PDA

View Full Version : Rookie mistake w/new string set

gyosh
05-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I was all excited to try a set of Southcoast ML/O-NWM strings on my Compass Rose only to pull a lame mistake and turn the wrong tuning peg and tuned the E to A which of course popped the string. So angry with myself I had to vent here.

Give me your best shot at ridicule. Today, I've earned it!!

-Gary

deschutestrout
05-26-2015, 01:10 PM
I was all excited to try a set of Southcoast ML/O-NWM strings on my Compass Rose only to pull a lame mistake and turn the wrong tuning peg and tuned the E to A which of course popped the string. So angry with myself I had to vent here.

-Gary

That was your 25,000th post! You don't deserve any ridicule :-)

gyosh
05-26-2015, 01:17 PM
That was your 25,000th post! You don't deserve any ridicule :-)

I think that makes it kinda' worse.

. . . but thanks.

sukie
05-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Jerry....Jerry...Jerry. You know better.

Booli
05-26-2015, 01:43 PM

-Gary

Sorry it wasnt a cheaper set of strings like GHS black nylon, Aquila Nylgut or Martin M6x0.

I bet fer sure you wont do THAT again. :(

Icelander53
05-26-2015, 01:46 PM

-Gary

That was a pretty basic mistake Gary, I think they print the name of the string on the package. You weren't paying attention which is always a no no.

There, how was that?

gyosh
05-26-2015, 02:18 PM
I just ordered another two sets. You know. In case of stupid. Again.

Booli
05-26-2015, 02:56 PM
I just ordered another two sets. You know. In case of stupid. Again.

I thought I saw on the Southcoast site that you could order single strings as an occasional special order instead of a full set - is that option still offered by them? and if so you might have saved a few dozen shekels...

Patrick Madsen
05-26-2015, 02:56 PM
Ah more strings to throw in the "Just in case" box. I had an old iron worker friend who always said they ordered three of everything: one to lose; one to break and the third taken home in the lunchbox. Could be the same with ukes; one to lose, break and last one for the instrument case.

Thanks for the post, it makes me feel better about my umm miscalculations.

IMO, a person can never have too many Southcoast strings.

Ukejenny
05-26-2015, 02:57 PM
I think we're gonna have to pull your VIP card and back you down to 5,000 or so posts.

sukie
05-26-2015, 03:02 PM
I think we're gonna have to pull your VIP card and back you down to 5,000 or so posts.
+1

mds725
05-26-2015, 03:28 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I recently put Oasis strings on a tenor ukulele. The package said that the strings are long enough for two sets, so I automatically cut each string in half. My rookie mistake. It turns out that the C string was NOT long enough for two tenor sets (Yes, I'm annoyed at Oasis. They will be hearing from me.), and by cutting the C string in half before measuring, I didn't get even one C string out of that set.

Dan Uke
05-26-2015, 04:02 PM
yeah, I did that when I was a rookie. My first uke was a Koaloha tenor and I've never heard of low G so I tried to tune it to "my dog has fleas" and of course the low G string snapped. I called Koaloha and "Moms" Okami chuckled and sent me a low G and high G string to experiment.

RichM
05-26-2015, 04:16 PM
When I got my first banjo, I accidentally put strings on it. It never sounded good after that.

PhilUSAFRet
05-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Another "fallible" uker....who'd a thunk it.

Kanaka916
05-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Gary, Gary, Gary . . .

stevepetergal
05-26-2015, 05:21 PM
That'll teach ya.

gyosh
05-26-2015, 07:03 PM
When I got my first banjo, I accidentally put strings on it. It never sounded good after that.

Winner!!!!. .

gyosh
05-26-2015, 07:06 PM

Thanks UkeJenny. You made me laugh.

. . . uh, I paid for that VIP to help out the boys.

kohanmike
05-26-2015, 08:46 PM
I know how you feel, when I received the electric steel string uke when I spearheaded a UU group buy out of China, I didn't realize it was strung with low G, it was the only low G I've ever used. I kept turning the tuner to get the G string to the higher octave I'm used to and POP, it was gone.

igorthebarbarian
05-26-2015, 09:00 PM
I did this with Worth Clear CM's on my new Risa Stick and barely made it. Because of the "odd" headless tuners, it got close on the E & A strings. Dumb me. What is that old carpenter saying, "measure twice, cut once"?

If it makes you feel any better, I recently put Oasis strings on a tenor ukulele. The package said that the strings are long enough for two sets, so I automatically cut each string in half. My rookie mistake. It turns out that the C string was NOT long enough for two tenor sets (Yes, I'm annoyed at Oasis. They will be hearing from me.), and by cutting the C string in half before measuring, I didn't get even one C string out of that set.

DownUpDave
05-27-2015, 01:26 AM
In my best "Soup Nazi" voice............No Strings For You :mad::mad::mad:

I also had a flub with Oasis strings. I took the wound low G and cut it in half.......only to realize it was already a half length. Duh

kvehe
05-27-2015, 03:49 AM
When my Mya-Moe 6-string baritone arrived, I was so struck by its magnificence that I momentarily forgot that it was a baritone, and tried to tune it GCEA. Fortunately I realized the error of my ways before anything bad happened.

ukulelekarcsi
05-27-2015, 04:38 AM
I've seen it happen four or five times with guitar players - all of them were watching an electronic tuner instead of listening to the string pitch. If you learn to tune by ear, you'll not only save on batteries, but on strings as well!

strumsilly
05-27-2015, 04:44 AM
at least you didn't tear the bridge off. or knock your eye out. count your blessings.

Booli
05-27-2015, 05:24 AM
I've seen it happen four or five times with guitar players - all of them were watching an electronic tuner instead of listening to the string pitch. If you learn to tune by ear, you'll not only save on batteries, but on strings as well!

Tuning by ear is a necessary skill everyone should know how to do.

Back in my guitar days, I acquired a tuning fork tuned to 'E', and would tune one string to that, and all the other strings relative, using both harmonics and the 4th/5th fret. Works for bass too, but in a noisy room, forget it.

But I think the problem that the OP is reporting on is indicative of the fact that IMHO I've not seen a clip-on or otherwise instrument tuner that shows you on the display, the ACTUAL octave of the note/pitch it is responding to, only the note name.

I asked a question about this a few months ago (clip-on tuner that shows note octave), but that thread got buried and no replies. C'est la vie!

There are a few tuner apps for phones/tablets that will show the octave of the note, such as the iOS/ipad app called 'instuner', which has/had a free version.

http://eumlab.com/instuner/

http://eumlab.com/assets/images/it/modes_top/fine/PM_40.png

I use this app all the time when I am restringing my ukes for all my string testing, as it prevents the mishap experienced by the OP, at least it does for me....YMMV :)

Icelander53
05-27-2015, 05:40 AM
Of the expenses one must be warned of when taking up the uke is SAS. I've easily got several hundred invested in the string learning process. I'm almost at the place where I have several favs that I think I'll just hang with. (right now that's south coast, worth brown and fremont for the low G. Oasis gets some honorable mention and Ko'olau also but exclusively to Pono instruments.

See, what a mess.

RAB11
05-27-2015, 05:40 AM

Back in my guitar days, I acquired a tuning fork tuned to 'E', and would tune one string to that, and all the other strings relative, using both harmonics and the 4th/5th fret. Works for bass too, but in a noisy room, forget it.

But I think the problem that the OP is reporting on is indicative of the fact that IMHO I've not seen a clip-on or otherwise instrument tuner that shows you on the display, the ACTUAL octave of the note/pitch it is responding to, only the note name.

I asked a question about this a few months ago (clip-on tuner that shows note octave), but that thread got buried and no replies. C'est la vie!

There are a few tuner apps for phones/tablets that will show the octave of the note, such as the iOS/ipad app called 'instuner', which has/had a free version.

I use this app all the time when I am restringing my ukes for all my string testing, as it prevents the mishap experienced by the OP, at least it does for me....YMMV :)

Pitch Lab does something similar, available on Android. Added bonus that you can 'preset' instruments. So you can make it automatically tune to low-g or high-g, or any tuning you like.

Icelander53
05-27-2015, 05:41 AM

isn't that cheating? :rulez:

gyosh
05-27-2015, 06:21 AM
When my Mya-Moe 6-string baritone arrived, I was so struck by its magnificence that I momentarily forgot that it was a baritone, and tried to tune it GCEA. Fortunately I realized the error of my ways before anything bad happened.

A six string baritone?

I would love to hear that!!

gyosh
05-27-2015, 06:23 AM
at least you didn't tear the bridge off. or knock your eye out. count your blessings.

String through bridge :)

. . . and I thought I was winding it up to tension. But yeah, totally not paying attention.

Booli
05-27-2015, 06:24 AM
isn't that cheating? :rulez:

Ha Ha! Then I guess none of us that require eyeglasses or contacts should be wearing them!

So I guess Lasik eye surgery and a hearing aid with a built-in A-440 tone generator should be in my future! :)

Booli
05-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Pitch Lab does something similar, available on Android. Added bonus that you can 'preset' instruments. So you can make it automatically tune to low-g or high-g, or any tuning you like.

Good to know. I'll have to grab that for my Nexus 7 and try it. Thanks! :)

gyosh
05-27-2015, 06:43 AM
So . . . . my CR is now sporting a brand new set of SouthCoast ML-SW's instead of the ML/O-NWM's.

. . . and I'll never do that again :)

kvehe
05-27-2015, 07:01 AM
A six string baritone?

I'm not generally one to get all hung up about whether I play well enough to justify having certain ukes, but I do have a few that I wish I could do justice to (to which I wish I could do justice) and that is one of them. It really is neat.

mds725
05-27-2015, 08:00 AM
A six string baritone?

Not to hijack the thread, but here's my Mya-Moe six-string mahogany baritone, played by Aaron Keim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPXUWlXiyos

mds725
05-27-2015, 08:05 AM
So . . . . my CR is now sporting a brand new set of SouthCoast ML-SW's instead of the ML/O-NWM's. . . .

Multiple teachable moments here! First, thanks for the heads-up about tuning! Second, how are those two string sets different?

Icelander53
05-27-2015, 08:06 AM
MDS that's one fine sounding instrument.

gyosh
05-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Multiple teachable moments here! First, thanks for the heads-up about tuning! Second, how are those two string sets different?

The ML/O-NWM's are all wound strings. The two trebles are nylon over steel. Kind of pricey but I wanted to give them a shot . . . or two :)

My uke is set up for the ML-SW's but I might go with Savarez if the new SouthCoasts aren't magical :)

. . . and how many baritones do you have now?!

Are you trying to surpass MMStan?

Ukejenny
05-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Thanks UkeJenny. You made me laugh.

. . . uh, I paid for that VIP to help out the boys.

Hey, hey, hey, I didn't say you couldn't use it. I just said we will need the membership card back for a while.