Uke jam.

Rllink

Reaction score
We have a local coffee shop where my wife and I go several times a week, and I asked them if I could have a uke jam there. They said, sure. So I set it up for tonight and passed out fliers all around town.

So I went there, and waited, but no other ukulele players showed up. But a half dozen or so people came there to listen. I didn't know what to do, but I had brought some copies of some songs for any uke players who might be there, and I passed them out, telling everyone that it wasn't going to be a solo performance. Then I got out my uke and started playing. Most everyone there joined in singing with me. We had a ball. Several people asked me when I was going to do it again. Some college kid took a video and said that he was going to bring some friends next time, and asked me if he could keep the music that I passed out. All in all, it was successful. I'm already planning the next one.

That is wonderful. Might be worthwhile asking the coffee shop owners to contribute enough for a couple of group ukes and including some two chord songs.

We have a local coffee shop where my wife and I go several times a week, and I asked them if I could have a uke jam there. They said, sure. So I set it up for tonight and passed out fliers all around town.

So I went there, and waited, but no other ukulele players showed up. But a half dozen or so people came there to listen. I didn't know what to do, but I had brought some copies of some songs for any uke players who might be there, and I passed them out, telling everyone that it wasn't going to be a solo performance. Then I got out my uke and started playing. Most everyone there joined in singing with me. We had a ball. Several people asked me when I was going to do it again. Some college kid took a video and said that he was going to bring some friends next time, and asked me if he could keep the music that I passed out. All in all, it was successful. I'm already planning the next one.

What a great story. It's always stressful on some level trying to organize something dear to yourself. It never turns out like you expect but sometimes that's good.

Wonderful story. Hope you can get some video of the next one mate. Congratulations on having the gumption and motivation to do it and here's to many more.

That sounds great, despite having an unexpected result...

Kudos to you for seeing it through and getting the audience involved. :rock:

Especially since I recall you mentioning only recently starting singing lessons.:bowdown:

Remember: "There is no courage without fear".

I plan to get out and play at least a few times this summer, which is something I have not done for over 15 yrs. :music:

Nice one mate and good for you . Hope it grows and flows .

Rolli, I am very proud of you as is everyone else here. Great job in doing what needed to be done at the time it needed doing. I can feel this thing growing, get ready for some major fun.

Where is the LIKE button when you need one :shaka:

Good on you!

Rather than be discouraged by the no show of ukes, you celebrated the interest of the non ukers and created a fun evening for many!

Wonderful!!! Keep doing it and you will have people getting ukuleles and joining you. Sounds like a great time!!!

As soon as we showed up, an older couple, older being our age, and who we recognized as regulars, came over and sat down next to us. They said that they were there to support live entertainment at the coffee shop. So I tried to explain what a jam was, but they just said that it sounded fun. Then the barista came over to see if we needed anything, and he told me that this college aged kid there had come to listen to the ukulele music, and that a couple sitting a ways away had been asking about it as well. And there were other people sitting around, I don't know if they were there because of the music, but they seemed interested in what was going on. So after a while my wife told me that I better do something, because everyone was waiting for me to do something. At that point I was trapped. I mean, what can I do? It was more an act of desperation. So I told my wife to find me something to drink, stronger than a cappuccino, decided to turn it in to a hootenanny, chugged half a Samuel Adams, and went for it. After the first song, the whole thing took on a life of its own, and I just went along for the ride. We went for about an hour, then a few people started leaving. So we called it quits. Several people asked when we were going to do it again.

Last edited:
Well done, Rollie, and congratulations! You've been an innovator ever since I joined this forum. Good luck on your future endeavors. :eek:ld:

As soon as we showed up, an older couple, older being our age, and who we recognized as regulars, came over and sat down next to us. They said that they were there to support live entertainment at the coffee shop. So I tried to explain what a jam was, but they just said that it sounded fun. Then the barista came over to see if we needed anything, and he told me that this college aged kid there had come to listen to the ukulele music, and that a couple sitting a ways away had been asking about it as well. And there were other people sitting around, I don't know if they were there because of the music, but they seemed interested in what was going on. So after a while my wife told me that I better do something, because everyone was waiting for me to do something. At that point I was trapped. I mean, what can I do? It was more an act of desperation. So I told my wife to find me something to drink, stronger than a cappuccino, decided to turn it in to a hootenanny, chugged half a Samuel Adams, and went for it. After the first song, the whole thing took on a life of its own, and I just went along for the ride. We went for about an hour, then a few people started leaving. So we called it quits. Several people asked when we were going to do it again.

This is one of my favorite UU stories ever. You are the best!

Awesome! Get a few inexpensive ukes and make them available as loaners while there.

Awesome! Get a few inexpensive ukes and make them available as loaners while there.

I was thinking the very samemthing Eddie.

Rolli this is your chance to experience a little UAS totally guilt free. Next event advertise it as a "Come learn to play ukulele sing along". Buy a few dolphins to loan to people which they can buy off of you at your cost after the session is over. As we know people will get hooked and gladly pay you the $40.00 or so to keep the instrument. Cause they will need it for the next jam.:)Wish I lived closer because I would love to get involved.

Here is a thought.......if you buy some ukes I will kick in $150.00, that should get you 3 dolphins. Just let me know.

I was thinking the very samemthing Eddie.

Rolli this is your chance to experience a little UAS totally guilt free. Next event advertise it as a "Come learn to play ukulele sing along". Buy a few dolphins to loan to people which they can buy off of you at your cost after the session is over. As we know people will get hooked and gladly pay you the $40.00 or so to keep the instrument. Cause they will need it for the next jam.:)Wish I lived closer because I would love to get involved.

Here is a thought.......if you buy some ukes I will kick in $150.00, that should get you 3 dolphins. Just let me know.
Thanks for the generous offer Dave, but I think that I'm going to do it again, just the same except put a little more effort getting the word out, and let it find its own way. That is more my style.

Thanks for the generous offer Dave, but I think that I'm going to do it again, just the same except put a little more effort getting the word out, and let it find its own way. That is more my style.

Sounds good Rolli. Best of luck, I am sure it will work out very well. The offer is open ended if you ever decide you can use it.

You're right to do it in your own way but give it time and try it a few times. If the people that were there enjoyed themselves, they will tell others and word will get round and will bring others along. Chances are that sooner or later some of those will come with their ukuleles. Word of mouth is a very useful form of publicity but it needs time for the word to spread and you need to give it time to build up a critical mass when the event will start to become self sustaining.

When I start my uke group I only had about four or five came initially but after a time others came along and numbers built up to the point where we have a nice sized group. There are about 20 on the books and I get at least a dozen most times.

Top Bottom