While away on vacation...

igorthebarbarian

Reaction score
I was on vacation last week to the wonderful world of Yakima, WA (the "Palm Springs of Washington" ha!)... I decided NOT to take a ukulele on vacation with me more so due to packing/logistics/ carry-on rules and such.

We were traveling to see my wife's family up there, and we had her brother/his wife/their 3-year old with us. So after we got checked into our hotel, I was sitting there thinking "Dang, I kind of wish I had a ukulele to play around with".

So the next day we went to my wife's Uncle's and he gave our 3-year-old niece a Kala Ukadelic black paisley uke for her recent birthday!

I said, "Yesssss! now I have a uke to play!" - funny how that worked out perfectly.

Her other uncle, who plays acoustic guitar, was playing around with it after I tuned it up, and he said "Wow, this would be fun to write songs on". So we might get him on for his birthday or Christmas.

I am going to my own Uncle's next month near the Monterey/Santa Cruz, CA area and was not planning on taking a uke. But now I'm definitely reconsidering it given how much I liked playing the Ukadelic on vacation.

As a side review, I wouldn't probably go out of my way to get my own Kala Ukadelic. The action on this one was way too high. Other than that, it was decent though. It came with Aquilas. Felt solidly built. Definitely good as a travel/beater uke though, which is what I'd use it for if I didn't give it back to our 3-year-old niece when we got home.

Great story! I'm sure you know the action can easily be lowered if you want. :)

Order a Dolphin or Shark from Uke Republic, it will be set-up properly and they change the strings to something better sounding. I have a Shark I bought for my grandson, but he's not real interested, so I customized it. Now, if my grandson gets interested, I might have to send him a new one! ;-D

I'm away on 'vacation' (a 6-week road trip around the USA SouthWest) now too and my needs will NOT be denied. My Kala KA6 tenor and my old Kay mando are in my big suitcase and the Martin Backpacker guitar is in its gig bag (looks like a shotgun case). We'll stop near Zion NP next and I'll whip them all out and wail. But for now, I'll just play the Backpacker's top 4 strings and pretend it's a baritone uke.

Meanwhile, my grandkids got harmonicas last XMas. This year, I think it'll be ukes. I we plant ukes like seeds among our kin, will they sprout?

You just never know when you're gonna run into a uke that needs playing....how fun!

I know I know! It was one of those "I don't know if we have room in the luggage, and I don't want to break anything "good" that I actually like". So I didn't take one. Then bam! this Ukadelic showed up out of the blue. I should "borrow" this for my next trip. And shave down those nut-slots while I'm at it.

How is leaving for vacation without an ukulele ever an option?

Top Bottom