Ukulele JJ's Birthday Challenge!

Ukulele JJ

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Today is my birthday. Yahoo! :nana:

Anyway, I thought I'd celebrate by (among other things) throwing down a challenge to the UU community. Here's the deal:

1. Go to this site, or this site, or any other similar site you find, and figure out what the number one song was on the day you were born.
    • The first link is to the US charts and the second to the UK charts, but you don't necessarily have to use the chart of your own country.
    • If your date of birth is earlier than these lists go, then--and only then--you can pick another year, such as your 16th birthday.
  2. Do a ukulele cover of that song.
  3. Post the link to it here in this thread.

That's it! No fancy prizes, because this challenge has no end date. And yes, you might get stuck with a song you hate, or that you can't find the chords for, or that doesn't fit the ukulele at all, etc. But hey, that's why it's a challenge. :D

I've set up a YouTube playlist of all the responses I'm aware of. I'll try to keep it updated.

And no, I haven't done one myself yet. I'll be a bit busy today. But I'll get to it eventually...

Good luck!

JJ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This was, for a few months, an actual contest. The winners are here. The rules are preserved below, for historical purposes...)

Grand prize: In honor of my recent over-the-hill-ness, a $40 Amazon.com gift card, so you can buy yourself a birthday present!

Second prize: $20 Amazon gift card.

Third prize: $10 Amazon gift card.

(Those outside the US may opt for an equivalent amount on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, or Amazon.ca, assuming I can figure out the website.)

Deadline: July 11, 2009, 11:59PM CDT.

Criteria: Entries will be judged on, um... basically how much I like 'em. :D I'm mostly concerned with the musical content, and what you do with the song that fate has given you. Talent is nice, but so is musical creativity, enthusiasm, etc. Fancy video hijinks will neither help nor harm your chances.

Old Video Policy: Fine by me! If you've already done a video of the song that was #1 on your birthday, I'm certainly not going to make you record it again. (Although you can if you want.) Likewise, if your video is new, there's no need to say anything specific at the beginning of your video to prove that it's new. (I never like doing that myself, to be honest.)

Whining Policy: Not allowed. Never heard of your song? Go find it. No clue how to play it? Figure it out. Think the song is too stupid for you to do? Get back to me when you've checked out all the entries to Deach's "Mmm-Bop" contest.

Honor System: Yes, I'm trusting you to use your real birthday, and not just say you born on such-and-such instead, because you like that song better. Seriously, that would very uncool.

Good luck!

Last edited:
How cool! I just checked out the song on my birthday, and I'm totally in! :)

Oh...more 80's songs for me...I don't know if I'll survive this! :D

ummmm so I have looked up this before... "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler... I would much rather do the 1982 one on my birthday... "Jack and Diane" by John Cougar

This sounds like a fun challenge. My birthday is Sunday and it is a big birthday that I am not sure I'll survive. Perhaps it is fitting that my song is I will survive. I've been playing for only 4 weeks and that song has way more than 2 chords in it. I've also never made a youtube video before. Perhaps it is a daring way to start a new decade.

I got two results "set adrift on memory bliss" and "black or white" I'll try to get a cover up of both.

Great, a Rod Stewart song, Maggie May. I have the bad singing down pat, but I simply refuse to wear tight pants. (And you will be very glad I refuse to wear skinny jeans):eek:

Happy belated birthday!

you should maybe say that the first page is for US charts and the second is for UK charts... I did look up a German page (guess why...) on my birthday Pet Shop Boys "Always on my mind" was #1... Oh my...

Happy belated birthday!

you should maybe say that the first page is for US charts and the second is for UK charts... I did look up a German page (guess why...) on my birthday Pet Shop Boys "Always on my mind" was #1... Oh my...

UH OH, I just realized that I have to look up the GDR charts! but there are none! How should I join this contest when the state I was born in didn't have charts? at least none you could find on the www... plus you won't find any chords for those songs... I think I'll stick wit the PSB

Happy Birthday man!

For my B-day.....Silly Love Songs ~ Paul McCartney & Wings...I may actually be able to pull this one off.....after beer #5 that is.

I'm not good enough yet to record and post anything (especially not the '60s music that represented number one on my birthday!), but I have to say that this is the GREATEST, COOLEST challenge ever!

This is indeed an awesome challenge, but Michael Bolton's "how am I supposed to live without you?" is not something I will ever do. It's just...ew. :mad:

Good luck, whoever gives their song a shot! :cool:

Top Bottom