PDA

View Full Version : Replacement tuners for harmony baritone

bunnyf
05-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Can someone recommend replacement tuners for my old (40s/50s) Harmony baritone? I have taken them apart and fiddled with them but they are still ineffective holding a tune. I don't mind staying with peg tuners (though I prefer geared). I would love to not have to do any drilling, but could if needed, but no tapering or recessing or fancy stuff.

mm stan
05-15-2015, 10:40 PM
I got a set from a friend, not sure what brand they are but I did no drilling ..just install it works great.
If you have these older tuners too, I would buy them from you..green label harmony
Have you tried felt washers to make them from slipping?

Camsuke
05-16-2015, 01:11 PM
These may suit; http://www.japarts.ca/Gotoh/Gotoh-Products-UPT.asp79683 They could just bolt right in with no drilling. I can highly recommend these tuners, they work well and look great.

bunnyf
05-16-2015, 03:29 PM
I did Stan and it didn't help. Then I added some metal washers. The hold for a bit but not long in my opinion! I have tightened down the set screw as much as possible w/o it being hurky jerky tight. I just want it to be easy and smooth tuning. I know it's not a great uke but I would at least want the tuners to be decent. You are welcome to the ones on there as soon as I swap them out.

bunnyf
05-16-2015, 03:35 PM
camsuke They look just like what I'd want but I thought that I had looked at a vid from HMS showing the install on those and they looked tricky, tapered, recess or something else fancy tool wise, but I could be remembering incorrectly. But if these are truly just drop in and go, that would be perfect. Exactly what model tuner is this, so I can look on line. Thanx

Camsuke
05-16-2015, 03:49 PM
These have a straight shaft. Pegheds require a taper.

mm stan
05-16-2015, 04:31 PM
I did Stan and it didn't help. Then I added some metal washers. The hold for a bit but not long in my opinion! I have tightened down the set screw as much as possible w/o it being hurky jerky tight. I just want it to be easy and smooth tuning. I know it's not a great uke but I would at least want the tuners to be decent. You are welcome to the ones on there as soon as I swap them out.
did you try felt washers ?? try them first

UkerDanno
05-16-2015, 04:33 PM
can't beat the price, probably work pretty good...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grover-Ukulele-Tuning-Machines-Friction-Tuning-Pegs-White-Set-of-4-/371251280019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56704cf893

bunnyf
05-17-2015, 02:30 AM
Thanks ukerdanno, I actually was looking at those and they look like a simple install. But I wasn't sure after I started watching other installation videos. Some showed tapering like Pegheads, gotoh showed recessing and so I wanted to make sure I was ordering something without a hassle install.

UkerDanno
05-17-2015, 02:50 AM
this shows the specs, should be a dropin...
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Ukulele/Grover_Ukulele_Friction_Pegs_Nickel_set_of_4.html

TheCraftedCow
05-18-2015, 05:25 AM
Fitting PEGHEDS really is not a big hassle if one has the reaming tool. This is not a sales pitch...this is personal testimony... I immensely dislike gears with ears sticking out the sides. Friction tuners are disliked even more. I have kicked around the idea of "renting" a reamer with a set. The price would include the cost to 'buy the reamer', when done with it, send it back to me and get your rent money back. The only bad transaction I have ever had with all of the PEGHEDS that have gone out, was the nonreturn of my 5th peg reamer from a fellow in Pittsburgh, PA (my old home town). He could have been killed in a car wreck for all I know, but my reamer didn't make it back. Everytime I tune one of my ukes with them on it, it is such a pleasant experience. I like the way any up and down tuner fits in a case. PEGHEDS really do change the weight of the headstock. On a banjo uke...who could notice?

Since I do chip carving and scroll saw projects, turning the reamer is relaxing, not a cause of stress. My wife loves to knit and crochet...that would drive me crazy!!! Individual differences are great.

Nickie
05-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Our Harmony bari will DEFINATLEY not have gear tuners put on it! yuck! I dislike friction tuners as well, but the planetary tuners are so expensive. I think I'll try a new set of friction tuners first, then if that doesn't work, I'll hurt my bank account for the Gotohs....Tammy can't play the darn thing the way it is.....

bunnyf
05-21-2015, 12:23 AM
I'm with you Nickie. The original tuners are rubbish! I can't get through1/2 a song with out them slipping and no amount of fiddling has helped. I thought of peg heads or planetary but the are pricey. I'd go for the big bucks if this was my daily player, but it's not, so I'm thinking I will go with something that is good enough. Someone sent me a link for Grover friction tuners that look to be just an easy drop in replacement and only $12. Has to be a huge improvement over what's on there now.