Oahu Trip / Uke adventure

tw62862

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I just got back from a 10 day trip to Oahu. In addition to hiking, snorkeling, and general Hawaiian vacation activities...I got in some "uke adventures". I took a tour of the Ko'olau/Pono uke factory (see separate post for pics)

I also made it a point to visit HMS and Ukulele PuaPua. Here are some pics for anyone interested.

This is Corey and Noah at Hawaiian Music Supply in Haleiwa. I also met Aaron, but unfortunately I didn't take pictures that day. They're all very cool and friendly.
1_HMS_corey_and_noah.jpg

The selections of ukes at HMS is unbelievable. They're very relaxed and have no issues with you trying out anything. Doesn't matter if it's a $50 Makala, or an "umpty-ump thousand dollar" custom jobs.
2_hms1.jpg

Still at HMS. I got a real kick out of playing this little thing. Made me feel like a giant just holding it.
4_hms_sopranissimo.jpg

This is a pic of the Ukulele PuaPua store in the Sheraton Waikiki. I'ts mush smaller than HMS (more of a boutique store), but the selection of unusual and local made ukes is amazing. If you're on Oahu anywhere close to Waikiki...I recommend a drop in.
4_ukulele_pua_pua.jpg

This made me laugh. We were at K-Mart picking up sunscreen when I ran across these.
So question...does a K-Mart uke count as a "K brand". :cool:
9_kmart_ukes.jpg

Fun trip! Did you bring home any ukes? Answer: YES! Now see that in your other post. Congratulations!

That really sounds like a fun trip. Between the pictures in this thread and in your other thread, I would think you might be having a terrible case of UAS. Unless you are wealthy, it will be like poison ivy - an itch you just can't scratch. But then, I suppose that builds character or shrinks the bank balance or both. :)

Tony

Aloha! Thanks for the pix. :cool: I was there back in late February and early March and bought a Kamaka at Ukulele Supply and some books at PuaPua. Had a wonderful time.

It's funny you mention about cheap K-mart ukes... I also picked up this souvenir wall-hanger uke at Duke's. It's unplayable but for $20, it looks very nice on my apartment's wall and I like how it shows me the Hawaiian islands every time I pass by to my kitchen. :cool:

20dollarUKE.jpg

Aloaha!

Petey

Aloha! Thanks for the pix. :cool: I was there back in late February and early March and bought a Kamaka at Ukulele Supply and some books at PuaPua. Had a wonderful time.

It's funny you mention about cheap K-mart ukes... I also picked up this souvenir wall-hanger uke at Duke's. It's unplayable but for $20, it looks very nice on my apartment's wall and I like how it shows me the Hawaiian islands every time I pass by to my kitchen. :cool:

View attachment 79684

Aloaha!

Petey

I agree...great for decor. I love the islands on the body.

Thanks for sharing the tour with us, these photos are terrific.

Top Bottom