I want to share the UKe love this summer"

JB in Alabama

Reaction score
I rent my beach house in June and July to help pay the annual bills and want to leave a uke for the folks staying to play. The ones I have are too nice to get abused. So I'm not leaving that old Kamaka Pineapple.
I have an outdoor uke, but it's a pain to tune/keep in tune so that is out.

I saw a kala today while in a surf shop for $80 the tuners seemed ok and the body was plastic. Should hold up fine......but any other suggestions?

Thanks and spread the love,

I've been using Makala Dolphins as loaners for newbies at my regular Ukulele meet ups for about five years, all with Aquila strings. They stay in tune really well and they have withstood a fair amount of tough handling. At my meet up last night I heard one of them hit the hard tile floor pretty hard, when it was accidently knocked off a table, without suffering any harm.

One of them is also the one I take with me when I travel or go kayaking or hiking and has survived plenty of knocks in aeroplane lockers and back packs but still plays really well. Surprisingly tough and versatile little ukes really for the money. My grandkids have one each and don't exactly handle them with kid gloves either, without doing any noticeable damage. The plastic bodies get the odd little chip here and there but that's all.

Last edited:
I have a regular Kala laminate concert that is remarkably durable and yet very playable. I also have a Mainland Gecko (same as a dolphin) that lives in my desk drawer at work.

A few years ago we popped over to the Big Island for a long Weekend and I did NOT take an ukulele - first time EVER traveling without one - and to my surprise when we arrived at the place there was a wall hanger ukulele. It had three strings and was very dusty, but I cleaned it up, went down to Hilo Guitars and bought a set of Hilo strings for four bucks and tuned it up and had a perfectly playable ukulele for the weekend!

So you never know, some of your tenants might be players and take better care of it that you might think.

Aloha!

Amazon Kealoha uke 45 bucks and plays very well and you can take it to the beach. Hell, write some simple chord diagrams on the back in permanent marker :) Here's my vid of one short review at the end.

Thanks for sharing that. It put a big smile on my face. I admit I was more interested in you than the uke. It's great to get a look at the posters here doing their thing. Thanks again.

Top Bottom