One of my periodic attempts to identify my mystery soprano

Captain Simian

Reaction score
I won this on eBay about 2 years ago and have never been able to find out who made it. Solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck and nut, maple bridge. I had to replace the original tuners because they were shot but the buttons where shaped like Kluson Keystones. The only thing I know for sure about this uke is that is was made in Japan, possibly in the 50's. The only reason I know it's Japanese made is because when I got this one another one exactly like her was also up for auction on eBay and had a Made In Japan sticker inside. In retrospect I should have bought that one too since this is one of my keeper ukes. Anyone recognize her?

IMG_43131_zpss5fdpqmv.jpg

IMG_43141_zpszduxnwbg.jpg

Wow very pretty uke!

I have no idea, but it looks really interesting.

Tony

Guessing by the 'martin crown' headstock, the rounded heel, the 'bitemarks' fretboard end and especially the black-white-black rosette, it's made between 1955 and 1963 at the Nippon Gakki factory, which used the Yamaha brand after its founder Torakusu Yamaha. The other japanese manufacturors, like Hoshino Gakki (Ibanez, Star...), Luna Gakki and Kiwaya (Famous) never used that rosette pattern.

The bridge and the 'german stripe' fretboard markers do seem off, though.

Yamahas are very good players, modelled after Martins in shape and weight, and with very slim necks.

Guessing by the 'martin crown' headstock, the rounded heel, the 'bitemarks' fretboard end and especially the black-white-black rosette, it's made between 1955 and 1963 at the Nippon Gakki factory, which used the Yamaha brand after its founder Torakusu Yamaha. The other japanese manufacturors, like Hoshino Gakki (Ibanez, Star...), Luna Gakki and Kiwaya (Famous) never used that rosette pattern.

Yamahas are very good players, modelled after Martins in shape and weight, and with very slim necks.

I've also been trying to ID a no-name uke of that era - not as yet successfully - except to establish that it too is Japanese. I'm wondering now if mine is a Yamaha.

no-name-uke.jpg

The neck is definitely not slim, about a medium C shape. It would be awesome if the uke was made in the Nippon Gakki since my Yamaha BB300 bass was also made there. I got her for my 14th birthday and is one of two basses that I'll never consider getting rid of.

Top Bottom