More used Mya-Moe?

strumsilly

Reaction score
There are 5 Mya-Moe for sale on FMM, at one time. Has the flavor of the month changed? Have they been around long enough for used to start showing up? are there just so many new makers to try?

What's FMM?
Maybe people are finding out they ordered the wrong size????

Lots of MMs. Lots of Ponos. Lots of other stuff too. Martins seem to come up every second day but they're sorta still popular. MM have been around since 2008 so in relative uke terms in the current cycle, they've done the hard yards with 1000+ instruments built.

I think it's a coincidence to be honest. They always have come up for sale and like most other makers, always will. Judging by the 2 year wait list I don't think the flavour of the month has changed somehow.

Mine is for sale purely to buy more toys. I have a custom Mya moe coming in February, the one I am selling was bought as a in stock sale instrument from MM.

Keep in mind there are tons of Mya moes out there, as they have been one of the more successful companies out there, especially in the custom/semi custom market. It appears Mya moe is as much a part of the ukulele vernacular as the k brands. The numbers alone makes sense that the more MM's out there, the more you will find for sale on the used market.

As Recstar24 said, there are a lot of Mya Moes out there. I currently have two and have sold two. However, in my case it was not unhappiness with the uke that cause me to sell. I got rid of one that was a soprano because I just don't play soprano very much and I had a lot of sopranos. I got rid of a tenor that I bought used. I really liked it a lot but I had one in the cue being made and when I got the new one I sold the old one. It was a great uke that I really enjoyed.

I think Mya Moe is a brand that is known to aficionados who tend to have a lot of ukes. And some of us who have a lot of ukes tend to churn them. The two that I have are wonderfully playable, look and sound great. With the current wait I'm not likely to order another but would not rule out picking up a used one.

I also think that when people need money they tend to look at what will sell the easiest and get the most money. But the main reason I think MM comes up for sale is that there are a lot of them and they are in the hands of people who have a lot of ukes.

The MM wait isn't what it used to be if you're not wedded to a particular configuration. They now have some "available now" offerings (granted, the current ones are > 4K), plus a "coming soon" section that shows ukes currently being built that will soon be available, and upon which you can place a deposit or purchase now (granted, more or less sight unseen).

Last edited:
Just saw the available ones. The woods sure are pretty, but man, that's really pricey.

Just saw the available ones. The woods sure are pretty, but man, that's really pricey.

Those are from their secret vault series, essentially one offs with pretty rare wood.

The more normal ones that are coming soon or just became available are more reasonable. There were a few myrtles that sold very quickly. There was a very nice milo and redwood that also got snagged quickly and was very reasonably priced.

I'm liking the direction they are going in. Last year they built around 330-340 instruments. With holidays that is an uke a day, how amazing is that, and so consistent in their quality. It seems they are dropping there custom build schedule significantly but buffering with already premade for sale instruments available to purchase.

I am number 140 on the list. The end of 2016 is nigh.

I am number 140 on the list. The end of 2016 is nigh.

I sure your wait will get reduced. My name came up a few months ahead of schedule. What I did was refresh my email on their wait list pretty consistently. it shows on their end those users that are refreshing their names in the system. At one point, I was around 100 or so and suddenly it stopped to the 60's. I was at 35 and then suddenly my name came up next for a build slot. So hang in there and refresh often.

Just chiming in folks. I keep my eyes peeled for how many MM's are up for sale used on the internet. It usually is 1-3 at a time. Considering that there are now 1500+ in the world, 5 for sale at once doesn't seem scary to us. If there were 20+ I would wonder.

We will make 200+ instruments this year, which is a lot for a small company. As most of you know, our production system allows us to do this while keeping things handmade. The wait list may seem long, but considering many small builders only make 20 or so ukes a year, I feel we are doing pretty good at meeting demand.
A

People ask us all the time why we don't hire more people, build a bigger shop, use more cmc/automation or work more shop days. If we were to do any of these things, we feel like it would change the company in a way that would also change how we feel about it. For now, we will keep up our determined pace and try to get everybody a quality uke as soon as we can.

I am very happy there are MM's in the marketplace regularly. That allowed me to buy a number of their instruments without the long wait period. Over time I have resold some of those instruments but only to vary my collection, not because I was ever disappointed. Being home with the flu for the past week or so has allowed me the time to play my Ukes more than usual. Yesterday I was going through my uke groups song book playing my MM Sitka and Koa cut away tenor. It reminded me why MM has such a good rep and following, perfect intonation anywhere on the neck, playability and such a great tone. Who wouldn't want at least one MM in their collection? Wish I was in the position to grab that Reso tenor that is currently in the marketplace. Someone please buy that to put me out of my misery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom