What ukulele would you play to accompany an electric guitar?

wayward

Reaction score
The lead ukulele player in our band also picks up an acoustic guitar, a banjo or an electric guitar for some songs. When he plays lead electric guitar I usually use my baritone (a Pono Mango electro-acoustic) to play rhythm, but am I missing a trick here - is this an excuse to get another ukulele? If so, what would you choose to play with an electric guitar? A Risa maybe..?

Have you ever considered an 8-string tenor? I took an inexpensive Oscar Schmidt OU28T, added an as-inexpensive pickup/preamp to it and that gave a lot of versatility. Sound sample (unamped) of the OU28T (tuned cCgGDDAA) )is at https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/oscar-schmidt-ou28t-heart-of.

There are a lot of good choices for 8-string, including the Pono MT-8.

My Risa steel string Black Beauty electric uke. It's really a fun uke to play and sounds amazing amped.

Have you ever considered an 8-string tenor? I took an inexpensive Oscar Schmidt OU28T, added an as-inexpensive pickup/preamp to it and that gave a lot of versatility. Sound sample (unamped) of the OU28T (tuned cCgGDDAA) )is at https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/oscar-schmidt-ou28t-heart-of.

There are a lot of good choices for 8-string, including the Pono MT-8.

Yes, an 8 string Tenor. With this, you can sound like a 12 string guitar, a mandolin or a pair of ukes. They are extremely versatile.

I had a Risa, they are very good but you will just sound like a higher pitched electric guitar. Another option would be a banjo uke (think Mumfors and Sons)

The Godin Multiuke is a great option or a Pono or Koolau solidbody tenor are a great choices too.

In an 8 string, it's tough to beat the new, all solid Ohana with solid spruce top and mahogany body. Sounds amazing for that kind of money.

Last edited:
All of my ukes, past and present came with or I've added preamps, ready for any occasion. Oops, have held of adding one to my black mandolele, but sooner or later...

Ah, so I "need" an 8 string, a banjolele and a Risa: I won't argue with that ;) but, I should have explained that I'll have to save up first. In the meantime, I have a 5 string Kala ATP which I'm getting a pickup fitted to soon & I'm tempted to try some South Coast metal strings on it to see if that fits the bill; haven't worked out where the 5th high G string would come from yet). Yay (give it a go) or nay (are you mad woman?)?

Ah, so I "need" an 8 string, a banjolele and a Risa: I won't argue with that ;) but, I should have explained that I'll have to save up first. In the meantime, I have a 5 string Kala ATP which I'm getting a pickup fitted to soon & I'm tempted to try some South Coast metal strings on it to see if that fits the bill; haven't worked out where the 5th high G string would come from yet). Yay (give it a go) or nay (are you mad woman?)?

Try it, Yay!
Also try some different strumming or picking techniques, like clawhammer, chunking, slapping etc. You can get a lot of sounds out of one instrument by approaching it in alternative ways.

Try it, Yay!
Also try some different strumming or picking techniques, like clawhammer, chunking, slapping etc. You can get a lot of sounds out of one instrument by approaching it in alternative ways.

We've been learning so many songs I haven't taken enough time to experiment with them lately; I'm definitely going to be taking this advice :cheers:

Yes, I'd love a Risa Les Paul :drool:

I had one. It's pretty, no doubt. It could do most of the things that you can do with an electric guitar that is missing its two lowest strings and has a capo on the 5th fret.
It is fine but a pretty big investment for what is essentially a novelty item

I had one. It's pretty, no doubt. It could do most of the things that you can do with an electric guitar that is missing its two lowest strings and has a capo on the 5th fret.

I think (unlike most other ukuleles) the Risa's are cheaper in some parts of Europe than they are in the USA, but as I'm in the UK it would make more sense to order something from Rob Collins at Tinguitar if that's the kind of sound I'd decided to opt for... I'm more taken with the idea of spending time on my playing to get the right sound though: while I do use different strums, chucking and picking in a gig, I rarely mix them up within a song. So, that's what I'm going for next.

I am hoping to try metal strings on my ATP5 too, but I'm not sure Southcoast sell these for tenors (I couldn't find any on their site) and I'm not sure if I can get them here in the UK. If anyone knows the answer to these questions please let me know; if not I'll run the idea past the very helpful folk at The Southern Ukulele Store. Thanks people.

Why is it a "novelty" item ? :)

No , sorry don't see that John ....it's only about as "Novelty" as playing Classical music on a Uke...or Clawhammer....or Blues ...or etc etc..
all "big boy" instrument derivatives .

I think it just depends on what you like to play....I don't have one ...but I think I would like one.:drool::biglaugh::uhoh:

Mic any instrument and you can play it with a guitar. Soprano, Concert, Tenor, Bari, they all work. Put in a pickup and they'll all work better on a live stage. I have played with guitars just fine with acoustic ukes mic'd. You don't need to match the size at all. Are you wanting a more guitar sound? (you say baritone so I am not sure if one can assume that's why you play baritone with the guitar) but any uke works, so whatever sound your striving for would steer me toward the particular instrument. If you play bari because you want that tuning, then that would be the best, but if there is no particular reason, I'd grab whatever fits for that style of music and tone you are looking for.

Top Bottom