Tabs or How-To videos?

UkuleleD

Reaction score
So I'm in a predicament.

Initially I created a youtube account with the idea of making detailed how-to videos and teach songs that way. However, what I have discovered as I go along is most of the songs I have done so far, people still ask for tabs and I end up doing them anyways.

So, I'm starting to think I should just use the videos to record me playing the song, and then just attach the tabs instead of going through a long how-to video. The only exception being lets say if theres a certain strumming pattern or technique that is used, I would tack that onto the video of me playing the song near the end and then refer to the tabs for the rest.

Does that sound like the best thing to do here or is there a better way of going about it, what have you found to be true, what do you like better?

Open for suggestions, as it's you guys I'm doing it for. I have a rendition of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu4Hnbor9rI ready to go but am waiting until I get the above sorted out.

I learn best with just tabs and a recording or video. How to videos usually move at a bad pace for me--either too fast or too slow, but that's just how I learn.

I think some people feel they learn more easily/quickly with tabs and others say the same about videos. If you were to get rid of the videos and just do tabs, then you'd probably have just as many people asking for videos. :p

That said, I personally think the medium of video is best suited for the kinds of "show me" things like specific playing techniques, whereas tabs are better for general song stuff.

JJ

I personally find how to videos more helpful, but i could definitely understand how some prefer tabs. I would suggest keep on putting up how to video and put tabs in the side thing.

thanks for the input all, I will put it to good use :)

Ideally I can learn from a video to get fingering down and then have tabs to refresh my memory. If I had to pick just one and I had a performance video to refer to I'd probably go for tabs.

Ideally I can learn from a video to get fingering down and then have tabs to refresh my memory. If I had to pick just one and I had a performance video to refer to I'd probably go for tabs.

I concur with opinions of cpatch.

As a beginner I like to have the tabs to a good song to sit back on the patio with a cool brew and pluck away with. :music: I like the video just to keep me on track and show me what the tabs are supposed to sound like.

On a side note, for me, finger picking tabs are handy which is the type of playing I like right now and was my preference on guitar. A strumming type tune I would prefer a tutorial video since I have little experience with them. The strumming type tune got me interested in ukes which I would still like to learn.

Top Bottom