long and short of it

hoosierhills

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just wanted to know if a long neck concert has any advantage over a tenor.

Hey guys. Just wanted to know if a long neck concert has any advantage over a tenor.

The smaller body MIGHT make it more comfortable to play for some people.

Tricky question. One would be that you want a concert body size and sound, but prefer a tenor length scale for both playing comfort and a slightly fuller tone due to the longer scale length. If you want to tune it low g, the longer scale length is "slightly" more efficient.

I would definitely see this as a way of having the sound of a concert with the extra fret space and string tension of a tenor. I have a long necked soprano for that reason - want the soprano sound but with the extra frets of a tenor.

• Smaller body sound (more "ukey")
  • Easier to hold without a strap
  • A bit lighter
  • More likely to have friction tuners (if you prefer them)
  • More distinctive
  • Less snubbed by small-body purists
  • Good excuse to get yet more ukes

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/03/18/hms-listening-booth-3-koaloha-sopranos-ksm-00-ksm-02-ksm-t2/

This video is fascinating to me.
Comparing koaloha soprano body with soprano neck, concert neck, and tenor neck.

The "sound" of the uke is not just the body size. The longer scale is bigger sounding. There's more sustain on the tenor scale. If you play up into 14+, the longer length of tenor really really helps in sustain and having a ring instead of a plink. Anyway, I think that video demonstrates what scale length does to sound in as controlled a test as you're likely to find.

Last edited:
Very good information.

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/03/18/hms-listening-booth-3-koaloha-sopranos-ksm-00-ksm-02-ksm-t2/

This video is fascinating to me.
Comparing koaloha soprano body with soprano neck, concert neck, and tenor neck.

The "sound" of the uke is not just the body size. The longer scale is bigger sounding. There's more sustain on the tenor scale. If you play up into 14+, the longer length of tenor really really helps in sustain and having a ring instead of a plink. Anyway, I think that video demonstrates what scale length does to sound in as controlled a test as you're likely to find.

Top Bottom