Pono mc mahogany

Rod Searle

Reaction score
Just checking with owners of the Pono MC Mahogany Uke.
I am unable to check and play and would appreciate comments
from the fine members of this site.
It seems a good buy for an Asian made uke.

I have the MCD-E that I got for a bargain price. I think that Pono mahogany and acacia concerts are great values. They are fairly light. I have Ko'olau Alohi strings on mine and it has a reasonably loud, well balanced tone. It is the uke I play most often when at meetups, workshops, etc. A cut above most Asian ukes. Don't hesitate to get one.

Last edited:
The Pono MC (Mahogany Concert) is a great, no frills, solid mahogany ukulele. The playability and intonation are very good for the price point. I purchased mine as a used instrument a few years ago from another UU member. I considered it my first reasonably good quality ukulele. It was the perfect ukulele when I was first learning to play and I think it accelerated my mastery of the basics. More expensive ukuleles won't make you sound better, but I still believe a good quality ukulele with a decent set up can help you avoid struggling with a piece of junk.

My Pono MC is strung with Oasis Low G strings (bright or warm, I can't remember). I carry mine a good deal on car road trips and vacations. It takes up a bit less room than my tenor ukuleles and the replacement cost isn't so much that I would be devastated should something happen to it. I would say that a Pono could be someone's one and only ukulele, if they never contracted UAS. ;)

I just received my first Pono Concert uke from HMS. Click the link to my blog, in my signature below, for a short write up about it.

Bottom line- love it!

I played a couple of them at a dealer near my home. I like them very much. They seem to be very carefully made and set up.
I personally like the Acacia better. The ones I played definitely had a bit more roundness to the sound than did their mahogany counterparts.

Top Bottom