PDA

View Full Version : Strings for the big G.

Icelander53
05-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Gretsch that is. I have the Gretsch G9121 Tenor. For the price it's a really nice uke. Even at double the price I'd consider it worth it.

However compared to my Pono's it sounds just a little thin. Not bad but enough so I'm always reaching for the Pono's even though I really love playing the Gretsch.

Right now it's strung in low G with Oasis bright strings. I think it needs a little warmth or something to fill the sound out. So I was thinking maybe some Ko'olau Mahana Low G with 3rd and 4th wound. (on hand) Supposedly they are warm. If that reduces the volume a little it would still likely be good due to the active pick up. I can amp it for more volume.

Any thoughts about the logic of this? If you have this Gretsch what are you using?

The other strings I have on hand that I'd consider are
South coast low G
Living Waters low g
LoPrinzi Low G
Ko'olau Alohi low G
LaBella Uke Pro high G
Fremont single low G
D'Addario Nyltech high G
Ko'olau Gold (with Fremont's for the low g)

Icelander53
05-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Well since no one chimed in and I was chomping at the bit I put on the ko'olau Mahanas. There was supposed to be a wound third and fourth but they goofed and didn't put in the wound 4th so I substituted a fremont squeakless 4th. Just finished it about an hour ago. First impression is what I expected, sound seems good and is warmer than the Oasis to my ear. The surprise though was I thought they would be somewhat muted compared to the Oasis fluorocarbon. Instead it's WAY louder. Go figure. I think they should do the trick. Still early though and I need time for the strings to settle in and my ear to evaluate if it's a sound I want to live with. Also sound very good amped on all Led Zeppelin songs.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Just as a side note, the oasis sets come in either bright or warm. They are identical except for the A string which vary by a couple of mil. The brights haven't sounded great on any uke I've tried them on but I'm a big fan of the warm sets. BTW, the new SouthCoast medium sets I've grid have the same problem with the A string being too thin.

Icelander53
05-22-2015, 09:42 AM
I agree about thin A strings. I don't like em. So far the only fluorocarbons that have impressed me are Worth Browns. (They sound awesome on my Pono.) Oasis are very decent but I always end up replacing them with something else. Something is missing for me but I can't for sure splain that.

The Ko'olau A is so fat that I had to force it into the bridge slot. They are easy to play but high tension and it's noticeable. But it's the volume change that has surprised me. I'm liking them atm. And thanks for that bit of info on Oasis A strings.

southcoastukes
05-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Just as a side note, the oasis sets come in either bright or warm. They are identical except for the A string which vary by a couple of mil. The brights haven't sounded great on any uke I've tried them on but I'm a big fan of the warm sets. BTW, the new SouthCoast medium sets I've grid have the same problem with the A string being too thin.

Very puzzling post, Chuck. I know you work for Oasis now, but would that job description require you to make negative posts about other string makers? I've had some good things to say on occasion about other folks strings, but I've stayed away from the negative, myself.

But back to the puzzling part. The only "new" Medium set we have are the Medium Gauge Ukulele sets (reentrant). The 1st string in those is in fact, thicker than an Oasis Warm 1st.

If you're talking about the Medium Gauge Linear set we've had for years, then the 1st string there is indeed .006 thinner than an Oasis Warm 1st. That's awfully close.

Icelander53
05-22-2015, 04:14 PM
So why is his association with Oasis preclude him evaluating other string sets? Personally I'm glad to have him speak his mind. That's what this forum is for and that's what this thread is for. At least I hope so.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Very puzzling post, Chuck. I know you work for Oasis now, but would that job description require you to make negative posts about other string makers? I've had some good things to say on occasion about other folks strings, but I've stayed away from the negative, myself.

But back to the puzzling part. The only "new" Medium set we have are the Medium Gauge Ukulele sets (reentrant). The 1st string in those is in fact, thicker than an Oasis Warm 1st.

If you're talking about the Medium Gauge Linear set we've had for years, then the 1st string there is indeed .006 thinner than an Oasis Warm 1st. That's awfully close.

Haha! Where did you get the idea I work for Oasis? It would be sweet if I did. But I don't! He quoted me in an email a couple of years ago and posted that on his web site. Since then I've ordered strings from them a few times but that's as far as my relationship with them goes. Transparency.
I have sung high praise about your strings Dirk, and there's a reason I have used them on my ukes for years. I realize you are constantly trying to improve your strings sets and I appreciate it. My apologies though as I misquoted the SC I referred to in my previous post. The set I like, and use, is the "Heavy Medium Gauge Ukulele Set". I believe I said "medium" before. This current HM version has an A string that is .019" thick. (The Oasis "warm" on the other hand has an A string that is .022" thick.) When people ask me about my favorite set of strings I tell them: Fremont Soloist for the G string, SC for the C & E strings, and Oasis for the A string. This means buying three sets of strings to string up one uke and that gets expensive. No one has yet designed the perfect set of strings for my taste.
Keep doing what you're doing Dirk, I think you are a great asset to the ukulele community. Your newsletters are also very informative. I'm hoping you will take the comment I made about the A sting as constructive and by no means a criticism or an attack on you. I know you have appreciated feedback in the past.
Oh, and if any string manufacturer out there wants to sponsor me or hire me in any capacity, well...........sorry, I don't do that!

southcoastukes
05-22-2015, 04:24 PM
So why is his association with Oasis preclude him evaluating other string sets? Personally I'm glad to have him speak his mind. That's what this forum is for and that's what this thread is for. At least I hope so.

An association, in an of itself, wouldn't preclude commenting on others products if that's the way you want to go.

But are you all right with that associate misstating facts? Do you think I should have let that sort of statement stand uncorrected? Comparative diameter is not an "opinion".

southcoastukes
05-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Haha! Where did you get the idea I work for Oasis? It would be sweet if I did. But I don't! He quoted me in an email a couple of years ago and posted that on his web site. ... My apologies though as I misquoted the SC I referred to in my previous post. The set I like, and use, is the "Heavy Medium Gauge Ukulele Set". I believe I said "medium" before. This current HM version has an A string that is .019" thick. (The Oasis "warm" on the other hand has an A string that is .022" thick.) When people ask me about my favorite set of strings I tell them: Fremont Soloist for the G string, SC for the C & E strings, and Oasis for the A string. This means buying three sets of strings to string up one uke and that gets expensive. No one has yet designed the perfect set of strings for my taste.
Keep doing what you're doing Dirk, I think you are a great asset to the ukulele community. Your newsletters are also very informative. I'm hoping you will take the comment I made about the A sting as constructive and by no means a criticism or an attack on you. I know you have appreciated feedback in the past.
Oh, and if any string manufacturer out there wants to sponsor me or hire me in any capacity, well...........sorry, I don't do that!

O.K., That sounds like the Chuck I know!

String diameter can vary a bit, even with modern manufacturing. The HMLs are speced at .023. I don't know how you measured that much less if you got them direct from us.

As far as 1st string diameters, we don't like them really thin either. The only way to get them thicker is to go high tension or low density. It's a tricky balance, and we're always looking for low density that's not too "funky" (dead).

And if Oasis isn't giving you something for that web page with your name all over it, they're ripping you big time! Get on 'em!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-22-2015, 04:40 PM
An association, in an of itself, wouldn't preclude commenting on others products if that's the way you want to go.

But are you all right with that associate misstating facts? Do you think I should have let that sort of statement stand uncorrected? Comparative diameter is not an "opinion".

Holy smokes! So buying strings from a company means I have an "association" with them? In that case I have an association with hundreds of people, including you! Please read my previous post. There I've admitted to referring to the "Medium" sets when I should have said "Heavy Medium" but even on those sets the A string is too thin for what I want. Comparing the two brands I mentioned the A strings are .003" apart from each other. I said that I PERSONALLY PREFER a larger A string on my ukes. I also mentioned in my first response that I am not a fan of Oasis "bright" sets. Just trying to keep it real here and not singling anyone one out. As i said earlier, no one has made my perfect set of string yet. Being on this board for 8 years now and having read enough string discussion I know I'm not alone. Just as there is no perfect uke for everybody. I am truly sorry you took offense at my response.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-22-2015, 05:02 PM
We're stepping on each other's posts here. So that sounds more like the Dirk I know! I know we've conversed in the past and it's always been constructive.

This is the reading I'm getting on the A string from the HML sets I got most recently. It's not the best digital caliper in the world but it should be pretty close. Admittedly, for me, I look for sound first, then tension.

I'm sorry, had I known this conversation was headed in the direction it took I think this would have been best carried on outside the forum. I do however feel that we both felt attacked early on. I trust we've resolved that misunderstanding. ;)

BTW, I haven't been on the Oasis web site in a couple of years so I'm not familiar with what's going on over there.

southcoastukes
05-22-2015, 05:55 PM
We're stepping on each other's posts here. So that sounds more like the Dirk I know! I know we've conversed in the past and it's always been constructive.

This is the reading I'm getting on the A string from the HML sets I got most recently. It's not the best digital caliper in the world but it should be pretty close. Admittedly, for me, I look for sound first, then tension.

I'm sorry, had I known this conversation was headed in the direction it took I think this would have been best carried on outside the forum. I do however feel that we both felt attacked early on. I trust we've resolved that misunderstanding. ;)

BTW, I haven't been on the Oasis web site in a couple of years so I'm not familiar with what's going on over there.

Yeah, they've got you front and center, so when I first saw that post, I obviously jumped to the wrong conclusion. Sorry for that!

We look for tension & sound together - equally - and then diameter if we can get it.

You're right - the forum thing wasn't the best thing. Will look forward to the better communication we've always had in the past.

Aloha, Chuck!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Sorry, I omitted this from my last post.

This is the reading I'm getting on the A string from the HML sets I got most recently. It's not the best digital caliper in the world but it should be pretty close.

southcoastukes
05-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Well, Chuck, that photo explains the discrepancy. That is not an HML set, it's an HMU set. It came from "HMS". The labels are different - we just put "names" on their sets (along with tuning suggestions) instead of both names and "codes" on our direct sales.

Both "HMs" are "Heavy Medium Gauge" , but "L" stands for Linear, and "U" for Ukulele - as in this photo - that's our name for a reentrant set. We don't just "throw on" wound strings on top of our reentrant sets - in order to get better balance we often will have 4 completely different strings. When building a set with wound strings, we start from scratch.

No one else goes to this sort of trouble, so it's common perception that we're just "getting by" with as few strings as possible, because that's what everyone else does - we don't. Your caliper is not that far off - that set has a 1st string speced at .020. So if you thought one set (Ukulele) corresponded directly to the other (Linear), then that's what threw you off.

This is actually always a problem when someone on the forum reviews our strings. There are posts along the lines of "I tried Southcoast and .........". Of course most of those reviews are nice, but whether good or bad, outside of a general philosophy about stringing, it's almost impossible to generalize about our strings. Every set is made of different material, so unless a reviewer specifies the set, saying "Southcoast" on a review has very little meaning.

Ukulele Eddie
05-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Just as a side note, the oasis sets come in either bright or warm. They are identical except for the A string which vary by a couple of mil. The brights haven't sounded great on any uke I've tried them on but I'm a big fan of the warm sets. (Irrelevant comment to my post removed)

I think the naming convention Oasis chose -- "warm" and "bright" -- is misleading. My Hive Hornet Spruce/Maple came with Oasis "Brights" and pretty much everyone who heard the HMS sound sample or heard this uke in person comments how wonderfully "warm" it sounds. To be fair, I haven't yet tried other strings on it yet. While I'm normally quick to do so (certified String Changing Obsession), this is one of the very best sounding ukes I've personally heard so I'm not anxious to explore strings.

When I do, I would probably try the Southcoast set with the wound third and fourth next.

E

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Well I'm as lost as ever now. Never mind though, I'll be selling my ukes stringless from now on.
Happy weekend everyone.

AndrewKuker
05-23-2015, 12:40 AM
My apologies Icelander for straying but I was wondering if Dirk could expound upon why the high A of his HM linear set would be be different from the high A on his HM reentrant set?

Icelander53
05-23-2015, 01:56 AM

I have no issue with you disputing a statement you don't agree with. I'm guessing you know that. What I dispute is making it personal which is what happened. That's not debate nor how these discussions are supposed to work.

And I have no problem with the topic straying. Ask anything you want.

DownUpDave
05-23-2015, 02:08 AM
Back to our regularly scheduled program.........strings for the Gretsch hog. If you say it is a bit thin and you would also like more warmth give this a try. Put on a wound third and fourth, this will give more sustain and depth. Using what you have on hand I would then use the Living Water E and A string, I find them on the warm side.

Icelander53
05-23-2015, 02:24 AM
But Dave, That's just what I did put on. The sound is a little bright and there isn't much sustain compared to the Pono's. That may be something strings cannot address. Sometimes I think they just put things like warm, and bright on string sets for the rubes. (of which I am one)

Of course when I play it today it could sound different. That's the rub, which part is generic human bias and what is actual?

DownUpDave
05-23-2015, 02:37 AM
But Dave, That's just what I did put on. The sound is a little bright and there isn't much sustain compared to the Pono's. That may be something strings cannot address. Sometimes I think they just put things like warm, and bright on string sets for the rubes. (of which I am one)

Of course when I play it today it could sound different. That's the rub, which part is generic human bias and what is actual?

There in lies the rub.........each uke can be a seperate creature all on it's own, defying usual tenants. There is one thing about wounds that seem to be contradictory, although they add sustain the metallic sound can be preceived as bright.

Looks like you are in for a long experimenting session. It may never sound like your Pono. Both sam13 and myself had ukes we had tried as many as 7 different string sets but in the end just sold the ukes. Not saying this is your situation, just try the Mahanas

Icelander53
05-23-2015, 04:33 AM
The Fremont Low G is a truly awesome string on this guy. If they could all be so. But plugged in I'm liking it pretty well although I might swap out the E and A Ko'olau for some Southcoast. You are correct sir, it's never going to be a Pono but then it cost about 1/4th. And it's a sweet uke. I've been singing its praises since the day it showed up at my door.

Gretsch now has a soprano at HMS. It's only $99 but the write up says it's one of the sweetest little sopranos they've seen anywhere near that price. If I was into that size I'd buy one. I may anyway just for fun.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Both "HMs" are "Heavy Medium Gauge" , but "L" stands for Linear, and "U" for Ukulele - as in this photo - that's our name for a reentrant set. We don't just "throw on" wound strings on top of our reentrant sets - in order to get better balance we often will have 4 completely different strings. When building a set with wound strings, we start from scratch.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. You have two versions on the "Heavy Medium Gauge" sets, one for linear tuning and the other for re entrant, (or what you call "ukulele". The difference is not only in the G string but in all the other strings as well. If that is correct then it is very confusing to customers that I recommend your string to. Many, myself included, will buy a re entrant set and simply slap on a low G string if that is their preference.
Also, the packaging label seems to be different depending upon whether the sets are bought directly from you or from one of your retailers. The sets I have have no "HMU" or "HML" designation, it simply says "Heavy Medium". Since many of my customers purchase their strings from Hawaii Music Supply it makes it even more confusing when I recommend your strings to them as I have no idea where they are buying them or what they are getting. From now on I will make sure I recommend either "HML" or "HMU" or tell them to get the all plain set re entrant set or the linear set with the wound basses. Again, it's not clear on some of the packaging (as shown by my photo) exactly what I'm getting at first glance. Thank you for clearing this up for me and for the work you do in helping us sound the best we can.

southcoastukes
05-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Yes, Chuck, that's all correct. I know there's a ton of stuff to digest on our site, but one thing we try to make clear in various pages (the Materials page, the Linear set reviews, etc.) is that we have never found the practice of simply substituting a wound string for a plain string is one that gives optimal results.

If you look for balanced sound in a set, then replacing a somewhat subdued, low sustain string with another that is neither, means that in our view the other three strings should then be looked at for best match in tone. Sometimes we might change just one more string, sometimes two, but more often than not, they all change. We are indeed unique in that regard - it's obviously more trouble to do it that way, and of course more expensive as well. We feel it's worth it.

As far as the packaging goes, both our "direct sale" labels and the "retail" labels have the same "names". In other words, what you have is a "Heavy Medium Gauge Ukulele Set", not a "Heavy Medium Gauge Linear Set". There is no abbreviated "code", such as HMU-NW, or HML-RW on your pack because we wanted to print tuning suggestions on the retail label, and that takes up all the room.

Someone on our site can see the suggested tunings, someone on the HMS site can see them as well. And on both sites the codes are there. But since someone standing in a retail store can't see all that tuning and tension info, we crammed at least the C tuning tensions onto a bigger label for the "in store customers".

Hope that clears things up a bit. And many thanks for the kind words!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Might I then suggest that you label your sets "Linear" and "Re entrant" then? I see "Ukulele" on a set of strings and I assume it designates the type of instrument those strings are intended for, not a specific tuning.

Dan Uke
05-23-2015, 08:18 AM
very interesting read as many of us use Frankenstein sets if one string breaks of we wanna go from high G to low G and vice versa.

For me tension, string diameter is almost as important as sound. I don't like a single string to be skinnier or fatter than the others and that's why wound strings work well for me.

Ukulele Eddie
05-23-2015, 06:15 PM
I know there's a ton of stuff to digest on our

There is. And frankly in my opinion it's not easily discerned for even an experienced uke player. I have referred several people there who got overwhelmed and gave up. I think the site could be set up so that people who really want to get into string nuances have all the great information. And for others who want a simple way to buy some quality strings can do so without feeling like they need a PhD in string dynamics.

For example, it's not uncommon for people to not know the scale of their uke while most everyone knows the size. On your site, the charts show scale, not size. While you provide scale length for sizes on your intro page, it's not in all the charts. Then add in tunings and tension and many people are intimidated. The shame is they miss out on a great set of strings because it got to too complicated for them.

Icelander53
05-24-2015, 03:29 AM
Fortunately I don't need to be taken seriously by everyone else. That seems like a most unpleasant place to be.

"ignorant in our chosen recreation" I guess I should be sorry I'm not meeting someone else's standards on what I'm doing here.... but I'm not. :music:

wickedwahine11
05-24-2015, 07:09 AM

Sorry, I omitted this from my last post.

This is the reading I'm getting on the A string from the HML sets I got most recently. It's not the best digital caliper in the world but it should be pretty close.

I generally absolutely LOVE Southcoast strings - I have been a big proponent of the HML-RW set. After trying about a dozen different string brands/sets, it is one of my two all time favorites. But I just bought some packs of these exact strings from HMS and both A strings snapped on me and they seemed super thin - the first when initially stringing up the uke, the second after the uke had been strung on its own the next day. As a result, I've avoided using the other sets I bought and plan to go back to the HML-RW that I previously had no problems with. That is not intended as a diss on you Dirk. I love Southcoast and am a big proponent of your strings, I just know that for whatever reason that set is not for me, and I should stick to the HML-RW.

I hope you don't take that as an attack - I have told countless people on forums, and in person, that your strings are fantastic. But I also believe that we should be permitted to say when things don't go right for us, for whatever reason. It doesn't mean that your strings are not good, they are. It just means that particular set is not for ME with my particular uke. Your other set works wonderfully for the same instrument. No rhyme or reason why, maybe I just got a wonky set. But admittedly I won't buy that computation again and will stick with the other from now on.

katysax
05-24-2015, 07:52 AM
I love Southcoast strings (usually) but I agree that the website is hard to follow. When I first read about the Southeast strings I went to the site and gave up. Only after I got my Moore Bettah did I go back and slog through it. Since then I've tried a number of their sets. I really prefer a wound low G now and even a wound low C.

And I agree that the strings should be labelled "reentrant" and "linear".

I know that people have been turned away by the complexity of the site.

Icelander53
05-24-2015, 08:52 AM
I was until Andrew basically told me what set to purchase. Without his telling me I would have never tried to deal with that site as a newbie or even now.

Maybe they could just sell to people who are pros and skip all us regular folk who prefer to be ignorant in your chosen recreation.

Dan Uke
05-24-2015, 09:37 AM
I don't know about that. SC has a lot of passion about strings. It could be the same with Ponos where they offer a lot of wood choices vs Kamaka that mainly offers Koa.

Icelander53
05-24-2015, 09:57 AM
I think I can decipher Pono's wood choices, even in my ignorance of my chosen recreation. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that phrase. :D

geetee
05-24-2015, 12:52 PM
If I were looking for a warm sound on the Gretsch, I'd try the D'Addario Nyltechs with the Fremont low G.

For the specialised tunings where string tension can have a big impact on the top of your uke, it pays to work around the string length or scale length, not the size of the ukulele. If you are not competent to measure the distance between the nut and bridge of your uke, maybe it is a mistake to vary string sets from the manufacturers specs?

Which side of the bridge should I use when making the measurement? Prior to this post, I would have used the distance from the nut to the saddle to determine the the scale length.

Icelander53
05-25-2015, 04:23 AM
If I were looking for a warm sound on the Gretsch, I'd try the D'Addario Nyltechs with the Fremont low G.

Well I'm still not satisfied so I'll likely give this a shot next. The Fremont is a winner.

coolcow
05-25-2015, 04:43 AM
I love Southcoast strings (usually) but I agree that the website is hard to follow. When I first read about the Southeast strings I went to the site and gave up. Only after I got my Moore Bettah did I go back and slog through it. Since then I've tried a number of their sets. I really prefer a wound low G now and even a wound low C.

And I agree that the strings should be labelled "reentrant" and "linear".

I know that people have been turned away by the complexity of the site.

Like Katy....The SC site is so informative...I almost gave up on it....But I know Chuck used SC strings on his ukes therefore I purchased a few set and I'm in love with the HML-RW set after since.

Dirk is a great guy...I remember he answered all sort of strings questions from me....he's been really patient! :)

DownUpDave
05-25-2015, 07:54 AM
I think I can decipher Pono's wood choices, even in my ignorance of my chosen recreation. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that phrase. :D

I could suggest you just use some "fishing line", cause it's all just the same stuff anyways. This would combine "being ignorant" and start another heated debate, sidetracking your post even farther. ;)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Like Katy....The SC site is so informative...I almost gave up on it....But I know Chuck used SC strings on his ukes therefore I purchased a few set and I'm in love with the HML-RW set after since.

But what sets was I recommending? I don't know any more as there have been many changes over the years I'm afraid I may have been recommending the wrong ones lately. Once it becomes clear to me I'll let you know.

Icelander53
05-25-2015, 03:29 PM
I could suggest you just use some "fishing line", cause it's all just the same stuff anyways. This would combine "being ignorant" and start another heated debate, sidetracking your post even farther. ;)

Well some folk in the know use fishing line successfully. I Know I did for almost 40 years. It's one of the best ways to catch fish I've ever found.

Icelander53
05-25-2015, 03:43 PM
Well I thought I already posted this but it looks like I goofed.

Here's how the Gretsch ended up. (so far) I didn't like the ko'olau strings I put on it. It sounded very flat and low volume after I'd listened to it for about a day. I wanted more sustain so I left the Fremont low G on and left the ko'olau wound C and then I replaced the E and A string with South Coast. So I'm hooked up now with three string sets contributing to my sound. And it's really much better now. I played it for some hours this afternoon and never even felt the urge to pick up a Pono. So I think this is going to work.

DownUpDave
05-26-2015, 01:10 AM
Well I thought I already posted this but it looks like I goofed.

Here's how the Gretsch ended up. (so far) I didn't like the ko'olau strings I put on it. It sounded very flat and low volume after I'd listened to it for about a day. I wanted more sustain so I left the Fremont low G on and left the ko'olau wound C and then I replaced the E and A string with South Coast. So I'm hooked up now with three string sets contributing to my sound. And it's really much better now. I played it for some hours this afternoon and never even felt the urge to pick up a Pono. So I think this is going to work.

Thanks for the update as it is interesting to see what worked out. Good on you for experimenting, too many people don't do that and then miss out on the sound they were looking for. Your example can help others think out of the box, so glad you are liking the sound.

I have two ukes with mix and match string sets because I was trying to find what worked..........and finally did.

merlin666
07-07-2015, 07:16 AM
I have a Gretsch 9120SM which came with Aquila Nylguts and it sounded very good to me. I then made the huge mistake of switching to d'Addario Titanium strings which are thick and soft and not only sounded terrible but also were quite off for intonation. I tried them for a few days and then switched to Aquila Super Nylgut with their red low G string. This needed a bit of widening of the nut and saddle slots, but I am very pleased with the resulting sound. I am considering sticking with these, or maybe try some (Martin) fluorocarbon for something completely different...