Outdoor Ukulele Tenor update

actadh

Reaction score
From the Outdoor Ukulele FB page -

Outdoor Ukulele Tenor Update: We've been playing the first tenor test instruments, and are very impressed with the sound and durability. The molds are currently in transit to our new molder. When they arrive, we'll update you with production images and schedule. We have a waiting list numbering in the thousands, so production will be limited for the first 2 months.

Short list of improvements include Grover geared tuners, 2 piece construction, round neck, lower frets, lower action, and horn shaped nut slots for string relief.

Not from this company - OU tried to put it into production last year and had issues with the molder.

From the Outdoor Ukulele FB page -

Outdoor Ukulele Tenor Update: We've been playing the first tenor test instruments, and are very impressed with the sound and durability. The molds are currently in transit to our new molder. When they arrive, we'll update you with production images and schedule. We have a waiting list numbering in the thousands, so production will be limited for the first 2 months.

Short list of improvements include Grover geared tuners, 2 piece construction, round neck, lower frets, lower action, and horn shaped nut slots for string relief.

Doesn't matter to me. I ordered one of the last ones. When deadlines came and went I sent off emails galore for about a month just to find out what was going on. Not one time was I given the courtesy of a reply. And I don't remember for sure but either they had no phone or never answered it. So finally I called my credit card company and initiated proceedings to get my deposit back. A week later they refunded everyone. Had they just informed me that they would be doing that at least it would have saved me that hassle. I care not how good they are they have lost my business and support. It's only with our $ and recommendations that we can influence business practices. Otherwise mostly they aren't listening.

Last edited:
hmm....on their facebook page, they show an image of the tenor parts from may 2014...
I guess this is gonna be one of those waiting games where you shouldn't get excited until it's actually done.

has anyone made a plastic tenor before?

Blackbird and a few other small builders make tenors out of plastic/carbon fiber. (no inexpensive ones come to mind)
blackbird_tenor.jpg

Last edited:
More than a few disappointed customers...OU didn't even try to communicate their intentions in my case. Hoisted on their own petard. Not a good start.

I was rather disappointed myself as I signed up for the buy a tenor and get a soprano free that was available for a short time. If you ask me the people that were on the list last year and paid a deposit should be the first to have a chance to buy the current one. If it works out.

I was rather disappointed myself as I signed up for the buy a tenor and get a soprano free that was available for a short time. If you ask me the people that were on the list last year and paid a deposit should be the first to have a chance to buy the current one. If it works out.

This was asked on their FB site and they are going to try to notify the original customers first (those who ordered and were refunded.)

I am willing to give them another try. No word on price or if the free soprano package is still an option.

This is the new sound hole graphic that will be printed directly on the ukulele -

Attachments

• outdoor uke logo.jpg
    outdoor uke logo.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well problems arise. I have no issue with that. My issue is the way they dealt with their problems. It's truly beyond me why someone would not want to communicate with their customers when issues arise. That, IMO, is the very best way to keep your customer. Tell them the truth and tell them what to expect. That's very little to ask of someone when you plop your money down.

Like you I was very excited about that uke and was in their corner. Had I been treated with respect I'd still be a customer. For me, it's principle and sometimes my principles mean I have to lose out on some things. So be it. I'd rather actually live by my principles than own the best uke on the planet. Also it's subjectively sad that these ukes are made just a few miles from here. I'd love to buy locally.

Fortunately there are lots of other ukes out there to be loved.

Last edited:
Well problems arise. I have no issue with that. My issue is the way they dealt with their problems. It's truly beyond me why someone would not want to communicate with their customers when issues arise. That, IMO, is the very best way to keep your customer. Tell them the truth and tell them what to expect. That's very little to ask of someone when you plop your money down.

Like you I was very excited about that uke and was in their corner. Had I been treated with respect I'd still be a customer. For me, it's principle and sometimes my principles mean I have to lose out on some things. So be it. I'd rather actually live by my principles than own the best uke on the planet. Also it's subjectively sad that these ukes are made just a few miles from here. I'd love to buy locally.

Fortunately there are lots of other ukes out there to be loved.
I bought one of the sopranos. I'm not happy with it. Never could get it to tune. One of the tuners wouldn't turn except it big increments because it was stuck. Then the uke separated while tuning it. Had that on video. Lol. I'd be willing to try out the tenor. I almost put a deposit one the tenors back when it first came out, but decided that I'd rather wait to see if it was tunable.

I have two soprano's (1 in the car and 1 hangs near the bbq). i have enjoyed them and would want to replace them if lost or damaged.
They don’t sound great but that was never the point. They are super sturdy and unaffected by the elements.
I was looking forward to the Tenor and placed my order early. I was never concerned about the issues they had - i could wait -- i was not happy when they refunded my money.
Their communication or lack of turned disappointment into anger (for lack of a better word)
and i basically gave up. Checking the web site and face book was depressing with posts begging for info on this product.
i want it but -- I kinda don’t want to support a company that thinks so little of there customers. Maybe just an over reaction.

Trying to manufacture a new product is very challenging, and I know they have had some bad luck getting everything worked out. They had some expensive delays, and they are no doubt overwhelmed with all the extra work that has been caused. I understand how hard it can be to run a small company, and sometimes you need more employees, but can't afford to scale up to that size yet. I do know that they have totally new molds now, and that things should be much better as soon as their production line becomes experienced on producing the plastic ukes. It takes a lot of money, worry, and sweat to get a project like that off the ground, so I would cut them a little slack. They are just normal folks like you and me, and they didn't give up and close down when they hit some bad luck. I know they should have done better with their customer service, but I am glad they are dedicated enough to their vision that they are willing to go forward despite their mistakes. If all goes well, they might be able to hire someone to do customer service in the future, and that would be great.

–Lori

I never got the impression that they have considered their previous actions a mistake.

Yes people are just people. Prisons are full of them and I see no reason not to hold to some standards in business conduct.

I was satisfied with their communication. I was fine with the company handling updates through their Facebook page as that was the fastest way for them to get information out to the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time. This is a fairly new company. It wasn't until the molding glitch in March/April that they became overwhelmed, and that was an unfortunate, but unforeseen situation.

I am with Lori and others in that I am willing to cut them some slack. I have been in customer service all of my working life, and I did not feel slighted by them at all. In fact, I was pleased that they listened to the feedback from the soprano customers and made significant changes in the tenor for a better ukulele playing experience.

Not everyone uses facebook. So it's alright if they ignore repeated emails and other attempts at contact from customers? Well, to each their own.

wait.. so they sent some out, or they sent none? I'm confused. There are demo's on their facebook.

Top Bottom