PDA

View Full Version : Oahu Trip / Uke adventure

tw62862
05-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Hi Everyone:

I just got back from a 10 day trip to Oahu. In addition to hiking, snorkeling, and general Hawaiian vacation activities...I got in some "uke adventures". I took a tour of the Ko'olau/Pono uke factory (see separate post for pics)

I also made it a point to visit HMS and Ukulele PuaPua. Here are some pics for anyone interested.

This is Corey and Noah at Hawaiian Music Supply in Haleiwa. I also met Aaron, but unfortunately I didn't take pictures that day. They're all very cool and friendly.

The selections of ukes at HMS is unbelievable. They're very relaxed and have no issues with you trying out anything. Doesn't matter if it's a $50 Makala, or an "umpty-ump thousand dollar" custom jobs.

Still at HMS. I got a real kick out of playing this little thing. Made me feel like a giant just holding it.

This is a pic of the Ukulele PuaPua store in the Sheraton Waikiki. I'ts mush smaller than HMS (more of a boutique store), but the selection of unusual and local made ukes is amazing. If you're on Oahu anywhere close to Waikiki...I recommend a drop in.

This made me laugh. We were at K-Mart picking up sunscreen when I ran across these.
So question...does a K-Mart uke count as a "K brand". :cool:

Ukulele Eddie
05-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Fun trip! Did you bring home any ukes? Answer: YES! Now see that in your other post. Congratulations!

tbeltrans
05-16-2015, 01:16 PM
That really sounds like a fun trip. Between the pictures in this thread and in your other thread, I would think you might be having a terrible case of UAS. Unless you are wealthy, it will be like poison ivy - an itch you just can't scratch. But then, I suppose that builds character or shrinks the bank balance or both. :)

Tony

PeteyHoudini
05-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Aloha! Thanks for the pix. 8-) I was there back in late February and early March and bought a Kamaka at Ukulele Supply and some books at PuaPua. Had a wonderful time.

It's funny you mention about cheap K-mart ukes... I also picked up this souvenir wall-hanger uke at Duke's. It's unplayable but for $20, it looks very nice on my apartment's wall and I like how it shows me the Hawaiian islands every time I pass by to my kitchen. 8-)

Aloaha!

Petey

wayfarer75
05-16-2015, 01:56 PM
This made me laugh. We were at K-Mart picking up sunscreen when I ran across these.
So question...does a K-Mart uke count as a "K brand". :cool:

Sure! ;)

Very jealous of your trip to Oahu. Someday I'll get to go back to Hawaii.

Icelander53
05-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Awesome. Awesome. Awesome! I just love HMS and it's family. Thanks for sharing your fun.

tw62862
05-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Aloha! Thanks for the pix. 8-) I was there back in late February and early March and bought a Kamaka at Ukulele Supply and some books at PuaPua. Had a wonderful time.

It's funny you mention about cheap K-mart ukes... I also picked up this souvenir wall-hanger uke at Duke's. It's unplayable but for $20, it looks very nice on my apartment's wall and I like how it shows me the Hawaiian islands every time I pass by to my kitchen. 8-)

Aloaha!

Petey

I agree...great for decor. I love the islands on the body.

coolkayaker1
05-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks for sharing the tour with us, these photos are terrific.