You are not going to believe this...

tbeltrans

Reaction score
Today, my wife and I went over to Willie's to check out the 1925 Martin 2K ukulele. I figured that if it is as wonderful as I have read about those old 1920s ukuleles supposedly can be, I might be able to make a deal, or worst case - at least I got to try one of the "legends". Well, I played it and compared to a new Martin 2K they had there, along with a Kamaka HF-1L (long neck soprano) and a few other soprano ukuleles, as well as a Blackbird (not sure what it was, but bigger than a soprano).

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING came close to the sound of that old Martin. I have not heard a soprano sound like this instrument. It has that higher pitch typical of sopranos, but none of the "plinkiness". It was alive and has a sort of richness around each note (fullness, growl, something anyway) that none of the others had. All of the others sounded very good. In fact, there was a "thickness" to the Blackbird sound that I found appealing. But the Martin is the one would haunt me.

I read in several sites that talk about the old Martins, that not all of them sound alive. You have to find those. This is one. I would rather have this than the 3K or 5K not only because of the price points, but because I really don't want all that "bling". I prefer a plainer look - that understated elegance that my other ukuleles have. I do like gorgeous wood though, and this one is really about as "mint" and gorgeous as an old instrument can be. It is all original (no refinish, replaced parts, etc.) and has the original case in decent condition.

Also, I mentioned in another thread how out of tune the Kamaka I had played at Gitar Center was, and wondered if that is a problem common to soprano ukuleles with their short scale. I am happy to report that NONE of the ukuleles at Willie's showed any hint of that problem, soprano or otherwise. I think Janeray1940 was right that I had just found a not-so-good example that day.

With that Martin wide fretboard and wide string spacing, even with only 12 frets to the body, it works well for fingerpicking. I do not intend to alter this instrument in any way (i.e. adding a pickup or strap buttons because I don't want to risk losing that sound). If I am going to have a soprano, this must be it.

The only issue I have is that I have to learn how to hold this instrument without benefit of a strap. I will find some Youtube videos that show how to hold it in the bend of my arm as I play.

So, my wife said we have already paid all the insurance for her trip to the Mayo Clinic and that we had more than enough to justify the Martin, and that I should just buy it...

So, here are the requisite pics:

Tony

Awesome! Hope you enjoy it for many many years!

Today, my wife and I went over to Willie's to check out the 1925 Martin 2K ukulele. I figured that if it is as wonderful as I have read about those old 1920s ukuleles supposedly can be, I might be able to make a deal, or worst case - at least I got to try one of the "legends". Well, I played it and compared to a new Martin 2K they had there, along with a Kamaka HF-1L (long neck soprano) and a few other soprano ukuleles, as well as a Blackbird (not sure what it was, but bigger than a soprano).

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING came close to the sound of that old Martin.
Tony

Hmm,

My wife and I were also at Willie's today and she thinks that she played that Martin also (or at least some Martin soprano), and thought it was something special. We weren't looking to buy anything today, just looking - so congratulations. We were there about 1 PM, what time did you arrive?

Last edited:
Glad to hear that such a nice uke found a nice home.

I gotta get up to Willie's some day

Enjoy

Hmm,

My wife and I were also at Willie's today and she thinks that she played that Martin also (or at least some Martin soprano), and thought it was something special. We weren't looking to buy anything today, just looking - so congratulations. We were there about 1 PM, what time did you arrive?

We were there around 3:00 - 3:30. Dave Roos (of The Podium fame) was also there visiting but Frank is out of town right now, so it was great to visit with Dave too. Yes, this particular Martin is something special. It was not hanging on the wall, but instead was in the glass case near the wall in the acoustic room (where Molly usually is). I can tell you that if I had not purchased that particular ukulele, it would have been the sound that I would remember far into the future and regretted missing out on. I didn't go in with the idea of buying either, but I really wanted to know what a vintage Martin was. From what I have read, that mid-20s era was something special. I have gone to Willie's just to play very special vintage Martin guitars. I tell them up front that I can't afford $30,000 or whatever, but they have let me play the instruments anyway. Today, I was on the fence. If the sound and price were right, I knew I would leave with it, so I just asked to look at it. I talked to my wife about it before we left, so we would have a clear understanding of whether I could buy it and what price range seemed reasonable. It would never cross my mind to simply come home with something like that and hope she didn't notice. :)

Apparently, Nate had this ukulele in his own collection at home for some time before putting it up for sale. Nate seems to be a real ukulele aficionado. He plays superbly and has a really good sense of what makes for a great ukulele. I purchased all three of mine from Willie's and all are very impressive. He was the person who got me interested because he walks around the store playing all sorts of chord melody ukulele tunes. I had never heard that until he did it.

My contract work has lasted longer than I intended and will continue for a couple more months, so buying this ukulele was well within budget. I did not realize we had covered all my wife's medical bills already or I would not have gotten it today. I have to admit that i was the most expensive ukulele they had there at the moment. A new Martin 2K is about half the price of this one, but the sound - it was worth it.

Tony

Nice! So are the 2Ks 12 frets to the body with a few more, or 12 frets total? I'm with you on the less-blingy thing - I definitely prefer this look to the more ornate 3K and 3M.

The two that I saw today (the new one and the vintage one) were both 12 frets at the body, and no more. The frets are really thin, like wire on the vintage model, but I am not sure about the new one. I think they called them "bar frets" or something like that. The neck feels wider than my Ohta-San and Ko'olau, so it is nice for fingerstyle. The vintage 2K and the new one seemed different in certain ways. I would have to go back and compare because I was so taken with the vintage one that I really didn't examine the new one too closely, but I know they seemed different. They sounded different too. Maybe that is just the age, I don't know, but the vintage one seems "rounder" somehow in the mid-range.

I have read in several places to be really choosy about buying vintage Martins because they don't all automatically sound "great". You probably wouldn't want to buy one just because it is vintage. When you hear the sound, you will know and it will haunt you. It may be better to not look unless you are willing to part with cash if you find the right one. All the stuff I have read about that vintage sound is true (though being vintage is no guarantee...). I really thought there is a bit of hype in all that, but now I am convinced.

Tony

Last edited:
Glad to hear that such a nice uke found a nice home.

I gotta get up to Willie's some day

Enjoy

Thanks. If you do, make sure Nate is there. He can really play and is quite the inspiration. He wasn't there today, but I have watched him play enough times to know that the ukulele is a very capable instrument in the right hands.

Tony

Cliff, Wayfarer75, Edgeguy, Mitch, and Kathryn:

Thanks so much! Yes, my wife is something special. We have never had problems about wanting something and the other person arguing over it. But then, we don't do this every week either. :) We are supportive of each other and our respective interests. I would not be surprised if she decides to try the ukulele some day.

Tony

Congrats, Tony! The top grains are gorgeous.

Awesome find, congrats. I have an "alive" pre-war mahogany soprano....know what you mean.

I have read in several places to be really choosy about buying vintage Martins because they don't all automatically sound "great". You probably wouldn't want to buy one just because it is vintage. When you hear the sound, you will know and it will haunt you.

I tend to find this is true with all ukuleles, when you have the opportunity to choose from several that is. Same goes for Kamakas, as we discussed before - while I doubt that any would sound bad, really, unless they were horribly abused in some way, I think you just "know" it when the sound is right.

I probably would never buy any uke sight unseen, but especially so with vintage. I did that very early on in my ukulele journey and while there was nothing wrong per se with the vintage uke I bought, its idiosyncracies drove me nuts (tuners wouldn't stay, had intonation issues up the neck - things a more experienced player could compensate for but I was still a very beginning beginner). That got me over the vintage bug right away, and I've been all about new ukes ever since.

But I do love the vintage Martin sound. I'm sure someday the right one will find me... not that I'm looking :)

Congratulations on buying an instrument that would have haunted you otherwise. That uke is in superb condition for being 90 years old! You'll have to post a sound sample. :)

What a looker! And to have the special sound, too. Wow. Nice find. Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? Always looking for data points.

Enjoy!
P.S. I hope whatever reason your wife is going to the Mayo Clinic is not too serious.

Congratulations, nice uke... you say that is not bling....:)
I have a 2m and 5k, the 5k is far better tone sorry

Last edited:
What a lovely ukulele. Those wood grains are heavenly.

Top Bottom