PDA

View Full Version : Arm recess?

bunnyf
05-28-2015, 12:51 AM
i was just looking at the pix of MB Black Orchid (which is gorgeous) and noticed what I'm guessing is a recess for your arm on the upper edge of the body. Is this just a custom thing or does anyone else make them like that routinely. My right forearm (strumming arm) is very sensitive and gets bothered by the edge of my uke when I play too long. I use a strap and try not to have a death grip on the uke but nevertheless, I find a red mark and crease on the inner side do my forearm after a bit. I imagine that the rounding off of this area would be quite comfortable. Any info out there on this?

DownUpDave
05-28-2015, 01:43 AM
That feature is usually referred to as an arm rest or beveled arm rest. These are offered by some custom builders as an option. I have seen them on Moore Bettah, Maui Music amd LfdM. There might be more builders out there that offer them but those or the ones I am familiar with.

Their purpose is just as you describe, to have a smooth semi flat area to rest your arm so you don't get the nasty crease. Luis of LfdM calls it a "Laskin arm rest" to give full credit to Chip Laskin the Canadian luthier who first introduced them on his acoustic guitars and made it a popular feature. I have played a few LfdMs with the arm rest and it is really nice and comfortable.

Icelander53
05-28-2015, 01:57 AM
You know, just because some people who are not in the know think the uke is a toy the reality is you got to pay your dues to play this fine instrument and if that means a little crease then so be it. :rulez: Now wear that crease proudly like you would a new shirt.

spookelele
05-28-2015, 02:36 AM
Oscar Schmidt makes a comfort series with the bevel that is still pretty affordable.
Kala makes them on a few models but it really drives up the price.
Kanilea has an arm bevel as a custom option and I think there are a few Islanders with it.
There's probably more main stream ukes that have it that I'm missing, but they are out there if you hunt a bit.

bunnyf
05-28-2015, 07:36 AM
I think it's a wonderful idea. I think that I could play much longer and more comfortably, and as Martha would say, "it's a good thing". I would definitely add this option on a custom and would look for it in my next uke purchase, if I went non-custom. I've actually just seen some rest sold thru MF that can be added (don't know if they'll fit my uke , a Bari) but they have a template and I'd be willing to check it out.

KimosTherapy
05-29-2015, 06:12 PM

Laskin's Style Beveled Edge/Armrest makes playing sssooooooo comfortable!!!

bunnyf
06-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Very nice, Kimos! It would be nice if they were easy to find on more ukes. The one on Moore Bettah black orchid was the first that I had seen.

Icelander53
06-01-2015, 01:22 PM
You know I never noticed that arm crease thing until this week as I have a bad case of poison oak and it's pretty swollen and so when I play a major crease appears and it hurts. But in the year and a half I've been strumming I'd never noticed before.

itsme
06-01-2015, 01:55 PM
You know, just because some people who are not in the know think the uke is a toy the reality is you got to pay your dues to play this fine instrument and if that means a little crease then so be it. Now wear that crease proudly like you would a new shirt.
Well, that "crease" means you're pressing on certain nerves, which can cause pain and even nerve damage over time.

There are add-on arm rests available. There is also the "guitar sleeve" which is a more elegant solution than wearing a tube sock with the toe cut out on your arm, which some have been known to do to keep body sweat from affecting the finish of a guitar. Some of these have a padded area that goes over the sharp edge of the guitar to make it more comfortable.