Yewkulele

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
We have this fabulous wood in Wales - Yew/Taxus bacata. I believe it grows out in california and the berries are used in medicine. Anyway here is a nice pic:

DSCF6247.jpg

and a link to a youtube video...

This kind of grain actually reminds me very much of wood as it exists in the everyday environment. The darkish spot, the wide grain on the lower left... Not many people will have seen curly koa or whatever until they are abundantly rich and get an over-the-top instrument in comparison to their playing abilities (me, except for the rich part), but for some reason this yew reminds me of a school desk, or a blank wooden bookshelf or some other very familiar piece of life when I was little. I like the looks of this instrument very much, the intimate and cozy girl-next-door (btw, my ukulele is called Jack) attitude that it seems to radiate, but with a good touch of elegance. It seems like you've known her for all your life, so nice and friendly, but definitely no pushover and with that I conclude my borderline sexist comparison...

I hope my on-sight review does not put you off, sometimes a "Nice uke Pete, how much is it?" just seems a bit too bland.

Last edited:
Man... if I got a dollar for every post whore on these forums, I could buy that uke! ;)

I'd like to say it's for sale but of course, like all of my work, it is a commissioned piece. However in line with all starting price Howlett sopranos it is: $699 + $45 shipping in a box an elephant could sit on...

Include the elephant and I'll take it!

:p

Jeez, elephant shipping rates from the UK would be...

The visual simplicity of that yewkulele is what makes it work fo rme. Nicely done.

I spose you'll be asking the price on the elephant next? Sorry folks, she's not for sale:rotfl:

Top Bottom