Is anyone interested in hearing my violele project story?

UkAlele

Reaction score
Hi UU,

I'm in the throws of making my first Violele (Hybrid between Uke and 3/4 Violin). It's made from Oak, mahogany, rosewood, cedar and ash. Decoration within the wood is comprised of hand carved hearts made from Pembrokeshire driftwood. It will be oiled with tung oil then French polished eventually.

So if anyone in the UU community would like me to post the Violele story then let me know in this thread. There's nothing like reading a great story with a happy ending, but what happened...? Pics also available... Let me know if your Interested?

The next part..

Well, as previously written in other articles I had started to build instruments. I'm progressing really well and wanted to build something quirky.

My inspiration came from a gull wing coffee table which belonged to my Great Aunt Doris and Uncle Stan... fortunately they were not around when it went into the cutting machine.

The table made from Oak looked really sad and unloved, not even high tea liked to be placed on such a sad looking table.

So why a violin and uke? Well my answer is because I've got UAS and my Great Aunt played the violin professionally in an orchestra. I thought it would be great to create a timeless heirloom which could be played, would inspire others to learn the uke and allow me to remember how fantastic my great aunt was; also uncle Stan but he normally just smoked his pipe quietly in the corner.

I've joined the two instruments together, roughly rasped out wooden areas and removed unwanted varnish. It's due next for fine tuning and hopefully the instrument will be fully playable by July ish... There are three others in the production line at different stages (two violins and one Viola). They are such good fun to make...

Also being made in the workshop are Itsybitsyukes... Micro ukeleles with a 6.75 inch scale... (any building advice greatly appreciated)...

Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to create a sales outlet for the products as they get completed... ETSY, Give them away perhaps, Charity raffles... Mmmmm... What do you think? ☺

And that will be my next story... Watch this space...

Thanks for your time and support if you read this article...

DSC_0022.jpg
DSC_0291.jpg]79881[/ATTACH]DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0033.jpgDSC_0291.jpg

. DSC_0299.jpg
Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Last edited:
A violele/ukelin hybrid is a concept I've considered, I've just not yet found two donor instruments at a price I wanted to pay. I'd be interested in a brief resume and a couple of pix of your project :)

Right ..Firstly (and in no way meant to be rudely )..what is a ukelin /violele ?? I have an inkling but remain unsure ?

Thanks for the reply and I've checked out the instrument. Super cool, and adorable; it sounds very precise. Regards Uk-Al-lele

Pembrokeshire driftwood

Which beach? My wife, myself and our dogs try to get away to a cottage we love in Plwmp every year. The dogs love Aberporth beach and Poppit sands especially.

Parrog or any beach really like Cymtydu, Newport, Barra Fundle etc.

I'm also working on a Violele. I wanted to keep the violin headstock shape so have removed the neck, sliced it down the middle and plan to put a new piece of wood between the two halves to increase the width.

Hi I just cut the headstock off and the created a scarf joint onto which I attached the shaped headstock. You then have to be creative to reproject lines and curves to get a modified headstock. I'm not too sure on the tuners yet but intend to use machine gear head tuners. The fun is definitely in the redesign of the product.DSC_0292.jpg
DSC_0278.jpg

If you are interested I can continue to post the progression of the Violele project with pics?

Regards
Uk-Al-lele

I also have a violele project in the pipeline. My big question mark is how to join the uke neck to the violin body. I'm leaning towards a mortice and tenon joint where the tenon would be formed from the heel of the violin neck but I'd be interested in other people's ideas.
Miguel

a good idea, try it out and let me know how it worked out. I tried a flat surface joint with dowL. titebond three also used.

Top Bottom