Vintage 1906s Favilla Soprano - For your viewing pleasure

Tsaw

Reaction score
Aloha!

Found this vintage soprano at a Guitar Center store here in New Jersey and wanted to share.

Nope, didn't buy it. It had strings that looked like fishing line from a child's tackle box, felt dirty, and had a big wad of lint/hair in side; as you can imagine it didn't sounds all that great. Wish I knew what it sounded like with some quality strings. At $249 it was a bit pricey to take it home and hope it sounded better strung with a set of Nylguts.

Sorry for the poor quality photos, I just snapped these two pics real quick with my iPhone.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 133
That seems mighty inexpensive for "vintage", and 1906 is about as vintage as it gets. How playable are these when they are cleaned up and is there a sound all their own that sets them apart?

Tony

OH SORRY, Correction, the uke is from 1960s, NOT 1906 :eek:

Ok, not so vintage then. :) Still, it could be a fine ukulele.

Tony

Last edited:
I sold one for $200 in better shape, but this is a retail music store so .... these are barky little fellas, sound similar to martin but not quite up to martin's build quality. Tell GS you're interested and you want to hear it with ne w strings. they may acommidate you

Last edited:
Favillas are like other old ukes, there's good ones and there's abused ones. I picked up a no-fretboard mahogany soprano Jake Wildwood dates to the 20s that plays like butter and is loud and proud. Instantly my favorite ukulele, plain jane for sure but has tone for days. A good old Favilla is a wonderful thing.

I have a vintage 1955 Favilla soprano that is near mint (no cracks, nothing), much better condition, and older, than the one at GC NJ, and if anyone is interested, I would sell it for $325, and that includes USPS Insured shipping with tracking in USA (not willing to ship outside USA, sorry). Why selling? I just bought a Martin that I needed for my collection from brother cigarfan...so, something has to go or I'll be eating bologna sandwiches for life.

coolkayaker1: I'd love to be able to buy it from you, but right now, a half dozen more pressing things to buy! I've been keeping an eye out for a Favilla for some time now, liking their history, mainly.

Next month, riding the I&M Canal Trail in entirely with a friend and his son. Have you kayaked the Little Vermilion? There's an amazing YouTube video of it---I've tromped along beside it east of La Salle for a span, and it's a very different river when it's pumped with spring rain: quite a drop from S. of Mendota to the Illinois River.

coolkayaker1: I'd love to be able to buy it from you, but right now, a half dozen more pressing things to buy! I've been keeping an eye out for a Favilla for some time now, liking their history, mainly.

Next month, riding the I&M Canal Trail in entirely with a friend and his son. Have you kayaked the Little Vermilion? There's an amazing YouTube video of it---I've tromped along beside it east of La Salle for a span, and it's a very different river when it's pumped with spring rain: quite a drop from S. of Mendota to the Illinois River.

Hi, Cap!

Love the I and M Canal; have kayaked it and the river extensively a few years back before it all grew in. So much to see, what a great bike trail! Little Verm I have not tried. Would love to sometime. I'm sort of stuck because my current vehicle cannot top a kayak (or, rather, I don;t have the proper topper or Thule). :-( I have to rectify that, but I've been so busy, Cap.

Wow, do you have a blog or something? Id love to see photos of you on the I&M. I hike it in sections, too. I have been from Channahon to Seneca (and Starved Rock and such, just not connecting with the canal). Good stuff! You're going to love it!

I have a vintage 1955 Favilla soprano that is near mint (no cracks, nothing), much better condition, and older, than the one at GC NJ, and if anyone is interested, I would sell it for $325, and that includes USPS Insured shipping with tracking in USA (not willing to ship outside USA, sorry). Why selling? I just bought a Martin that I needed for my collection from brother cigarfan...so, something has to go or I'll be eating bologna sandwiches for life.

Now THERE is a signature with a Martin collection ! Well done...

Tony

Top Bottom