What is the most difficult sized uke to build?

IMO, a soprano is the easiest to build and the most difficult to make sound good. A nicely balanced and voiced soprano is where a luthier really shows his stuff. If you're a beginner, start with a tenor. It will be less sensitive to the over building you will likely do.

Chuck,

I was looking at your site yesterday. You make some beautiful instruments.

In fact, I was wishing we could trade lives. Wouldn't you like to be a corporate attorney in Oregon and let me be a luthier on the Big Island?

I agree with Chuck. By far and away the most challenging build is a soprano with the tenor the easiest. The big trick with building is the overall thickness of the parts - it is very critical.

I just took delivery of a Santo reproduction soprano today. Talk about tiny! It must be difficult to make it sound good. It's almost like a super-sopranino. Speaking of which, a sopranino must be even more difficult too make sound good huh?

If that's a DaSilve Santo repo, that's a nice uke. He does a good job with those. Louder than you'd expect and so small it seems like it should fit it your pocket. Every serious collector, such as yourself, should have one IMO.

If that's a DaSilve Santo repo, that's a nice uke. He does a good job with those. Louder than you'd expect and so small it seems like it should fit it your pocket. Every serious collector, such as yourself, should have one IMO.

It is a DaSilva and does seem small enough to put in your pocket.:D

Soprano is the toughest to build. Those curves are pretty tight bends and there is no room to hide or sand out a flat spot or kink. Also its tough to muster up the courage to build it light enough to let it sound good.

Maybe a pineapple shape would be the easiest?? I haven't built one but the bends seem pretty mild anyway

4326789_672779a253_m.jpg
:confused:

Top Bottom