NUD: Bruko Jumbo Concert (Shortscale tenor?)

mr79

Reaction score
Well, after 12 weeks of waiting it finally arrived - a custom jumbo concert from Bruko, which has a concert scale and a tenor sized body (the body on this is bigger than Bruko's standard tenor, which is... odd).

I basically chose the simplest, barest look I could think of, (even leaving off the soundhole ring), with a solid mahogany body and maple neck. The fretboard is maple too, and the maple has a nice flame to it. It is ridiculously well made, and I can't believe you can get one made to your own spec for less than £200 - which is still a heck of a lot for me, but I figure it's an investment in my playing as much as anything.
The only change I've made is swapping the strings for Worth browns, I also made a buffalo bone saddle... I was originally going to have the standard one piece 'Bruko' bridge, but Hubert said he prefers the two-piece on the larger ukuleles, so I figure he's the one with the experience and I get to make my own mark on it with my own saddle.

I am so ridiculously pleased with it. I'm a (learning) fingerpicker, and wanted something like my standard Bruko concert with more volume and depth, and the sound on this is exactly what I hoped... it feels like there's more expression if that makes sense.
I've wanted to like tenors for the volume and low-G option, but I love the concert scale, so was over the moon when I found out about the jumbo. I think the concert tension goes really well with the larger body size.

Anyway here's some pics

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3956.JPG

Classy looking. Wish I could hear it. Congrats. Now you have me thinking. All mahogany with an ebony fretboard....hmmm, would be very Martin looking....kind of.

I too have a Bruko large body concert, rosewood b/s, cedar top, really nice upgrade geared tuners and I had them add a pick-up. It does seem to remind me of a short scale tenor. I also put Worth brown tight tension strings on my Bruko although I have to say the pyramid strings that it came with sounded pretty good to my ear. It is a great uke from the sound to the set-up. I am pleased with my purchase.

I too have a Bruko large body concert, rosewood b/s, cedar top, really nice upgrade geared tuners and I had them add a pick-up. It does seem to remind me of a short scale tenor. I also put Worth brown tight tension strings on my Bruko although I have to say the pyramid strings that it came with sounded pretty good to my ear. It is a great uke from the sound to the set-up. I am pleased with my purchase.

The Pyramids Bruko use now are much better than the ones they used to use - I didn't hear much difference between them and Worths to be honest, but the brown strings are easier to see against the maple neck!

I'm curious how this sounds. Can you post a sound sample? I've been watching Bruko and have read they have a very good build quality. I'm a tenor player so their tenor seems kind small next to a Pono and the sound sample I've heard are trebly. I'd be curious what this oversize body would be like with a Tenor neck. Their price/quality ratio seems very good.

That's interesting, Bruko didn't even label the headstock? I think the contrast between the body and the neck looks fabulous. Is the jumbo concert smaller than a tenor?
Congrats on your new baby!

Top Bottom