what what to do with broken ukulele:- help and ideas.

Mickeyj4j

Reaction score
Previously I posted about a crack I my baritone uke Crack in Soundboard

I tried to find the stuff recommended to fix it but failed to find the thin ply, guess I did not look hard enough.
So I forgot about it for a while. Now the crack has become worse.

I would love to add photos but am not able to do so in several browsers on my tablet in both mobile and full site. this is is a pain and you need to fix the website.

1. Is it still worth fixing the crack?
2. What tools will I ideally need now it's worse.

Sorry if it's too obvious but I have to ask, have you slackened off the string tension?

I just replied to your other 1 year old post.

Did you ever humidify the instrument. It seems you were led to trying to make silly little sponge filled hoses and missed the talk of using or building a humidity box. One of these sterlite under bed storage boxes fits my tenor and a concert I'm not sure about a baritone so you need to measure. Add two sandwich bags with two inexpensive mildew resistant sponges. Wet the sponges and place them in the plastic sandwich bags left open in the box with your instrument.

The crack would have likely mostly closed on its own, it still might.

You were also told about hide glue where I was told to use good old tightbond on mine. The method of getting glue in the crack is called the percussive method from my wanderings. My crack closed with humidity and after adding some tightbond using the percussive method it has remained stable for a year now. No cleats needed for me.

Otherwise your issue with not being able to post pictures with your tablet is likely on your end. I doubt the website needs fixing face it tablets are just giant phones (some with no phone). In other words they are small crippled computers.

1. Don't know you'll have to decide this one.
2. Likely the same ones you needed a year ago.

Good luck

Last edited:
Most stringed instruments are trying to pull themselves apart to some extent; an ukulele a lot less than a twelve string guitar but... Anytime an ukulele is damaged it is generally best to loosen the strings until it's repaired otherwise the string tension may exacerbate the problem.

My crack closed with humidity and after adding some tightbond using the percussive method it has remained stable for a year now.

Ouch InkyAl,

That sounds serious ...and painful !!!

F'naar

CJ

CeeJay, I think you've misinterpreted what InksplatterAl is saying, that's just a figure of speech. He doesn't mean a whole year, no one's crack could stay closed quite that long. It's the percussive method I find disturbing. Could not find that in the urban dictionary anywhere, but I have an idea what it is :(

CeeJay, I think you've misinterpreted what InksplatterAl is saying, that's just a figure of speech. He doesn't mean a whole year, no one's crack could stay closed quite that long. It's the percussive method I find disturbing. Could not find that in the urban dictionary anywhere, but I have an idea what it is :(

Oooerr ...I hadn't considered the percussive side of this discourse ....makes your eyes water, so it does ...:eek:

Are you coming to Ukulele World Congress?
If so, Burn it. That is what I do with one broken ukes a year. It is fun. Just take as much stuff as you can off that is metal or plastic, then throw it in and watch it BURN!!

Most stringed instruments are trying to pull themselves apart to some extent; an ukulele a lot less than a twelve string guitar but... Anytime an ukulele is damaged it is generally best to loosen the strings until it's repaired otherwise the string tension may exacerbate the problem.

Thats good because I have loosened the strings totally

Pads are little crippled computers.....LOL, so true! We have one, and it was a waste of money.

Top Bottom