UAS flare up

OscarmangoTE

Reaction score
I just confessed to my husband tonight that another ukulele was going to be delivered tomorrow. My kids told me to hide it for awhile but I decided to come clean. He took it well and said they needed to invent something like parental controls just for purchasing ukuleles. Does anyone else with uas have these kind of experiences.

I had hidden a uke at my office for months, until I could honestly say it was not a new purchase.

You just need enough ukes around so that 1 or 2 more aren't noticed. :)
Call it critical uke mass.

I just confessed to my husband tonight that another ukulele was going to be delivered tomorrow. My kids told me to hide it for awhile but I decided to come clean. He took it well and said they needed to invent something like parental controls just for purchasing ukuleles. Does anyone else with uas have these kind of experiences.

Ha Ha!

I kind of have this problem too. Nobody in my house really knows just HOW MANY ukes I ACTUALLY have other than, you know, like 4 or 5 or so....(and not the 16+ "OMG - what is your PROBLEM?!?!?!" would be the response if they found out the truth)

You just need enough ukes around so that 1 or 2 more aren't noticed. :)
Call it critical uke mass.

Yes, this works very well - I only have 4 out and hanging up at a time, and the rest are in cases in the back of the closet, and when asked "Is that one new?" I say 'no'...(and that it was in it's case in the closet, and since it's actually been there for 'months', it's not NEW anymore) so I'm not actually lying at all.... hehe :)

Nobody ever looks in the closet (that I know of), and if they do, they just see a bunch of cases....

of course there is a rotation about very fortnight as to which ukes are 'out' and which ukes are hibernating, so I keep everyone guessing...

Last edited:
Ha Ha!

I kind of have this problem too. Nobody in my house really knows just HOW MANY ukes I ACTUALLY have other than, you know, like 4 or 5 or so....(and not the 16+ "OMG - what is your PROBLEM?!?!?!" would be the response if they found out the truth)

That was a good Belly laugh, thanks Booli.

Yes, this works very well - I only have 4 out and hanging up at a time, and the rest are in cases in the back of the closet, and when asked "Is that one new?" I say 'no'...(and that it was in it's case in the closet, and since it's actually been there for 'months', it's not NEW anymore) so I'm not actually lying at all.... hehe :)

Nobody ever looks in the closet (that I know of), and if they do, they just see a bunch of cases....

of course there is a rotation about very fortnight as to which ukes are 'out' and which ukes are hibernating, so I keep everyone guessing...

I am feeling better about myself after reading this thread. Thanks all.

My wife has lost count of all things instrument. I add, subtract, add twice what I subtracted, then add again. My version of "new math".

They stopped making the show on A&E called "Hoarders". Maybe we should do a new one called "Uke Hoarders!"

Never needed to - all I would have to do is point to his four boats. I have a lot of ukulele buying to do to catch up.

He worked hard for his toys over the years, so he would never begrudge me working hard for mine. Both of our vices are paid for from overtime (him) and overload contracts (me).

Last edited:
UAS flare up..............all the time. I am successful at fighting it on occassion but eventually it wins out.

Fortunately I have a very supportive wife. There are stratagies to be employed, never mention a new purchase, never show her the new uke I am all excited about. Keep them in cases and rotate them in frequency of playing. I know I am not fooling her...........hell she can count.

She is happy that I am making music instead of drinking, gambling and having affairs. But yes I do luste over the next beautiful curly koa sweetie

Last edited:
I'm blissfully unwed. I let my UAS run wildly out of control. :drool: And you know what, my dogs never even mention it. ;)

I had hidden a uke at my office for months, until I could honestly say it was not a new purchase.

I did that with my last uke. Still got "the look" when I took it out of the car at home.

I'm tempted to get a uke ordered straight to work to keep as an 'office' uke for lunchbreaks but then I feel I'd want it at home as well. So I thought about buying one and keeping my Dolphin with the built-in tuner at work but the other half would notice.

Apparently even £30 on a uke is taking the piss. Thing is, a couple years ago, she used to do archery, which is another Gear Acquisition-heavy hobby. She stopped when she moved in with me as there were no clubs nearby but we've moved again so I got her some new limbs for her bow at Christmas. Turns out she feels guilty about paying the membership fee at a club and then the charge to actually shoot. So that's no longer a way to let me spend money on my hobby.

Then a conversation yesterday:

Her: "Honey my favourite perfume's on sale"
Me: "Buy it then"
Her: "No, that's for you to treat me with"
Me: "Fine, I'll get it then"
Her: "No we can't afford it"

So I figure next payday I'm just gonna buy her the perfume anyway and get myself a cheapy uke to feed my UAS. Say I'm keeping the Dolphin at work but I still need a high-G uke at home for if I need it for a Seasons video. Thankfully my uke-lust is normally focussed on ukes that I wouldn't normally be able to afford, so I can't even get tempted to buy them.

I employ all aforementioned subterfuge (and then some) to disguise my UAS. All black, nylon hard shell cases help. Closet and workplace storage rotations help. All ukuleles being shipped or received are possibly trades taking place. You can only use the explanation of "I won this in a contest or raffle!" one time. So use it wisely for THE ONE. I have yet to use this one. For unpacking ukuleles quickly keep a very large trash bag handy for dumping styrofoam peanuts or other messy packing material (also have a sharp box cutter blade). You want to unbox and blend that ukulele into the herd as fast as possible without making a mess. Keep a few empty cardboard shipping boxes around for decoys and trades.

It is possible to lie in wait, flag down the UPS truck, sign for a package, and get rid of the carrier before anyone notices (advanced skill for experienced UAS sufferers ONLY).

This is why it is important not to share your passions with spouses. I mean, if you didn't share, would your husband even know one ukulele from another? I learned that a long time ago. "What, you haven't seen this before, I've had it for years."

No one here has made a good case for being married that's for sure. :p

But hopefully everyone here is joking about being afraid to tell their spouse what they are up to.

Top Bottom