Kanilea K1 Tenor Gloss with Five O pickup

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SOLD< SOLD SOLD

Hi all,
I have to let go of this brand new uke. I am just not digging the neck on this one. I should have researched this purchase a little better. But my misfortune is someone's gain. Again the uke is brand new, I just received it last week from HMS. I had them install the 5-O pickup and upgraded to an Oahu hard case. I am hoping to get $850.. Shipped to Conus. Buyer pays PayPal fees if that is the payment method.
IMG_0007.jpgIMG_0006.jpgIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
This Looks like a great deal for someone looking for a Koa tenor from Hawaii in a hard case with a high end pickup.

Good luck with the sale. I have one already and understand what you state about the neck.

I have never played a Kanilea do you mind me asking what is it exactly about the neck that you're not digging? too thin to thick too wide?
Thanks.

Have you emailed Andrew about your uke? I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out in some way!

Couldn't you just return t to HMS within 7 days?

In truth it has been 12 days. I don't hold HMS responsible, in fact they gave me great service. I should have researched the instrument a little bit more. Sometimes, I am guilty of the dreaded impulse buy. You know, adult beverages, surfing the net.

I'm curious about your comments on the neck also. I also do not have access to play a Kanilea so would like to hear comments. Seems like a great deal you are offering!
Thanks

The width at the nut on Kanile'a ukes is 1 1/2" as compared to the typical 1 3/8". I love the Kanile'a neck!

This is a great deal on a great looking uke!

Last edited:
Great looking Kanile'a! I have a super concert, and I like the slightly wider neck. It can be helpful if you get crowded fingers. Wonderful gloss finish on these ukes too. I am a big fan of the gloss finish, since it really enhances beautiful wood grain. Great deal if you want one with the pick-up. I have heard good things about the Five-O, so I think it was a good choice. It doesn't hurt to give HMS a call. If they say no, then you are where you are now. If they say yes, then your trouble is reduced by quite a bit.

–Lori

I hope this is true (the neck width)—I know Islanders have a 1.5" neck, but I didn't know that about Kanile'as, and I just ordered one like OP's (or I'd have pounced on OP's offer). I really like that extra width at the nut: it was a deciding factor for me getting a Kamoa and two Lanikai specials.

One issue I have with the Pono tenor I just got is that, although it has normal string spacing at the nut, it fans out excessively toward the bridge, making chords difficult to fret on the upper neck, and getting too wide even for reliable fingerpicking. There is a recent thread on this tendency for makers to increasingly fan in this manner, but I hadn't noticed such a case on any of my ukes previously—including the Kamoa and Lanikais.

Funny. I like the fanning out as I have larger hands and it helps me with the picking.

I guess it really comes down to personal preference.

I think the Kanile'a necks are thinner as well and from my experience playing one a year ago they have nice action.

Top Bottom