back to the soprano

tangimango

Reaction score
Anyone else just love the soprano. I started on the soprano, then moved up to a concert/tenor then now back to the soprano.
I just love the ease of playing it and how much fun it is plinky around on it.

I love the soprano too. I tend to play concerts occasionally, mainly when I'm looking for a slightly more resonant and fuller sound - usually for melody playing - but while I can conceivably imagine a concert-free life, I can't bare to think of one without a soprano. The scale offers a dynamic sound and playability all its own.

I too love the soprano. I'm going to thin my herd and am only holding on to those I play regularly and that's my soprano and my best baritone. The rest are going on the chopping block.

*puts hand up* Me too. There's a soprano lovers group on the Facebook for those who do that thing.

Wait, there's other sizes?

Seriously, the soprano is fantastic for folks who maybe have smaller hands or want a super portable instrument! It's the only size I consider when looking at ukes. Too bad because there are some makers that only produce larger ukes.

Soprano. Yes.

Others. Well, okay. But Soprano First.

The ultimate for me! I play concerts on occasion, but get the most joy out of each of my sopranos. They have that "jangle" that larger ukes can't duplicate.

Definitely the wee soprano is my first choice...
:D... but I can spare some love for the other sizes if required!

I love the soprano too. I tend to play concerts occasionally, mainly when I'm looking for a slightly more resonant and fuller sound - usually for melody playing - but while I can conceivably imagine a concert-free life, I can't bare to think of one without a soprano. The scale offers a dynamic sound and playability all its own.

:agree: Absolutely!

I started with a little kiddie soprano and could not do a D chord (2220). I then got some vintage ukuleles that were entry level back in their day. I could chord better, but was not impressed.

So, I followed the advice here on UU and other places and ordered a concert size for my first "proper" ukulele. I learned on it for several months (Uncle Rod's Bootcamp nearly everyday), and found that I could play better on those cheapie vintage ones once I build up muscle memory and hand strength.

I took the plunge last summer and got an Opio. Haven't looked back and I am now Team Soprano. Still think I needed that concert for half a year, but it is now only played when I change the humidifier.

I have one Soprano in a collection of tenors. I love its unique sound, just right for particular songs. Unfortunately my clumsy fat fingers are not a match for that size fretboard, hence I find that I am not playing it that much.

My large hands seem a bit encumbered around a soprano's fret #1 in gCEA or GcEA but do okay in GDAe. I'm leaving on a long road trip and will be trying some concerts (and others) in upcoming weeks; if one sings to me and accepts my fingers, great! My tenors are comfortable but those aren't *really* ukes, are they? ;)

I can foresee myself acquiring more sopranos (or concerts), with each dedicated to a specific tuning. (Little stickers on each headstock remind me how to tune that axe.) Will SAS ever overtake me? Dang, I'll have to sell some other stuff to pay for them. [/me shuffles through camera lens collection] Yeah, I don't *really* need these Takumars and Tomiokas and Steinheils...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...e-Soprano!&highlight=full+circle+back+soprano

I had the same experience (in thread above) going from soprano to other sizes and back to soprano, which I play nearly exclusively now.

A soprano is a true ukulele, and once we are adept at, in particular, barre chords and second or third position chordings, the small fretboard size is not difficult, even for large fingers (drbekken, eugeneuke, johnnyfoodstamps come to mind).

Team soprano! and yes, the interplay between soprano and tenor, in skilled hands, is a quite remarkable pairing. Demonstration by Remco and Kenneth.

Last edited:
I started on tenor and realized it was not my scale. Concert is the perfect scale for me, but I have a mahogany soprano that I dearly love.

Thanks for posting the video coolkayaker1 - absolutely wonderful!!!!!! Reaffirms my love of the soprano.

Last edited:
Having recently acquired my soprano, I have to say that it is really a wonderful ukulele. It is great to sit in my recliner and just pick out melodies by ear and then try to harmonize them. I am not finding the smaller fretboard a problem as I thought I might. The Martin fretboard seems plenty wide enough and 12 frets seems to cover a lot of musical ground. I don't intend to sell my concert or tenor ukuleles though. All three of mine have their uses.

Tony

Top Bottom