What are your favourite strings for Pono Pro Classic tenor?

Andy Chen

Reaction score
I'm not really bonding with the Koolau Gold nylons with wound low G and C strings.

So far, I've liked d'addario carbons most on atsh, which I've been struggling with on strings. I've tried worth clears, aquila nylgut, super nylgut, reds, and martin 620's.

The carbons come in both high and low g, with unwound.

I have been really pleased with Savarez Alliance classical guitar strings (541 R, 542 R, and 543 R) for the top three strings and D'Addario J4304 Classical guitar D on the bottom.

If you finger pick mostly, I would highly recommend southcoast HML-RW strings. Beautiful tone and loudest strings on a Pono that I found. If you strum alot then maybe they're not the best option

Thanks, everyone.

I've put on PhDs low G and I like them better on first impressions. I shall get around to most of your suggestions, since I have most of them in my stash.

I have a Pono ET-PC (cedar/macassar ebony) and I love the South Coast HML -RW. The wound 3rd & 4th string give it a very guitarish sound, full and resounant. If you are into that kind of thing. One of the joys of having different tenors is achieving particular sounds with different string sets.

I have had great luck with the PhD re-entrant, lovely sounding strings.

I am enjoying the Oasis warm with Low G wound (4th only) with my RTSH Spruce top. It is about a year old and the tone is really awesome.

I find picking the 1st and 2nd strings a little too high in tension for me with the HML RW. Haven't tried a suitable alternative yet.

I am enjoying the Oasis warm with Low G wound (4th only) with my RTSH Spruce top. It is about a year old and the tone is really awesome.

I find picking the 1st and 2nd strings a little too high in tension for me with the HML RW. Haven't tried a suitable alternative yet.

Thanks, I would get around to trying this at some point. Also in my stash. (Yes, I have a huge collection of strings.)

I took the strings off my new Pono Mahogany Concert Classic last night. They sounded terrible.

I put on the Martin M600 flurcarbon strings. They made it sound like a new and better uke.

Now it sings!

I took the strings off my new Pono Mahogany Concert Classic last night. They sounded terrible.

I put on the Martin M600 flurcarbon strings. They made it sound like a new and better uke.

Now it sings!

Do you know what strings it came with?

The strings that came with my Pono ATSH Pro Classic were Ko'olau Mahana's with a wound C.

I don't like wound strings so I changed them to D'Addario Titanium T2's.

D'Addario Titanium T2's were too high tension for me so I changed them to 'Ukulele Creations PhD's.

PhD's were too bright for my liking and I learned that I prefer a warmer sound, so I changed them to Ko'olau Mahana's All Plain.

I love the sound of the Mahana's, but I want more volume because I learned Pono's aren't the loudest, so I plan to try Oasis Warm High G.

Last edited:
The strings that came with my Pono ATSH Pro Classic were Ko'olau Mahana's with a wound C.

D'Addario Titanium T2's were too high tension for me so I changed them to 'Ukulele Creations PhD's.

PhD's were too bright for my liking and I learned that I prefer a warmer sound, so I changed them to Ko'olau Mahana's All Plain.

I love the sound of the Mahana's, but I want more volume because I learned Pono's aren't the loudest, so I plan to try Oasis Warm High G.

I have got PhDs on right now. Yes, they are bright but still warmer than my Koaloha and Kamaka, both of which have fluoros.

It makes sense that rosewood with cedar will be warmer than acacia and/or koa.

Check out Worth Browns. If you like warm. I think they sound great on one of my Pono's.

Check out Worth Browns. If you like warm. I think they sound great on one of my Pono's.

Yes, I heard great things about Worth Browns. I bought a set for my concert GString koa uke. I want to try Oasis because Andrew of HMS told me that he likes them better than most fluorocarbons because they are not so slinky.

I want to try the Daddario Pro Artes, but so far I have the Daddario Nyltech. They are much better than the strings that came on my Pono ATSHC-PC

Top Bottom