PDA

View Full Version : Soundboard brace peak locations?

dmills
05-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Just about ready to start carving the sound board braces on my first tenor uke - typical 3 fan brace pattern. Are the brace peaks (high points) typically located at the top edge of the bridge or slightly further back at the saddle midpoint? Any tonal differences from moving the peak locations slightly forward or back relative to these locations?

Thanks

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
05-17-2015, 05:15 PM
i put them about half way between the lower transverse brace (just under the sound hole) and the bridge patch. This combates dipping of top in that area.

Allen
05-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Just about ready to start carving the sound board braces on my first tenor uke - typical 3 fan brace pattern. Are the brace peaks (high points) typically located at the top edge of the bridge or slightly further back at the saddle midpoint? Any tonal differences from moving the peak locations slightly forward or back relative to these locations?

Thanks

Of course there are going to be tonal and response differences, depending on so many factors that it will make your head spin.

I don't use a conventional bracing pattern, but you're not going to go wrong with putting the peak anywhere from under the saddle to a bit in front of the leading edge of the bridge.

dmills
05-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Thank you both for the advice. Just what I needed. Some beautiful work on both of your web sites by the way.