triple-neck (banjo) ukes

k0k0peli

Reaction score
I have a couple pervy ideas I'm afraid to post on the Builder's forum. But here...

Anyway, I'd thought to bring two soprano ukes on my current long road trip but I couldn't fit them into a large soft briefcase that is otherwise unused. (I brought the Kala KA6 tenor instead.) Whilst driving across Great Basin National Park yesterday, the first idea struck: build a 3-neck uke with a short wide rectangular body that would all fit into that case. String the necks (1) high-G standard, (2) low-G mellow, and (3) fifths mando style. The necks would extend in parallel, perpendicular to the body. I still need to measure everything to see if it'll fit, but if I *can* fit three ukes into one gig bag, great! I'll call it Triton.

(I googled around tonight and found http://www.shimoguitars.com/UK/3neck.html -- that looks like 3 tenors melded together. Nifty!)

Then came the next inspiration: a 3-neck banjo-uke! The necks could not be in parallel; they need to radiate from the rim/head. But I think I've worked out the architecture to keep the string sets from fouling each other. The trick: put bridges closer to the necks and run long tailpieces intersecting over the head. I reviewed the concept while stomping in Zion National Park today and it seems sound.

(Googling for 3-neck banjo-ukulele returns no hits. Darn.)

Do these ideas sound reasonable, or should I be fitted with a straightjacket immediately? Please advise.

I think if you made it like a Waterman water-proof uke, you could market it as Poseidon's Trident!

Take 3 waterman ukes, one bandsaw and some plastic adhesive.
Et voila!
h

Top Bottom