2013 Kamaka Ohta-San

Status
Not open for further replies.

janeray1940

Reaction score
Will try to get better pics up when it stops raining, and will post a sound sample later today. I've made the somewhat heartbreaking decision to sell my Ohta-San, as I'm facing the reality that it's just too big for my little hands - playing it causes me pain in the left hand, and I'd rather play smaller ukes and have no pain than take the risk of setting myself up to not be able to play at all some day.

What can I say - it's a koa-top Ohta-San! I bought it new in March 2014, it has a build date of Sep 29, 2013, and it's been played and well cared for ever since. As with all my ukes, it has a strap button installed and will ship in the Kamaka case that it came with. Specs from the Kamaka site:
Also known as "Ohta-san," this bell-shaped ukulele was designed by Sam Kamaka Jr. and Herbert Ohta in 1965. It produces sharp, clear tones, and was designed primarily for picking purposes. Deluxe features are rosewood binding, rope purfling, and a rope rosette around the sound hole. The fingerboard and bridge are ebony.

Overall length: 24-3/4"
Scale length: 15-15/16"
Total # frets: 18
Frets to the body: 14
MSRP: $1995

I'm asking $1500, shipped, fully insured, UPS ground, CONUS only, Paypal only. Sorry, overseas folks - past attempts to use the postal service to ship have been nervewracking and fraught with the stress of USPS not offering insurance over a certain amount (far less than the cost of this instrument). Will lower price to $1400 for an in-person sale in Santa Monica, CA. Not interested in trades; I like to keep my uke collection to a minimum and I've already got what I need.

IMG_0993.jpgIMG_0994.jpg

Apologies for the bad pics, will try to get more up ASAP.

Last edited:
So sorry to read that you have to let this great instrument go. This model keeps haunting me because it's so beautiful and unique. Maybe one day...

Best of luck with your sale and I hope it's replacement is worthy.

So sorry to read that you have to let this great instrument go. This model keeps haunting me because it's so beautiful and unique. Maybe one day...

Best of luck with your sale and I hope it's replacement is worthy.

Thanks! In its place I've acquired a brand-new Kamaka HF-1L longneck (concert neck) soprano, which is probably the most perfect uke I could ever dream of. I'm really happy with how things turned out, and I hope the future owner of the Ohta-San is equally pleased :)

I so wish I had the cash to take this off your hands.

I've become mostly a tenor/bari player, but for this Ohta-San, I'd make an exception.

The new owner will be a very lucky person indeed, especially since this uke will have the nurturing Janeray1940 mojo embedded deeply within.

I so wish I had the cash to take this off your hands.

I've become mostly a tenor/bari player, but for this Ohta-San, I'd make an exception.

The new owner will be a very lucky person indeed, especially since this uke will have the nurturing Janeray1940 mojo embedded deeply within.

This would probably be a good fit for a tenor/bari player - my tenor playing friends have all found it really comfortable. In recent weeks it's been played by some far better players than myself so hopefully some of *that* mojo will carry over!

If the sale falls through, PM me. I will pay a little more for FedEx to Singapore.

Congratulation on the sale, M.

So, are you playing primarily concert scale or sop scale these days?

I didn't think this would last long. I'm sorry it doesn't work for your hands; I'm getting a tenor and I hope I won't have to sell it for the same reason.

If the sale falls through, PM me. I will pay a little more for FedEx to Singapore.

I'll keep that in mind, Andy, thanks!

Congratulation on the sale, M.

So, are you playing primarily concert scale or sop scale these days?

Primarily concert scale - regular Kamaka concert for low G, and Kamaka concert-neck soprano for almost everything else, but I also play my soprano pineapple pretty regularly.

I didn't think this would last long. I'm sorry it doesn't work for your hands; I'm getting a tenor and I hope I won't have to sell it for the same reason.

I hope you don't have to! I had already had the experience of finding concert necks too big (when I first started playing) but kept at it and now they're my favorite. I thought the same would happen with the Ohta-San, but that 15/16" difference was just a bit too much - I just didn't make the progress I had hoped for, and when the pain issues started, I figured that was time for me to admit defeat. Live and learn :)

I never knew the neck wasn't the normal concert size til you informed us. I have always wanted one of these but have only played tenor sized ukes for years now and sold all my concert sized ones. I'll have to look at these again to see if they fit the size that I prefer.

looks really great. Sounds should be as good as it looks too.

I never knew the neck wasn't the normal concert size til you informed us. I have always wanted one of these but have only played tenor sized ukes for years now and sold all my concert sized ones. I'll have to look at these again to see if they fit the size that I prefer.

I agree, ukeman; I learned from this thread, too. It appears the OS is almost one inch longer than a typical concert scale (15 15/16ths instead of 15 0/16ths). No wonder it was a touch long for JR40. Understandable.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/kamaka-concert-bell-shaped-deluxe-ohta-san.html

I sure like the tenor and soprano scales. Concerts just seem in that fuzzy "middle" to me; but I know opinions vary widely. Fun!

I am going to bump this in case it hasn't sold. As another Ohta-San owner, I can tell you all that this is a really fine ukulele. Mine came from the factory tuned low G. I don't think Janeray1940 indicated what tuning hers is in, but I can say it sounds mighty fine either way (high or low G). Don't pass this up if you are even thinking that someday an Ohta-San is in your future. These play and sound really nice. I am sure that if it weren't for Janeray1940's hand issues, she would be keeping it. I can't imagine these turn up used very often. Mine sure won't. These ukuleles are both a real pleasure to look at and to play. :)

Tony

That is a great testament to the virtues of this model, tbeltrans. Good shared experience, thanks.

As I recall, one reason M migrated away from the sop, and even tried this OS, was bc the soprano would often get drowned out in her uke group. If you ever want to try a vintage Martin--say, circa 1940, if you desire :rolleyes: -- just let me know, M. Dried out vintage 'hog, these things are little cherry bombs. Buy or loan to you, no problem. I have them coming out of my ears! Lol

Last edited:
wow, 2 ota-sans for sale here at once. I guess yours is sold. I have been sorely tempted. I mostly play low g and didn't think a concert would sound good low g until I recently put one on my Koaloha and OMG it sounds awesome, and it is much easier to play some stretch chords. a little cramped up the neck but life is full of these little trade offs. a little longer neck might just be the ticket for me.

I am going to bump this in case it hasn't sold. As another Ohta-San owner, I can tell you all that this is a really fine ukulele. Mine came from the factory tuned low G. I don't think Janeray1940 indicated what tuning hers is in, but I can say it sounds mighty fine either way (high or low G). Don't pass this up if you are even thinking that someday an Ohta-San is in your future. These play and sound really nice. I am sure that if it weren't for Janeray1940's hand issues, she would be keeping it. I can't imagine these turn up used very often. Mine sure won't. These ukuleles are both a real pleasure to look at and to play. :)

Tony

Thanks Tony, and you are so right - this would have been a keeper had the hand problems not started. I've already sprained my left hand once attempting to play tenor (which caused a week or so with no playing) so I've been really cautious this time around.

They do ship from the factory strung low G - but I've played mine both low G and reentrant and it's equally good.

That is a great testament to the virtues of this model, tbeltrans. Good shared experience, thanks.

As I recall, one reason M migrated away from the sop, and even tried this OS, was bc the soprano would often get drowned out in her uke group. If you ever want to try a vintage Martin--say, circa 1940, if you desire :rolleyes: -- just let me know, M. Dried out vintage 'hog, these things are little cherry bombs. Buy or loan to you, no problem. I have them coming out of my ears! Lol

Volume has long been an issue for me - the ukes I've kept have all been the loudest, actually, and I've started to compensate by using a thumb pick when playing in my ensemble - this gives me a lot more volume than my wimpy little nails.

I've actually played a number of vintage Martins (which led to ordering a custom based on their sound) - I really like them, but the sopranos and concerts don't have enough frets (except the 3K and 3M, both out of my affordability range). The vintage Martin tenors have a nice slim neck that I find pretty playable, and I've considered a couple, but they have what I consider a dealbreaker: bridge pins! Hate the darned things.

wow, 2 ota-sans for sale here at once. I guess yours is sold. I have been sorely tempted. I mostly play low g and didn't think a concert would sound good low g until I recently put one on my Koaloha and OMG it sounds awesome, and it is much easier to play some stretch chords. a little cramped up the neck but life is full of these little trade offs. a little longer neck might just be the ticket for me.

Most concerts sound great low G, in my experience - but the Ohta-San really is a sound all its own, so if you have both tenors and concerts I think you could find a place for an OS as well :)

The vintage Martin tenors have a nice slim neck that I find pretty playable, and I've considered a couple, but they have what I consider a dealbreaker: bridge pins! Hate the darned things.

If you can get by the bridge pin issues I have a very nice 14 fret to the body vintage Martin Tenor that I would trade towards your ohta san. Most are pre 1960 with 12 frets to the body. money your way in a trade.

cheers.

Most concerts sound great low G, in my experience - but the Ohta-San really is a sound all its own, so if you have both tenors and concerts I think you could find a place for an OS as well :)[/QUOTE]

The vintage Martin tenors have a nice slim neck that I find pretty playable, and I've considered a couple, but they have what I consider a dealbreaker: bridge pins! Hate the darned things.

If you can get by the bridge pin issues I have a very nice 14 fret to the body vintage Martin Tenor that I would trade towards your ohta san. Most are pre 1960 with 12 frets to the body. money your way in a trade.

cheers.

Most concerts sound great low G, in my experience - but the Ohta-San really is a sound all its own, so if you have both tenors and concerts I think you could find a place for an OS as well :)
[/QUOTE]

Thanks - the uke has been sold (but I'm keeping this open until it's shipped tomorrow), and at this point I'm not really interested in more ukes - I have three that I love and that's quite enough :)

The uke is now on its way to its new home! Thanks UU, and thanks all for the discussion, it's been enjoyable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom