Replacement tuners for harmony baritone

bunnyf

Reaction score
Can someone recommend replacement tuners for my old (40s/50s) Harmony baritone? I have taken them apart and fiddled with them but they are still ineffective holding a tune. I don't mind staying with peg tuners (though I prefer geared). I would love to not have to do any drilling, but could if needed, but no tapering or recessing or fancy stuff.

I got a set from a friend, not sure what brand they are but I did no drilling ..just install it works great.
20150515_223429.jpg
If you have these older tuners too, I would buy them from you..green label harmony
Have you tried felt washers to make them from slipping?

Attachments

• DSC01288.jpg
    DSC01288.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I did Stan and it didn't help. Then I added some metal washers. The hold for a bit but not long in my opinion! I have tightened down the set screw as much as possible w/o it being hurky jerky tight. I just want it to be easy and smooth tuning. I know it's not a great uke but I would at least want the tuners to be decent. You are welcome to the ones on there as soon as I swap them out.

camsuke They look just like what I'd want but I thought that I had looked at a vid from HMS showing the install on those and they looked tricky, tapered, recess or something else fancy tool wise, but I could be remembering incorrectly. But if these are truly just drop in and go, that would be perfect. Exactly what model tuner is this, so I can look on line. Thanx

I did Stan and it didn't help. Then I added some metal washers. The hold for a bit but not long in my opinion! I have tightened down the set screw as much as possible w/o it being hurky jerky tight. I just want it to be easy and smooth tuning. I know it's not a great uke but I would at least want the tuners to be decent. You are welcome to the ones on there as soon as I swap them out.
did you try felt washers ?? try them first

Thanks ukerdanno, I actually was looking at those and they look like a simple install. But I wasn't sure after I started watching other installation videos. Some showed tapering like Pegheads, gotoh showed recessing and so I wanted to make sure I was ordering something without a hassle install.

Fitting PEGHEDS really is not a big hassle if one has the reaming tool. This is not a sales pitch...this is personal testimony... I immensely dislike gears with ears sticking out the sides. Friction tuners are disliked even more. I have kicked around the idea of "renting" a reamer with a set. The price would include the cost to 'buy the reamer', when done with it, send it back to me and get your rent money back. The only bad transaction I have ever had with all of the PEGHEDS that have gone out, was the nonreturn of my 5th peg reamer from a fellow in Pittsburgh, PA (my old home town). He could have been killed in a car wreck for all I know, but my reamer didn't make it back. Everytime I tune one of my ukes with them on it, it is such a pleasant experience. I like the way any up and down tuner fits in a case. PEGHEDS really do change the weight of the headstock. On a banjo uke...who could notice?

Since I do chip carving and scroll saw projects, turning the reamer is relaxing, not a cause of stress. My wife loves to knit and crochet...that would drive me crazy!!! Individual differences are great.

Our Harmony bari will DEFINATLEY not have gear tuners put on it! yuck! I dislike friction tuners as well, but the planetary tuners are so expensive. I think I'll try a new set of friction tuners first, then if that doesn't work, I'll hurt my bank account for the Gotohs....Tammy can't play the darn thing the way it is.....

I'm with you Nickie. The original tuners are rubbish! I can't get through1/2 a song with out them slipping and no amount of fiddling has helped. I thought of peg heads or planetary but the are pricey. I'd go for the big bucks if this was my daily player, but it's not, so I'm thinking I will go with something that is good enough. Someone sent me a link for Grover friction tuners that look to be just an easy drop in replacement and only $12. Has to be a huge improvement over what's on there now.

Top Bottom