My Upcoming Oahu Ukulele Therapy Trip

fretie

Reaction score
I'm booked for some ukulele therapy in Hawaii in July... wooohooo!

I've had some disappointments this year and was trying to come up with some creative ways to restore my normally positive outlook on life. Of course, the ukulele came to mind as it is such a joyful and soothing instrument and then my thoughts went to Hawaii, a place that always lifts my spirits.

My savings are meagre but I'd rather spend them on a trip, a ukulele themed trip, ideally, than to play a psychologist's bill.

So, here's my plan, go to Hana Lima 'Ia to build a uke! Yes, I think this would be an awesome way to take my mind off my worries and, with any luck, enjoy the satisfaction on learning new skills and crafting my own instrument.

I've heard a lot of good things about Hana Lima...and, yes, a few not as good, but overall it seemed like a great choice especially given that the annual two week uke building course falls at the same time as the annual Oahu ukulele festival - bonus!

I also booked a couple extra days prior to the uke building course in order to do factory tours of Koaloha and Kamaka, two places I'd wanted to visit for a long time now.

This morning I took the leap: booked flights, reserved a cheap room at a Waikiki hostel and put a deposit on the uke building course. Phew! There, the plan has been made! I'm feeling a little more light hearted already!

Good for you. I'm sure that you will have a great time. My wife and I just booked our Hawaii trip in October and I'm already counting the days. It is a great place to unwind and get a better outlook on life.

That sounds awesome. I love the idea of ukulele therapy. I hope your disappointments turn into happiness.

Great plan! I can totally understand.

Petey

I've had some disappointments this year and was trying to come up with some creative ways to restore my normally positive outlook on life. Of course, the ukulele came to mind as it is such a joyful and soothing instrument and then my thoughts went to Hawaii, a place that always lifts my spirits.

My savings are meagre but I'd rather spend them on a trip, a ukulele themed trip, ideally, than to play a psychologist's bill.

So, here's my plan, go to Hana Lima 'Ia to build a uke! Yes, I think this would be an awesome way to take my mind off my worries and, with any luck, enjoy the satisfaction on learning new skills and crafting my own instrument.

I've heard a lot of good things about Hana Lima...and, yes, a few not as good, but overall it seemed like a great choice especially given that the annual two week uke building course falls at the same time as the annual Oahu ukulele festival - bonus!

I also booked a couple extra days prior to the uke building course in order to do factory tours of Koaloha and Kamaka, two places I'd wanted to visit for a long time now.

This morning I took the leap: booked flights, reserved a cheap room at a Waikiki hostel and put a deposit on the uke building course. Phew! There, the plan has been made! I'm feeling a little more light hearted already!

Awesome. I like your style.

wOOT! Great plan! Unwind, play and enjoy music. Have a kick a$$ time!

What a truly wonderful thing to do for yourself. I hope it is a magical trip.

Awesome plan and ditto to Wayfarer 75, I love the idea of ukelele therapy.
You will have a fantastic time, and ya gotta show yer build!

Awww....thank you all so much for your enthusiatic understanding .... the warmth of friends, especially during difficult times, is a healing salve.

I think this is a great idea and hope you really enjoy the entire trip! Building your own ukulele seems like a very therapeutic thing to do even by itself.

Tony

I went to the Oahu Uke Fest last year, and it was the ukulele day of my dreams. See you there this year! (BTW, you might still be able to sign up to be part of one of the "Strummers" groups to perform there. PM me and I can give you details.)

Aloha Fretie,
Ah this is your r and r vacation, I hope you get to paddle or kayak here, also there are some nice catamaran
Sails too. Royal hawaiian shopping center in waikiki has uke classes 3 times a week for fun in the Morning.
So much to see and do...

I went to the Oahu Uke Fest last year, and it was the ukulele day of my dreams. See you there this year! (BTW, you might still be able to sign up to be part of one of the "Strummers" groups to perform there. PM me and I can give you details.)

Oh, that'd be fun, greenie, thanks... I've pm'd you about this!

let me second what Greenie said about joining us at the Ukulele Festival, July 19th, Kapiolani Park.
I hope you will be there and can make it. HMS will have an extra Kanikapila Tent next to their
Vendor Tent. Last Festival it was the place to be! many notables (Uncle Kimo Hussey, Chuck Moore
(Moore Bettah), Cali Rose and her husband, several uke performers (International), etc.

STRUM (Seattle's Totally Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) is renting a house in Ewa Beach so we (about 12
of us) will be able to enjoy and participate in the Ukulele Festival Hawaii with Greenie and about
200 of our 'closest' friends (Roy Sakuma's Strummers) so we can earn our Participant's Gold Medallion! :)

Anyway, Lord willing, I'll be in HNL from Tues July 7th thru Thurs Aug 13th (yeah, yeah, I know... but it's
simply going home for the Summer, OK? :) ). [I'm public school office staff but I have about the same
vacation time as teachers :) ] So, that said, please feel free to text me (206-234-6972) when you get
there. I like to help out at the Royal Hawaiian Center with the FREE ukulele lessons. They have changed
their set up so I'll need to check things out with the Instructors (Aunty Wainani and Aunty Puakeala) to
see if I can still attend and assist them :)

Have a great time and come away with your own uniqe, one-of-a-kind, custom-made uke!

keep uke'in',

PS, Greenie, see you there Brother!

Wow, Uncle Rod, thanks for all the info and for the invite to hang with your gang a bit! I'd love to be in the company of a posse of fine ukulule players while I'm taking a break from toiling over building my first uke!

Top Bottom