Arm recess?

bunnyf

Reaction score
i was just looking at the pix of MB Black Orchid (which is gorgeous) and noticed what I'm guessing is a recess for your arm on the upper edge of the body. Is this just a custom thing or does anyone else make them like that routinely. My right forearm (strumming arm) is very sensitive and gets bothered by the edge of my uke when I play too long. I use a strap and try not to have a death grip on the uke but nevertheless, I find a red mark and crease on the inner side do my forearm after a bit. I imagine that the rounding off of this area would be quite comfortable. Any info out there on this?

That feature is usually referred to as an arm rest or beveled arm rest. These are offered by some custom builders as an option. I have seen them on Moore Bettah, Maui Music amd LfdM. There might be more builders out there that offer them but those or the ones I am familiar with.

Their purpose is just as you describe, to have a smooth semi flat area to rest your arm so you don't get the nasty crease. Luis of LfdM calls it a "Laskin arm rest" to give full credit to Chip Laskin the Canadian luthier who first introduced them on his acoustic guitars and made it a popular feature. I have played a few LfdMs with the arm rest and it is really nice and comfortable.

Last edited:
You know, just because some people who are not in the know think the uke is a toy the reality is you got to pay your dues to play this fine instrument and if that means a little crease then so be it. :rulez: Now wear that crease proudly like you would a new shirt.

Oscar Schmidt makes a comfort series with the bevel that is still pretty affordable.
Kala makes them on a few models but it really drives up the price.
Kanilea has an arm bevel as a custom option and I think there are a few Islanders with it.
There's probably more main stream ukes that have it that I'm missing, but they are out there if you hunt a bit.

I think it's a wonderful idea. I think that I could play much longer and more comfortably, and as Martha would say, "it's a good thing". I would definitely add this option on a custom and would look for it in my next uke purchase, if I went non-custom. I've actually just seen some rest sold thru MF that can be added (don't know if they'll fit my uke , a Bari) but they have a template and I'd be willing to check it out.

Very nice, Kimos! It would be nice if they were easy to find on more ukes. The one on Moore Bettah black orchid was the first that I had seen.

You know I never noticed that arm crease thing until this week as I have a bad case of poison oak and it's pretty swollen and so when I play a major crease appears and it hurts. But in the year and a half I've been strumming I'd never noticed before.

You know, just because some people who are not in the know think the uke is a toy the reality is you got to pay your dues to play this fine instrument and if that means a little crease then so be it. Now wear that crease proudly like you would a new shirt.
Well, that "crease" means you're pressing on certain nerves, which can cause pain and even nerve damage over time.

There are add-on arm rests available. There is also the "guitar sleeve" which is a more elegant solution than wearing a tube sock with the toe cut out on your arm, which some have been known to do to keep body sweat from affecting the finish of a guitar. Some of these have a padded area that goes over the sharp edge of the guitar to make it more comfortable.

Top Bottom