Your song

Icelander53

Reaction score
Could you, would you, share it here? What is the song that most reflects your personality or beliefs or desires or where you are in your life at the moment, etc? I'll put mine up as soon as I look over the 1000s of songs I do and see if I can find the best one.

Well s**, there were dozens that came to mind so at this moment I'm going to choose this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFCqvsT3z7Y

Not exactly a fun song to play on the uke but I can make it work. Mostly I want to see what you guys are all about.

Hi Ice,

Maybe this is not a straight answer, but for me songs come and go so often, so I don't have an anthem or theme song right now.

However, a poem my maternal Grandmother introduced me to when I was about 12 yrs old, has always been persistent in my mind and soul, and especially when faced with challenges in my life. In those times it has become a Mantra for me.

I offered a dramatic (emphatic and emotional) reading of this poem at the podium in the synagogue at her funeral service when she passed back in 2005 as my tribute to her.

I apologize in advance if this is not a meaningful contribution to your thread here.

I thank you for the indulgence. :shaka:

Right now my life is a crucible, so this is especially appropriate for me.

The poem is 'If' by Rudyard Kipling.

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

(taken from http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/kipling_if.htm)

As this poem is music, it is right here at this place. It's beautiful and encouraging. Thank you so much, Booli.
mathias

There are many songs that I can say reflect the many facets of my true nature. I remember buying this cassette tape off the import table at the local Graff-Wadman record store back in the day. A couple times through just now and it still feels right today.

The mix between heavy metal guitar and a Latin beat clearly ahead of its time.

Can I play it on ukulele... likely but can I play it multiple times to fatten the sound properly. Nopers... and where to find a cowbell.

That poem that Booli posted is great. I want to print it out and put it up in my condo.

Since getting into ukulele, there is one CD that I listen to a lot. It is Daniel Ho's "Polani". Every piece is like a very well written poem even though it is completely solo instrumental fingerstyle. I have a musical goal of learning every tune on that CD. Music, as much (if not more) as words, can move me, and this CD really does it, and has now for several months.

Tony

Don't Worry, be Happy. That is the first song of the day, every day. A simple song to play and sing, and it puts me in the mood.

Thinking back, the most memorable song for me at a certain point in my life was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmDakhg45rk

...Ooh Child by the Five Stairsteps

This is not a style I normally listen to, but at the time it was popular on the radio, I was in Army Basic Training, looking at being shipped off to Vietnam (which happened almost a year after that). This song seemed to boost my spirits whenever it was on. Whenever I hear this tune, all of that comes back vividly.

Tony

Hi Ice,

Maybe this is not a straight answer, but for me songs come and go so often, so I don't have an anthem or theme song right now.

However, a poem my maternal Grandmother introduced me to when I was about 12 yrs old, has always been persistent in my mind and soul, and especially when faced with challenges in my life. In those times it has become a Mantra for me.

I offered a dramatic (emphatic and emotional) reading of this poem at the podium in the synagogue at her funeral service when she passed back in 2005 as my tribute to her.

I apologize in advance if this is not a meaningful contribution to your thread here.

I thank you for the indulgence. :shaka:

Right now my life is a crucible, so this is especially appropriate for me.

The poem is 'If' by Rudyard Kipling.

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

(taken from http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/kipling_if.htm)

Works for me.

There are many songs that I can say reflect the many facets of my true nature. I remember buying this cassette tape off the import table at the local Graff-Wadman record store back in the day. A couple times through just now and it still feels right today.

I had a feeling I'd be hearing some Metal.

Can I play it on ukulele... likely but can I play it multiple times to fatten the sound properly. Nopers... and where to find a cowbell.

I'll try this out on my Risa. lol.

My song is Here Comes the Sun by George Harrison.

I loved this song long before I played the uke. Then I found out that Harrison was a uke fanatic and this song lays out perfectly on the instrument. I used to play it on guitar capoed at the 7th fret. I think George must have composed it on the uke. It's alright...

Sometimes it's RIVER BLUES (R.Crumb & His Cheap Suit Serenaders). Sometimes it's Frank Zappa's TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OFF WHEN YOU DANCE. But mostly it's good old Irving Berlin's BLUE SKIES. Very rarely is it INNA GADDA DA VIDA (the Bart Simpson version).

this song is awesomely bad. Really bad :)

I love Song Sung Blue!!! The Ukulele Band of Alabama does this one!

My mood at this moment in time is................

I've never thought of this before, and now that I'm thinking of it, I don't know that there's a single song that fills the bill. "Imagine" is a good one, though, and it falls nicely on the uke in G major. So is "Here Comes the Sun" which also a nice fit in G major.

One of my all-time favorites, though, is "I Think It's Going To Rain Today." It's rather melancholy, and my past attempts on guitar didn't work out. It may be too complex for the uke, but I'm hopeful.

Top Bottom