HPL & Ultra thin laminate......

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Kiwaya make a Eco series soprano using wha they call "ultra thin laminate". Never played one but others really like them.

Martin make an OXK soprano ( and guitars) out of whay they call HPL -"high pressure laminate"

I don't really know what these are like but for travel ukulele they have a certain appeal for durability. I've read they sound pretty good.

I'm wondering why either company doesn't make a tenor with this material?

Any thoughts?

Dunno about martin. Apparently they have a full sized guitar made with HPL.

HPL for the Martin OXK refers to high pressure laminate. It's a laminate of paper, binding adhesive, and a wood grain top sheet. It's similar to Formica.

I saw the thread title and thought, "I didn't know H.P. Lovecraft played 'uke! Maybe a Cthulh'uke?"

I'd like to try a HPL tenor if Martin would ever make one. My OXK has been a great all weather travel uke and can stand on it's musical merits as well.
How about it Martin, is there a HPL tenor on the drawing board? How about solid ceder on HPL back and sides!

My feeling as well. I'm sure Martin would sell a ton of tenors with HPL for that take anywhere ukulele. I think Kiwaya has a great name and they use "ultra thin laminate" not sure the difference because I have never play a OXK soprano or a Eco series from Kiwaya being a tenor guy but I'd certainly look at one.

Top Bottom