PDA

View Full Version : Good news for all Boat Paddle ML tenor/concert owners

Andy Chen
05-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Prices for these just went way up! On HMS, the new tenor (now under the name of Hoffmann Lutherie) is $2,850, and the concert goes for $2,450.

So, if you are looking to sell off your MLs, what a great time.

NewKid
05-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Never selling my ML-Tenor. Never.

Jerry made it just for me.

Andy Chen
05-12-2015, 03:49 PM
I hear you. Neither will I sell my custom A-tenor. It wasn't made for me, but it was the first ever made in the style.

Compared to today's prices, it was a steal.

Do you think the MLs will sell at these prices? (The current two on HMS sound fabulous, btw)

NewKid
05-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Hi Andy,

Those seem like Asian market prices to me. I think Jerry's instruments are top quality when he goes high-end. And I don't doubt Andrew's instincts about pricing an instrument. Andrew has sold so many high end ukuleles and with this pricing he is saying that Jerry Hoffman's work is right up there.

Andy Chen
05-12-2015, 04:17 PM
What do you mean by "Asian market prices"?

The prices on HMS are for everyone.

Ukulele Eddie
05-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Andrew has also been giving constructive suggestions to Jerry, so like with other top luthiers, I'm sure his instruments continue to improve. The test will be whether or not they move at this price point. The market will tell. Wish I had bought that Model A that HMS had a few months ago. Loved the tone on that one and the price seems even more amazing now. ;-)

stevejfc
05-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Andrew has also been giving constructive suggestions to Jerry, so like with other top luthiers, I'm sure his instruments continue to improve. The test will be whether or not they move at this price point. The market will tell. Wish I had bought that Model A that HMS had a few months ago. Loved the tone on that one and the price seems even more amazing now. ;-)
Hoffmann has an A Style tenor on his web site for $995......won't last long. Wow, my Boat Paddle 12Fret is worth some $$....but NOT for sale/

stevejfc
05-12-2015, 04:48 PM
I hear you. Neither will I sell my custom A-tenor. It wasn't made for me, but it was the first ever made in the style.

Do you think the MLs will sell at these prices? (The current two on HMS sound fabulous, btw)

Andy, who knows with the way uke prices are these days. Boat Paddle/Hoffman was always a bargain

AndrewKuker
05-12-2015, 05:54 PM
There's a lot more time put into the ML body design and these have really cool features executed with a developed skill and artistic ability along with upgraded woods, gloss finish, a custom very well made hard case and are at a price along side other mainland builders like Kinnard or Collings that it compares to in quality. So if you consider his unique designs to be beautiful and value the work of a custom luthier then they are still a good value. We discount them as much as we can and he charges what he needs for the time involved. I don't tell Jerry what to charge and I think they're worth every penny. Just my two cents.

I'll add one more. How fast something sells and it's quality/value are different things.

Andy Chen
05-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Andy, who knows with the way uke prices are these days. Boat Paddle/Hoffman was always a bargain

This is definitely true.

M3Ukulele
05-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Is Jerry still selling his ukulele from his website or is he going with HMS exclusive? His work looks great and I'd love to play a few of his unique and different styles. I've always loved the ML tenor and he is very innovative with his "pinned bridge" and new bridge set up and neck joints. I'm not saying the two at HMS aren't priced correctly but at $1300 - $1400 I could afford one. At double.... I"m not sure. I will keep watch both side.

Ukulele Eddie
05-13-2015, 05:36 PM
He has two left on his web site. After that, according to his Facebook page, he will only do four full custom ukes per year. The others will go to HMS. From an April 10th posting on that page:

"There have been some major changes for Hoffmann Ukuleles. First, up to 24 high-end Hoffmann ukuleles a year will be sold throughtheukulelesite.com (http://theukulelesite.com/), and will no longer be sold on the HL website. I will also be doing about four custom ukuleles a year, and you can contact me about pricing and options. The first ukulele offered by the Ukulele Site can be seen and heard here: http://www.theukulelesite.com/hoffmann-lutherie-a-style-cus… (http://www.theukulelesite.com/hoffmann-lutherie-a-style-custom-tenor.html) (you may recognize this one from when it was shown in an earlier post). It was sold shortly after being listed, but two more will be available soon. There are still a few ukuleles listed on the HL website, and when they are gone, the page will be removed. Prices will be higher on the customs, and on instruments listed by the Ukulele Site, so this is the last chance to buy at the lower prices."

bariukish
05-14-2015, 06:59 AM
Last year Jerry made me a matching set , tenor and bari, out of the same wood billet (The Twins). I love them both. I can't image a reason I would ever part with them.

hammer40
05-14-2015, 08:04 AM
I was really surprised when I saw these at HMS and the new pricing. I wish him the best, but the door just slammed shut for my hopes of ordering a baritone from him. I'm lucky I got mine when prices were half what they are now.

In the almost two years since I started to play the uke and have been here at this forum, I have seen quite a few luthiers prices go up drastically once folks here started to post the ukes they bought. The power of the "underground"!

Recstar24
05-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Good for Jerry. I wish him the best and I have no issues with luthiers charging prices they feel is representative of their work. If HMS backs him up, that is good enough for me.

wayfarer75
05-14-2015, 09:03 AM
I thought he should raise his prices; he posted that question on UU a while ago. Disappointing for those whose dreams of a Hoffman uke are made twice as hard to reach. But his designs are so different and it does take time, trial and error to develop them.

AndrewKuker
05-14-2015, 12:30 PM
When we started Ko'olau in 1996 we were selling tenors for $400. Two things happen. One is the cost of living and doing business. The other is that your understanding and abilities evolve and should improve the value of what you are offering. Some things can improve efficiency but you are often taking even more time and putting even more pride into each instrument. Those that can afford it are usually grateful for this dedication. Those that can't or don't want to invest this much have many other options.

Charlie at I'iwi was just telling me last week that he thought his ukes were significantly better than a year ago. The ukulele world continues to have more serious builders that keep improving and players to match. That's part of why this community will only continue to grow.

The good news of this post, I suppose, would be that if you had bought one as an investment, you will possibly have a greater return. Not sure how that plays out, but it can't hurt. I would think.

Andy Chen
05-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Good for Jerry. I wish him the best and I have no issues with luthiers charging prices they feel is representative of their work. If HMS backs him up, that is good enough for me.

This is true. And then after that, market forces will take over. I wish Jerry all the best.

coolkayaker1
05-14-2015, 04:27 PM
So, if you are looking to sell off your MLs, what a great time.

Who would do such a thing?

Andy Chen
05-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Who would do such a thing?

Well, I may sell my Boat Paddle custom A-style tenor (with only side sound ports). Anyone keen?

Reason: I just placed an order for a custom Hive Hornet.

hammer40
05-14-2015, 04:48 PM

I guess you changed your mind on the selling thing.

soupking
05-14-2015, 04:57 PM
I guess you changed your mind on the selling thing.

No shame it that. There's often too much excitement to go around these parts. Looks like Andy is smitten with the Hives at present. I wish him luck with the sale. For my part, there honestly isn't a uke I've sold (A LOT NOW) that I don't miss in some form or fashion. But alas, these's a sensory overload here, and with so many good luthiers and ukuleles abounding, it' s hard to get a grasp on what's what. I just bought another HF-3 after selling all my tenors, so I was nostalgic and I'm loving it thus far. Haha. -- Matt

Andy Chen
05-14-2015, 05:06 PM
No shame it that. There's often too much excitement to go around these parts. Looks like Andy is smitten with the Hives at present. I wish him luck with the sale. For my part, there honestly isn't a uke I've sold (A LOT NOW) that I don't miss in some form or fashion. But alas, these's a sensory overload here, and with so many good luthiers and ukuleles abounding, it' s hard to get a grasp on what's what. I just bought another HF-3 after selling all my tenors, so I was nostalgic and I'm loving it thus far. Haha. -- Matt

Thanks, Matt. I really am smitten with the Hive. I have listened to so many sound samples on HMS and there's nothing like the Hive.

Just before I placed my order with Jake, I checked out other recordings of the Hive (perhaps recorded with less stellar equipment) and the uke still sounded fabulous.

Ukulele Eddie
05-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks, Matt. I really am smitten with the Hive. I have so many sound samples on HMS and there's nothing like the Hive.

Just before I placed my order with Jake, I checked out other recordings of the Hive (perhaps recorded with less stellar equipment) and the uke still sounded fabulous.

That was quicker than I expected, Andy! You won't be disappointed. I'm so in love with mine!

Andy Chen
05-14-2015, 05:14 PM
That was quicker than I expected, Andy! You won't be disappointed. I'm so in love with mine!

It's a keeper for you then, Eddie?

coolkayaker1
05-14-2015, 06:13 PM
I do agree with you, Andy Chen, that the Hive does sound unique compared to other tenors on brother Andrew's HMS videos.

There's a clarity there that is not often heard.

Ukulele Eddie
05-14-2015, 06:53 PM
It's a keeper for you then, Eddie?

Most definitely!

Andy Chen
05-14-2015, 06:58 PM
I do agree with you, Andy Chen, that the Hive does sound unique compared to other tenors on brother Andrew's HMS videos.

Not to mention the fat warm tone that is oh so lush.

coolkayaker1
05-15-2015, 12:48 AM
Not to mention the fat warm tone that is oh so lush.

Well, let's not get carried away now.

:p;)

Recstar24
05-15-2015, 05:01 AM

I think the same could be said for the ML tenors from Jerry. If you were looking for a more bass/midrange sound akin to an acoustic guitar, I think you found it right there - those ML tenors sound incredible in that regard, very different from the other tenors and ukes in general on HMS.

wayfarer75
05-15-2015, 05:43 AM
I think the same could be said for the ML tenors from Jerry. If you were looking for a more bass/midrange sound akin to an acoustic guitar, I think you found it right there - those ML tenors sound incredible in that regard, very different from the other tenors and ukes in general on HMS.

I agree. Everyone has different tastes. If we all like the same ukes/sounds there would only be one (very busy) luthier.

NewKid
05-15-2015, 06:14 AM
Congrats on your Hive order Andy! How long is Jake's wait list right now?

Recstar24
05-15-2015, 06:49 AM
I agree. Everyone has different tastes. If we all like the same ukes/sounds there would only be one (very busy) luthier.

"Taste" is a very good word choice. Especially when you start getting into more expensive higher quality custom made instruments, to be honest with you, they all sound good to me! When I listen to the samples on HMS, man everything sounds all good. Obviously a big part of that is due to the skill of the HMS players, but I think once you get to a certain threshold, the differences are less about quality and more about aesthetics as well as a specific "flavor" of sound that the builder has incorporated into the instrument.

hammer40
05-15-2015, 11:15 AM
I guess the new pricing didn't keep the concert from selling pretty quick at HMS. I wonder if we'll see a NUD thread soon? The tenor is still available.

Andy Chen
05-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Jake's wait list is 14 months long

Andy Chen
05-15-2015, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=hammer40;1695917]I guess the new pricing didn't keep the concert from selling pretty quick at HMS. I wonder if we'll see a NUD thread soon? The tenor is still available.[/QUOTE

Good for Jerry!