Good news for all Boat Paddle ML tenor/concert owners

Andy Chen

Reaction score
Prices for these just went way up! On HMS, the new tenor (now under the name of Hoffmann Lutherie) is $2,850, and the concert goes for $2,450.

So, if you are looking to sell off your MLs, what a great time.

Never selling my ML-Tenor. Never.

Jerry made it just for me.

Last edited:
I hear you. Neither will I sell my custom A-tenor. It wasn't made for me, but it was the first ever made in the style.

Compared to today's prices, it was a steal.

Do you think the MLs will sell at these prices? (The current two on HMS sound fabulous, btw)

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Those seem like Asian market prices to me. I think Jerry's instruments are top quality when he goes high-end. And I don't doubt Andrew's instincts about pricing an instrument. Andrew has sold so many high end ukuleles and with this pricing he is saying that Jerry Hoffman's work is right up there.

What do you mean by "Asian market prices"?

The prices on HMS are for everyone.

Andrew has also been giving constructive suggestions to Jerry, so like with other top luthiers, I'm sure his instruments continue to improve. The test will be whether or not they move at this price point. The market will tell. Wish I had bought that Model A that HMS had a few months ago. Loved the tone on that one and the price seems even more amazing now. ;-)

Andrew has also been giving constructive suggestions to Jerry, so like with other top luthiers, I'm sure his instruments continue to improve. The test will be whether or not they move at this price point. The market will tell. Wish I had bought that Model A that HMS had a few months ago. Loved the tone on that one and the price seems even more amazing now. ;-)
Hoffmann has an A Style tenor on his web site for $995......won't last long. Wow, my Boat Paddle 12Fret is worth some $$....but NOT for sale/

I hear you. Neither will I sell my custom A-tenor. It wasn't made for me, but it was the first ever made in the style.

Compared to today's prices, it was a steal.

Do you think the MLs will sell at these prices? (The current two on HMS sound fabulous, btw)

Andy, who knows with the way uke prices are these days. Boat Paddle/Hoffman was always a bargain

There's a lot more time put into the ML body design and these have really cool features executed with a developed skill and artistic ability along with upgraded woods, gloss finish, a custom very well made hard case and are at a price along side other mainland builders like Kinnard or Collings that it compares to in quality. So if you consider his unique designs to be beautiful and value the work of a custom luthier then they are still a good value. We discount them as much as we can and he charges what he needs for the time involved. I don't tell Jerry what to charge and I think they're worth every penny. Just my two cents.

I'll add one more. How fast something sells and it's quality/value are different things.

Is Jerry still selling his ukulele from his website or is he going with HMS exclusive? His work looks great and I'd love to play a few of his unique and different styles. I've always loved the ML tenor and he is very innovative with his "pinned bridge" and new bridge set up and neck joints. I'm not saying the two at HMS aren't priced correctly but at $1300 - $1400 I could afford one. At double.... I"m not sure. I will keep watch both side.

He has two left on his web site. After that, according to his Facebook page, he will only do four full custom ukes per year. The others will go to HMS. From an April 10th posting on that page:

"There have been some major changes for Hoffmann Ukuleles. First, up to 24 high-end Hoffmann ukuleles a year will be sold throughtheukulelesite.com, and will no longer be sold on the HL website. I will also be doing about four custom ukuleles a year, and you can contact me about pricing and options. The first ukulele offered by the Ukulele Site can be seen and heard here: http://www.theukulelesite.com/hoffmann-lutherie-a-style-cus… (you may recognize this one from when it was shown in an earlier post). It was sold shortly after being listed, but two more will be available soon. There are still a few ukuleles listed on the HL website, and when they are gone, the page will be removed. Prices will be higher on the customs, and on instruments listed by the Ukulele Site, so this is the last chance to buy at the lower prices."

Last year Jerry made me a matching set , tenor and bari, out of the same wood billet (The Twins). I love them both. I can't image a reason I would ever part with them.

I was really surprised when I saw these at HMS and the new pricing. I wish him the best, but the door just slammed shut for my hopes of ordering a baritone from him. I'm lucky I got mine when prices were half what they are now.

In the almost two years since I started to play the uke and have been here at this forum, I have seen quite a few luthiers prices go up drastically once folks here started to post the ukes they bought. The power of the "underground"!

Good for Jerry. I wish him the best and I have no issues with luthiers charging prices they feel is representative of their work. If HMS backs him up, that is good enough for me.

I thought he should raise his prices; he posted that question on UU a while ago. Disappointing for those whose dreams of a Hoffman uke are made twice as hard to reach. But his designs are so different and it does take time, trial and error to develop them.

When we started Ko'olau in 1996 we were selling tenors for $400. Two things happen. One is the cost of living and doing business. The other is that your understanding and abilities evolve and should improve the value of what you are offering. Some things can improve efficiency but you are often taking even more time and putting even more pride into each instrument. Those that can afford it are usually grateful for this dedication. Those that can't or don't want to invest this much have many other options.

Charlie at I'iwi was just telling me last week that he thought his ukes were significantly better than a year ago. The ukulele world continues to have more serious builders that keep improving and players to match. That's part of why this community will only continue to grow.

The good news of this post, I suppose, would be that if you had bought one as an investment, you will possibly have a greater return. Not sure how that plays out, but it can't hurt. I would think.

Good for Jerry. I wish him the best and I have no issues with luthiers charging prices they feel is representative of their work. If HMS backs him up, that is good enough for me.

This is true. And then after that, market forces will take over. I wish Jerry all the best.

Top Bottom