Rookie mistake w/new string set

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was all excited to try a set of Southcoast ML/O-NWM strings on my Compass Rose only to pull a lame mistake and turn the wrong tuning peg and tuned the E to A which of course popped the string. So angry with myself I had to vent here.

Give me your best shot at ridicule. Today, I've earned it!!

-Gary

I was all excited to try a set of Southcoast ML/O-NWM strings on my Compass Rose only to pull a lame mistake and turn the wrong tuning peg and tuned the E to A which of course popped the string. So angry with myself I had to vent here.

-Gary

That was your 25,000th post! You don't deserve any ridicule :)

Jerry....Jerry...Jerry. You know better.

-Gary

Sorry it wasnt a cheaper set of strings like GHS black nylon, Aquila Nylgut or Martin M6x0.

I bet fer sure you wont do THAT again. :(

-Gary

That was a pretty basic mistake Gary, I think they print the name of the string on the package. You weren't paying attention which is always a no no.

There, how was that?

I just ordered another two sets. You know. In case of stupid. Again.

I just ordered another two sets. You know. In case of stupid. Again.

I thought I saw on the Southcoast site that you could order single strings as an occasional special order instead of a full set - is that option still offered by them? and if so you might have saved a few dozen shekels...

Last edited:
Ah more strings to throw in the "Just in case" box. I had an old iron worker friend who always said they ordered three of everything: one to lose; one to break and the third taken home in the lunchbox. Could be the same with ukes; one to lose, break and last one for the instrument case.

Thanks for the post, it makes me feel better about my umm miscalculations.

IMO, a person can never have too many Southcoast strings.

I think we're gonna have to pull your VIP card and back you down to 5,000 or so posts.

If it makes you feel any better, I recently put Oasis strings on a tenor ukulele. The package said that the strings are long enough for two sets, so I automatically cut each string in half. My rookie mistake. It turns out that the C string was NOT long enough for two tenor sets (Yes, I'm annoyed at Oasis. They will be hearing from me.), and by cutting the C string in half before measuring, I didn't get even one C string out of that set.

yeah, I did that when I was a rookie. My first uke was a Koaloha tenor and I've never heard of low G so I tried to tune it to "my dog has fleas" and of course the low G string snapped. I called Koaloha and "Moms" Okami chuckled and sent me a low G and high G string to experiment.

When I got my first banjo, I accidentally put strings on it. It never sounded good after that.

Another "fallible" uker....who'd a thunk it.

Gary, Gary, Gary . . .

I know how you feel, when I received the electric steel string uke when I spearheaded a UU group buy out of China, I didn't realize it was strung with low G, it was the only low G I've ever used. I kept turning the tuner to get the G string to the higher octave I'm used to and POP, it was gone.

Top Bottom