PDA

View Full Version : How long do new stings take to settle?

rayan
03-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry guys, my uke noobness is showing.

How long do new strings usually take to settle in? My KPK that I got yesterday is still slipping a little.

Is this the strings or the tuners?

On my guitars it usually takes about a day for steel strings to settle, nylon strings must take a little longer I'm assuming?

strongergodzilla
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
ive seen people say anywhere from a few days, to a week or two (:eek:) but it probably has a lot to do with how well you stretch the strings.
you can actually get string settling confined to just a day or two. if you have ever strung a classical string guitar then you probably already have an idea of what you should do, nukedoc shows a similar technique for string stretching in a video where you simply hook your finger under a string, tune it up about a half step, or a whole, but not much more out of risk of strings breaking, and pull up on the string slowly for a few inches, or until its pretty tight on your finger, rinse repeat ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/strongergodzilla/l2_f7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/strongergodzilla/DSC_2361.jpg

these guys are doing some pretty tame stretching, nylon can be pulled up a bit higher

that ought to take out a lot of the slack in the strings, just take it slow so you dont snap a string in the process. also remember to always tune UP to youre note, as opposed to down. with a steel string acoustic its a lot less of an issue, but with nylon it basically ensures you will get a flat string after a few minutes of playing if you tune down to pitch as opposed to up to pitch. if you miss your mark, always tune down a little and retune up

anyways, you can always expect slippage on new strings, but itll go away with more playing time!

koa
03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Not sure if it's the type of material the strings are made of or the brand.
The Worth Brn flurocarbons seem to settle in the quickest. 2-3 days of playing. The Aquila nylguts I tried for ~1 year took at least a week of constantly retuning while playing. Maybe another week before they really settled in. I don't prestretch. Just endure the retuning process.

Personal preference is the tone of the Worths. Also nice that they seem to last a long time. Nice not having to restring and retune often.

Ukulele_Junkie
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
well if MGM used some aquilas on there without doing the manual string pull like nuke did in his video than those will take quite a long time. When i installed my aquilas i was doing that technique for a good 10-20 mins. And i was ready to play in a matter of a day without it going outta tune badly.

Misguided Musician
03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Shouldn't take long. Prolly 2 days tops. Just give tune it a little higher and give it a little slack and it should be ready to play by the next day. Well it could be your tuners also. If it's possible, try tightening your tuners.

davoomac
03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
When I installed the J71's on my Kala it took about 1 day for the strings to stop slipping and detuning themselves. I did some of the manual string stretching stuff, but not more than 5-10 minutes worth.

studentaccount1
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry guys, my uke noobness is showing.

How long do new strings usually take to settle in? My KPK that I got yesterday is still slipping a little.

Is this the strings or the tuners?

On my guitars it usually takes about a day for steel strings to settle, nylon strings must take a little longer I'm assuming?

You're right they take longer. For me about a day of constant stretching and playing. If you have the kind that you knot at the end, it helps to stretch them a bit after you initially put them on to get all the slack out of the knot. From then, I just play and retune until it settles down a bit.

david98116
03-03-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't know if mine were pre-stretched or what but my Aquilas that came stock on my Kanile'a need barely any tuning at all after the first day. Even then it was like a 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the tuners.

rayan
03-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys. I think they're starting to settle, only the G is really being a pain now.