Poll: Low G vs. Standard tuning

Low G vs. Standard tuning

• Low G

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Standard

Votes: 35 66.0%

• Total voters
I'm not going to vote... Whichever I said today, tomorrow I would say the opposite :D

I am of the same opinion as deach. I don't have a uke tuned low G, but I'm workin' on it (that way, I can play Classical Gas). :shaka:

Didn't vote because I play both...it depends on the song.

Trying to determine the popularity of low G tuning vs. standard tuning.
1) What will you be doing with the information? Why do you ask?
2) It may not be a question of popularity...
3) Check the many other threads on high/low, they all end up without a conclusion, or only that "whatever suits you is fine" >> deach's reaction.

Didn't vote because, although my general preference is for re-entrant, low G has its place too and I'm kinda getting into it.

My two playable ukes are both re-entrant, and I like them that way. Like most uke players, I'd rather just get a whole 'nother uke for low G than change what already works on my two favorites. ;)

I only use low g on my tenor because of the size of the neck/it's playability, the deep richness and resonance of the large body..etc, I am constantly using the lower notes that the low g supplies.

However, on my smaller sized ukes(soprano/sopranino), I use high g, the low g just doesn't ring on them, and the high g compliments the livelier, brighter sound that the smaller body ukes produce.

I've tried high G'ing my tenor....it's just not the sound I'm looking for when I play a tenor model which IMO is supposed to be deeper, richer, more full/resonating sound than small body ukes. I leave the "high" sounds for my smaller ukes and don't try and make my tenor what it isn't.

If that makes sense, its all personal preference anyway

although I did start learning stringed instruments on the guitar...

Last edited:
I chose low g, though I normally play an 8 string tenor with both a high and low g.

My last uke purchase was a concert Flea with rosewood fretboard. It's strung as a low g.

I have several sopranos. (I never play them.) They're all high g.

:shaka:
Aldon

Last edited:
Had a Low G Pro Arte' Kala KA-T Tenor but restrung it High g Aquilla the other day to see how it would sound...
Had a Low G Soprano for a while but restrung it High g.

So right now everything is High g.

While I pretty much agree that the re-entrant tuning feels a lot more authentic, the low g seems to fit my style a lot better. I'm a solo act, playing all original material and I think that the solo low-g just fills a room better than a solo re-entrant. I find it easier to sing along with, too..

My sopranos, super soprano, and concerts are standard but my tenor is low G.
It's all good. :shaka:

I play standard re-entrant on both the soprano and the tenor. But I am going to try switching over to low G on the tenor once I finish my ukulele lessons in May.

What will you be doing with the information? Why do you ask?
I have a Kamaka Tenor, low g, and I am looking at buying a new Tenor or Concert and am trying to determine how I would like it strung. There are no stores in my area for me to try a high g out.

What will you be doing with the information? Why do you ask?
I have a Kamaka Tenor, low g, and I am looking at buying a new Tenor or Concert and am trying to determine how I would like it strung. There are no stores in my area for me to try a high g out.

Ask the seller to throw in an extra string in case you don't like the tuning.

low g because of the range. maybe i should run both set ups though. just to alternate back and forth. :)

I would have to say low G. I play mostly tenors (though the 8 string has both) with low G and my one concert is a Jupiter Creek electric which is also low G. Not as if its going to sound authentic anyway. And one Tenor I have tuned Baritone tuning using ADGB classical guitar strings tuned up to DGBE to fit the tenor scale length at the proper tension. I'll probably change that when I get a Baritone. My son's cheap-0 $30 soprano is reentrant though.

Has anybody ever used ADGC tuning (EADG classical guitar strings tuned up 5 steps) as a sort of "Bass" ukulele for accomanyment? It would be like the lowest 4 strings of a Guitalele. A friend of mine is a bass player and hes great at just playing rythym uke along with me, but It'd be pretty cool to have him playing a tenor in ADGB ukulele "Bass" part while I played on a reentrant concert or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom