PDA

View Full Version : You are not going to believe this...

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Today, my wife and I went over to Willie's to check out the 1925 Martin 2K ukulele. I figured that if it is as wonderful as I have read about those old 1920s ukuleles supposedly can be, I might be able to make a deal, or worst case - at least I got to try one of the "legends". Well, I played it and compared to a new Martin 2K they had there, along with a Kamaka HF-1L (long neck soprano) and a few other soprano ukuleles, as well as a Blackbird (not sure what it was, but bigger than a soprano).

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING came close to the sound of that old Martin. I have not heard a soprano sound like this instrument. It has that higher pitch typical of sopranos, but none of the "plinkiness". It was alive and has a sort of richness around each note (fullness, growl, something anyway) that none of the others had. All of the others sounded very good. In fact, there was a "thickness" to the Blackbird sound that I found appealing. But the Martin is the one would haunt me.

I read in several sites that talk about the old Martins, that not all of them sound alive. You have to find those. This is one. I would rather have this than the 3K or 5K not only because of the price points, but because I really don't want all that "bling". I prefer a plainer look - that understated elegance that my other ukuleles have. I do like gorgeous wood though, and this one is really about as "mint" and gorgeous as an old instrument can be. It is all original (no refinish, replaced parts, etc.) and has the original case in decent condition.

Also, I mentioned in another thread how out of tune the Kamaka I had played at Gitar Center was, and wondered if that is a problem common to soprano ukuleles with their short scale. I am happy to report that NONE of the ukuleles at Willie's showed any hint of that problem, soprano or otherwise. I think Janeray1940 was right that I had just found a not-so-good example that day.

With that Martin wide fretboard and wide string spacing, even with only 12 frets to the body, it works well for fingerpicking. I do not intend to alter this instrument in any way (i.e. adding a pickup or strap buttons because I don't want to risk losing that sound). If I am going to have a soprano, this must be it.

The only issue I have is that I have to learn how to hold this instrument without benefit of a strap. I will find some Youtube videos that show how to hold it in the bend of my arm as I play.

So, my wife said we have already paid all the insurance for her trip to the Mayo Clinic and that we had more than enough to justify the Martin, and that I should just buy it...

So, here are the requisite pics:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/tbeltrans/DSCN0036_zpsu71uugfh.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/tbeltrans/media/DSCN0036_zpsu71uugfh.jpg.html)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/tbeltrans/DSCN0033_zpshlohlv36.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/tbeltrans/media/DSCN0033_zpshlohlv36.jpg.html)

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/tbeltrans/DSCN0034_zpsmzqxavj0.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/tbeltrans/media/DSCN0034_zpsmzqxavj0.jpg.html)

Tony

Osprey
05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
What a super find. It is wonderful that it plays well. Super wife as well.
Cliff

wayfarer75
05-17-2015, 12:47 PM
Awesome! Hope you enjoy it for many many years!

Edgeguy
05-17-2015, 01:01 PM
That is one beautiful vintage ukulele!

mkatz
05-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Best of luck, that is a gorgeous uke!

Mitch

kvehe
05-17-2015, 01:39 PM
How wonderful!

Doug W
05-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Today, my wife and I went over to Willie's to check out the 1925 Martin 2K ukulele. I figured that if it is as wonderful as I have read about those old 1920s ukuleles supposedly can be, I might be able to make a deal, or worst case - at least I got to try one of the "legends". Well, I played it and compared to a new Martin 2K they had there, along with a Kamaka HF-1L (long neck soprano) and a few other soprano ukuleles, as well as a Blackbird (not sure what it was, but bigger than a soprano).

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING came close to the sound of that old Martin.
Tony

Hmm,

My wife and I were also at Willie's today and she thinks that she played that Martin also (or at least some Martin soprano), and thought it was something special. We weren't looking to buy anything today, just looking - so congratulations. We were there about 1 PM, what time did you arrive?

janeray1940
05-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Nice! So are the 2Ks 12 frets to the body with a few more, or 12 frets total? I'm with you on the less-blingy thing - I definitely prefer this look to the more ornate 3K and 3M.

vanflynn
05-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Glad to hear that such a nice uke found a nice home.

I gotta get up to Willie's some day

Enjoy

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Hmm,

My wife and I were also at Willie's today and she thinks that she played that Martin also (or at least some Martin soprano), and thought it was something special. We weren't looking to buy anything today, just looking - so congratulations. We were there about 1 PM, what time did you arrive?

We were there around 3:00 - 3:30. Dave Roos (of The Podium fame) was also there visiting but Frank is out of town right now, so it was great to visit with Dave too. Yes, this particular Martin is something special. It was not hanging on the wall, but instead was in the glass case near the wall in the acoustic room (where Molly usually is). I can tell you that if I had not purchased that particular ukulele, it would have been the sound that I would remember far into the future and regretted missing out on. I didn't go in with the idea of buying either, but I really wanted to know what a vintage Martin was. From what I have read, that mid-20s era was something special. I have gone to Willie's just to play very special vintage Martin guitars. I tell them up front that I can't afford $30,000 or whatever, but they have let me play the instruments anyway. Today, I was on the fence. If the sound and price were right, I knew I would leave with it, so I just asked to look at it. I talked to my wife about it before we left, so we would have a clear understanding of whether I could buy it and what price range seemed reasonable. It would never cross my mind to simply come home with something like that and hope she didn't notice. :)

Apparently, Nate had this ukulele in his own collection at home for some time before putting it up for sale. Nate seems to be a real ukulele aficionado. He plays superbly and has a really good sense of what makes for a great ukulele. I purchased all three of mine from Willie's and all are very impressive. He was the person who got me interested because he walks around the store playing all sorts of chord melody ukulele tunes. I had never heard that until he did it.

My contract work has lasted longer than I intended and will continue for a couple more months, so buying this ukulele was well within budget. I did not realize we had covered all my wife's medical bills already or I would not have gotten it today. I have to admit that i was the most expensive ukulele they had there at the moment. A new Martin 2K is about half the price of this one, but the sound - it was worth it.

Tony

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Nice! So are the 2Ks 12 frets to the body with a few more, or 12 frets total? I'm with you on the less-blingy thing - I definitely prefer this look to the more ornate 3K and 3M.

The two that I saw today (the new one and the vintage one) were both 12 frets at the body, and no more. The frets are really thin, like wire on the vintage model, but I am not sure about the new one. I think they called them "bar frets" or something like that. The neck feels wider than my Ohta-San and Ko'olau, so it is nice for fingerstyle. The vintage 2K and the new one seemed different in certain ways. I would have to go back and compare because I was so taken with the vintage one that I really didn't examine the new one too closely, but I know they seemed different. They sounded different too. Maybe that is just the age, I don't know, but the vintage one seems "rounder" somehow in the mid-range.

I have read in several places to be really choosy about buying vintage Martins because they don't all automatically sound "great". You probably wouldn't want to buy one just because it is vintage. When you hear the sound, you will know and it will haunt you. It may be better to not look unless you are willing to part with cash if you find the right one. All the stuff I have read about that vintage sound is true (though being vintage is no guarantee...). I really thought there is a bit of hype in all that, but now I am convinced.

Tony

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Glad to hear that such a nice uke found a nice home.

I gotta get up to Willie's some day

Enjoy

Thanks. If you do, make sure Nate is there. He can really play and is quite the inspiration. He wasn't there today, but I have watched him play enough times to know that the ukulele is a very capable instrument in the right hands.

Tony

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Cliff, Wayfarer75, Edgeguy, Mitch, and Kathryn:

Thanks so much! Yes, my wife is something special. We have never had problems about wanting something and the other person arguing over it. But then, we don't do this every week either. :) We are supportive of each other and our respective interests. I would not be surprised if she decides to try the ukulele some day.

Tony

Andy Chen
05-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Congrats, Tony! The top grains are gorgeous.

PhilUSAFRet
05-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Awesome find, congrats. I have an "alive" pre-war mahogany soprano....know what you mean.

janeray1940
05-17-2015, 03:23 PM
I have read in several places to be really choosy about buying vintage Martins because they don't all automatically sound "great". You probably wouldn't want to buy one just because it is vintage. When you hear the sound, you will know and it will haunt you.

I tend to find this is true with all ukuleles, when you have the opportunity to choose from several that is. Same goes for Kamakas, as we discussed before - while I doubt that any would sound bad, really, unless they were horribly abused in some way, I think you just "know" it when the sound is right.

I probably would never buy any uke sight unseen, but especially so with vintage. I did that very early on in my ukulele journey and while there was nothing wrong per se with the vintage uke I bought, its idiosyncracies drove me nuts (tuners wouldn't stay, had intonation issues up the neck - things a more experienced player could compensate for but I was still a very beginning beginner). That got me over the vintage bug right away, and I've been all about new ukes ever since.

But I do love the vintage Martin sound. I'm sure someday the right one will find me... not that I'm looking :)

dalamaricus
05-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Congratulations on buying an instrument that would have haunted you otherwise. That uke is in superb condition for being 90 years old! You'll have to post a sound sample. :)

Ukulele Eddie
05-17-2015, 04:37 PM
What a looker! And to have the special sound, too. Wow. Nice find. Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? Always looking for data points.

Enjoy!
P.S. I hope whatever reason your wife is going to the Mayo Clinic is not too serious.

mm stan
05-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Congratulations, nice uke... you say that is not bling....:)
I have a 2m and 5k, the 5k is far better tone sorry

Ukejenny
05-17-2015, 04:53 PM
What a lovely ukulele. Those wood grains are heavenly.

Lori
05-17-2015, 05:40 PM

The only issue I have is that I have to learn how to hold this instrument without benefit of a strap. I will find some Youtube videos that show how to hold it in the bend of my arm as I play.

Tony

Beautiful grain on that Martin! Congrats on the great find!
As far as your strap issue, you might look at my Uke Leash half strap (no strap button needed, and no nasty hooks or glues). It is not quite as stable as a full strap, but it will steady the neck for you, and you can lighten up on the strumming arm vice grip, which has a tendency to mute the sound box a bit. I play mostly seated, and the Uke Leash allows me to support the neck with the strap, and play the uke with the soundbox resting on my leg, away from my body. That way the sound box can freely vibrate, and give off the best tone and volume.
–Lori

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 05:51 PM
Congrats, Tony! The top grains are gorgeous.

Thanks Andy!

Tony

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Awesome find, congrats. I have an "alive" pre-war mahogany soprano....know what you mean.

Thanks. Aren't the pre-war mahogany Martins more rare than the Koa? I am sure they sound really, really good too.

Tony

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 06:03 PM
I tend to find this is true with all ukuleles, when you have the opportunity to choose from several that is. Same goes for Kamakas, as we discussed before - while I doubt that any would sound bad, really, unless they were horribly abused in some way, I think you just "know" it when the sound is right.

I probably would never buy any uke sight unseen, but especially so with vintage. I did that very early on in my ukulele journey and while there was nothing wrong per se with the vintage uke I bought, its idiosyncracies drove me nuts (tuners wouldn't stay, had intonation issues up the neck - things a more experienced player could compensate for but I was still a very beginning beginner). That got me over the vintage bug right away, and I've been all about new ukes ever since.

But I do love the vintage Martin sound. I'm sure someday the right one will find me... not that I'm looking :)

If I were shopping in general for a ukulele today, I think the Blackbird would have a very interesting tone. I thought the majority of ukuleles I strummed today sounded quite good, but the vintage Martin and the Blackbird stood out for me. The Kamaka I played at Guitar Center (the one that had that out-of-tuneness) must have been just a bad one or maybe it needed some sort of adjustment to make it right. None of those at Willie's had that problem.

All that said, I agree that you "just know" when the sound is right (i.e. the sound you hear in your head that you are looking for in an instrument). Also, I would not want to buy a ukulele (or guitar) sight unseen. That is why I don't purchase instruments from online stores. You can have two of the same model of ukulele and they can sound different enough that one is what you wanted and the other isn't. I remember reading an article that George Gruhn wrote about vintage guitar. He said that customers will come in expecting to be blown away by old Martins or Gibsons because of all that they have read about them. Then, reality sets in and they begin to realize there are wide variances from instrument to instrument, and he just may not have in stock what the person is really looking for. Worse, the person has his or her heart set on a particular model and year that people have really talked up, only to find that it isn't anything like what the customer thought, once s/he sees one in real life.

There is a lot to be said for trying before you buy. :)

Until today, I had only read what others had to say about the Martin vintage sound. Now I know what they are talking about. However, if I bought one on Ebay, it could well have turned out to be one of the "dead" (or at least not so alive) ones, and I would be wondering what all the fuss is about. I don't mean to imply I would have been ripped off, since the instrument would probably be what was advertised, but "the sound" is "I know it when I hear it" rather than something guaranteed by the instrument's age and maker.

Tony

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Congratulations on buying an instrument that would have haunted you otherwise. That uke is in superb condition for being 90 years old! You'll have to post a sound sample. :)

Thanks Dalamarcius. One other good thing here is that at least I have something that is older than I am. :)

Tony

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 06:11 PM
What a looker! And to have the special sound, too. Wow. Nice find. Do you mind sharing what you paid for it? Always looking for data points.

Enjoy!
P.S. I hope whatever reason your wife is going to the Mayo Clinic is not too serious.

Eddie - Thanks for thoughts on my wife's condition. She is doing much better. The Mayo Clinic is definitely THE place!

I paid $2,700 for the ukulele. I looked around the net to get a feel for what these might cost. What I found was that $1,800 - $2,000 got you an instrument that either wasn't all original, had been refinished, was missing the original case, or something along those lines. This one is all original, in excellent condition, and has the original hard shell case. The outside of the case shows its age a bit, but still is complete and with the original handle, while the inside is in very good condition. The fact that I was able to buy it locally from a shop I trust (I bought my other ukuleles from them too), and was able to play it before I purchased it and with a return policy, I felt it was worth that. If the instrument did not have "the sound" I would question whether it was worth that much, but I am obviously not an expert.

Tony

tbeltrans
05-17-2015, 06:14 PM
UkeJenny and MM Stan,

Thanks! Yes, I suppose that curly Koa is a form of "bling" in itself. This wood you look into - it has depth, and in the sunlight, it really comes alive visually.

Tony

Andy Chen
05-17-2015, 06:22 PM
... I thought the majority of ukuleles I strummed today sounded quite good, but the vintage Martin and the Blackbird stood out for me...

Wow, that's quite a great endorsement for the Blackbird.

tbeltrans
05-18-2015, 01:17 AM
Wow, that's quite a great endorsement for the Blackbird.

Yes, I liked its sound, but did not really care for its shape. I know a lot of people like that "cigar box" sort of shape, but it just doesn't appeal to me. Their guitars have similar shape. I would find that that quite awkward to handle, though with a strap it should be just fine. It isn't a reflection on the instrument, but instead on my own preferences. I have had carbon fiber guitars since around 2007, so I don't have any problem with the material, just the Blackbird's shape.

Tony

tbeltrans
05-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Beautiful grain on that Martin! Congrats on the great find!
As far as your strap issue, you might look at my Uke Leash half strap (no strap button needed, and no nasty hooks or glues). It is not quite as stable as a full strap, but it will steady the neck for you, and you can lighten up on the strumming arm vice grip, which has a tendency to mute the sound box a bit. I play mostly seated, and the Uke Leash allows me to support the neck with the strap, and play the uke with the soundbox resting on my leg, away from my body. That way the sound box can freely vibrate, and give off the best tone and volume.
–Lori

Thanks Lori. I will have to look into the Uke Leash as a possibility. I have watched some videos, and I saw that John King had his own way of holding these smaller ukuleles while playing classical music. So it will be a matter of experimentation to find what works best for me.

Tony

VELARCA
05-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Congrats on your new ukulele, and your supporting wife doing better...

Ukulele Eddie
05-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Eddie - Thanks for thoughts on my wife's condition. She is doing much better. The Mayo Clinic is definitely THE place!

I paid $2,700 for the ukulele. I looked around the net to get a feel for what these might cost. What I found was that $1,800 - $2,000 got you an instrument that either wasn't all original, had been refinished, was missing the original case, or something along those lines. This one is all original, in excellent condition, and has the original hard shell case. The outside of the case shows its age a bit, but still is complete and with the original handle, while the inside is in very good condition. The fact that I was able to buy it locally from a shop I trust (I bought my other ukuleles from them too), and was able to play it before I purchased it and with a return policy, I felt it was worth that. If the instrument did not have "the sound" I would question whether it was worth that much, but I am obviously not an expert.

Tony

Most importantly, great news on your wife. Secondly, that is one beautiful uke and since it has "the sound" for you, it's a good buy for you. So, you have two reasons to celebrate! ;-)

pbagley
05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Congrats on the new-to-you Martin, Tony. Nate is a good guy in my limited experience. I've always enjoyed shopping at Willies.

The Kamaka at Guitar Center - was that the white label at the Roseville store? I noticed it had a bit of an intonation issue, playing a bit sharp at the 7th fret. My gold label had the same issue when I bought it, but new strings improved things a great deal.

- Paul

tbeltrans
05-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Congrats on your new ukulele, and your supporting wife doing better...

Thanks Velarca! My wife and I have been supportive of each other and our interests over the years, even to the point of helping each other get through college. It is a very good relationship, and has been for 32 years. :)

Tony

tbeltrans
05-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Congrats on the new-to-you Martin, Tony. Nate is a good guy in my limited experience. I've always enjoyed shopping at Willies.

The Kamaka at Guitar Center - was that the white label at the Roseville store? I noticed it had a bit of an intonation issue, playing a bit sharp at the 7th fret. My gold label had the same issue when I bought it, but new strings improved things a great deal.

- Paul

Paul:

Yes, it was the white label ukulele at the Roseville store. The intonation problem might well have been resolved with a change of strings, however, it seemed generally out of tune for me. It just had that "out-of-tuneness" that just grated on my ears. That could well have also been my technique not being right for a soprano ukulele - except that none of the sopranos (wasn't that a TV show??) I played at Willie's exhibited that problem. I really am much happier with the Martin, even though it cost quite a bit more. To me, there is a very large difference in overall quality and feel between my Kamaka Ohta-San and the white label model that was at Guitar Center, and it wasn't just the size. To me, it was as if they weren't even from the same company.

I do feel safe buying at Willie's. Nate is an excellent ukulele player and a uke fanatic, so he really pays attentio to that area of his shop. I don't expect the sales people at GC to know all about everything that comes into their store - there is just too much and too wide a variety of product. At Willie's, there is a lot of caretaking with regard to what comes in and the effort to know all about their products. It is a specialty shop and you do pay for that knowledge. I have nothing against GC and I do buy stuff there. However, when it comes to "vintage" ukuleles or acoustic guitars, to me Willie's is THE place in town to get really good product at a fair (not heavily discounted) price.

Tony

tbeltrans
05-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Most importantly, great news on your wife. Secondly, that is one beautiful uke and since it has "the sound" for you, it's a good buy for you. So, you have two reasons to celebrate! ;-)

Thanks Eddie. Yes, my Martin was expensive, but well worth it. It really is in astonishing condition even for something just a few years old. I doubt I will see many like this all original in this condition and with the original case in quite good (not as good as the ukulele) condition too. I think I want to get another case to carry the ukulele around in so I don't wreck this one.

Tony

NewKid
05-19-2015, 02:51 PM
Way worth it! Gorgeous wood with the Martin "mojo." I missed out on a Style 1 years ago when I didn't understand what I had in my hands. Three years later I finally found a Style 2 from the 1920s with the magic. It is worn and has a one inch repaired crack on the top, but that just adds to its character. I play tenors mainly but when I want to hear the vintage uke sound I have quite an instrument.

Congrats on your great find and best wishes for your wife's continued good health.

tbeltrans
05-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Way worth it! Gorgeous wood with the Martin "mojo." I missed out on a Style 1 years ago when I didn't understand what I had in my hands. Three years later I finally found a Style 2 from the 1920s with the magic. It is worn and has a one inch repaired crack on the top, but that just adds to its character. I play tenors mainly but when I want to hear the vintage uke sound I have quite an instrument.

Congrats on your great find and best wishes for your wife's continued good health.

Thanks NewKid! You definitely understand. There is definitely "the sound", and when you have it, you just know. I am finding that the soprano is the ultimate simplicity. I am learning to find tunes that fit on 12 frets. You can't play everything on 12 frets, but there is still plenty you can do. Congrats on finding one that you wee able to get. I have no idea how many of these 1920s Martins are floating around, but they seem to turn up, based on what I have been reading around the net.

Tony

NewKid
05-19-2015, 04:04 PM
I found my 1920's Martin at Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, CA. Like you said Tony, you have to play these vintage instruments in person to see if they really do sing to you.

tbeltrans
05-19-2015, 04:25 PM
I found my 1920's Martin at Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, CA. Like you said Tony, you have to play these vintage instruments in person to see if they really do sing to you.

Someday, I plan to get out there to Schoenberg Guitars. I hear it is a wonderful place, and I did not know they also handled vintage ukuleles. The Schoenberg Soloist is a very highly thought of guitar. From what I understand Eric Schoenberg has various people build them. I would guess it is a very interesting shop.

Tony

pbagley
05-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Paul:

Yes, it was the white label ukulele at the Roseville store. The intonation problem might well have been resolved with a change of strings, however, it seemed generally out of tune for me. It just had that "out-of-tuneness" that just grated on my ears. That could well have also been my technique not being right for a soprano ukulele - except that none of the sopranos (wasn't that a TV show??) I played at Willie's exhibited that problem. I really am much happier with the Martin, even though it cost quite a bit more. To me, there is a very large difference in overall quality and feel between my Kamaka Ohta-San and the white label model that was at Guitar Center, and it wasn't just the size. To me, it was as if they weren't even from the same company.

Their white label and my gold label are not all that different, at least not visually. I agree that there is a world of difference between my Kamaka and the one I played at Willies. That said, I like my Kamaka a lot, and I did not like the white label that was hanging at GC.

I do feel safe buying at Willie's. Nate is an excellent ukulele player and a uke fanatic, so he really pays attentio to that area of his shop. I don't expect the sales people at GC to know all about everything that comes into their store - there is just too much and too wide a variety of product. At Willie's, there is a lot of caretaking with regard to what comes in and the effort to know all about their products. It is a specialty shop and you do pay for that knowledge. I have nothing against GC and I do buy stuff there. However, when it comes to "vintage" ukuleles or acoustic guitars, to me Willie's is THE place in town to get really good product at a fair (not heavily discounted) price.

Tony

I've always liked shopping at Willies. They always have interesting things in stock.

- Paul

tbeltrans
05-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Their white label and my gold label are not all that different, at least not visually. I agree that there is a world of difference between my Kamaka and the one I played at Willies. That said, I like my Kamaka a lot, and I did not like the white label that was hanging at GC.

I've always liked shopping at Willies. They always have interesting things in stock.

- Paul

One person in another thread I started about that soprano at GC said that the 90s was not one of Kamaka's best periods. I do know that, for guitars, there are certain periods for various makers that are considered much better than others. pre-war Martins, especially the late 20s and early thirties seem to be sought after by Martin fans and collectors. I read on several sites that the "golden age" for Martin ukuleles was the mid-20s. So maybe Kamaka has their best times too. The trick is knowing when those times were, I guess. I am just not "in the know" on this stuff, so I look for several sources agreeing on the same bit of information.

Tony

Nickie
05-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Wow, congratulations! It doesn't look plain to me at all, and I'm sure it doesn't sound plain!

tbeltrans
05-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Wow, congratulations! It doesn't look plain to me at all, and I'm sure it doesn't sound plain!

Thanks Nickie! Yes, the wood is gorgeous, but there is no "bling", which is how I prefer it. As for the sound, it lives up to the hype surrounding these "vintage" Martins. :)

Tony

cpmusic
05-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Tony, I just saw your post at the AGF - congrats here, too!

tbeltrans
05-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Tony, I just saw your post at the AGF - congrats here, too!

Thanks Chris. Since there is much talk there about vintage Martin guitars, I figured some may be interested to know there is a vintage ukulele market too, and for the same reasons as the guitars - the sound.

Tony

emeraldroz
12-25-2018, 07:34 AM
What a beauty!

kohanmike
12-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Emeraldroz, how did you come across this old thread (2015), and then feel a need to post to it after so long?

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

tangimango
12-25-2018, 06:25 PM
;) lol merry christmas

Pueo
12-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Great find Tony, and mahalo for sharing your story, and hope your wife continues to do well.

I just wanted to share that I am not really a soprano guy BUT last year I was at an Ukulele Guild of Hawaii event and a gentleman known for his extensive knowledge of vintage ukuleles brought an old Martin so we could all try it out.
It was, in a word, amazing, and I had NO idea a little soprano could punch above its weight like that.
What a joy to play, and with great volume and tone.
So I fully understand how excited you must be!

I wish you may years of enjoyment!