Two new songs from Old Blind Mole Orkestra

StivoBandini

Reaction score
Hello to all from France. My band, Old Blind Mole Orkestra, splitted three years ago... But things are changing and we're back with a new team.
So i'd like to present you two new songs we just recorded home, i hope you'll enjoy.
It's always the same kind of music, a jazz/swing/pop mix, with ukulele, violin, drums, upperbass, saxophones and musical saw (not on the two new ones) and my low voice :)
Here are the songs:

HIDDEN HERE

You are also invited to listen to our first two albums, recorded in 2008 and 2010. There will be a new album this year, but not before December.
Hope you'll enjoy our stuff. :)

Stivo,

What an excellent outfit you've got together there! And the slight French accent to your English vocals gives it extra vim.

Boogaboo and Ladder To The Moon (the pair of tracks made available to the public domain) have been recorded really well, too!
But I hope you'll allow a few small criticisms, too, after the praise.

In Boogaboo, your vocals tend to be drowned by the rest of the band. In Ladder To The Moon as well - albeit only in approximately the first half of the track. At a certain point, however, your voice becomes the dominating factor, suddenly and - as far as I'm concerned - rather unexpectedly, too.

Maybe it's since I'm recording in my own modest home studio, with some regularity, that I'm noticing these imbalances - which you might want to redress. As well as a slight L/R discontinuity (also in your vocal) I seem to hear over the course of Ladder To The Moon. But otherwise: excellent musicianship & great voice(s).

One last thing: your singing style is slightly reminiscent of Tom Waits. Is that deliberate or purely accidental?

tnob

Stivo,

What an excellent outfit you've got together there! And the slight French accent to your English vocals gives it extra vim.

Boogaboo and Ladder To The Moon (the pair of tracks made available to the public domain) have been recorded really well, too!
But I hope you'll allow a few small criticisms, too, after the praise.

In Boogaboo, your vocals tend to be drowned by the rest of the band. In Ladder To The Moon as well - albeit only in approximately the first half of the track. At a certain point, however, your voice becomes the dominating factor, suddenly and - as far as I'm concerned - rather unexpectedly, too.

Maybe it's since I'm recording in my own modest home studio, with some regularity, that I'm noticing these imbalances - which you might want to redress. As well as a slight L/R discontinuity (also in your vocal) I seem to hear over the course of Ladder To The Moon. But otherwise: excellent musicianship & great voice(s).

One last thing: your singing style is slightly reminiscent of Tom Waits. Is that deliberate or purely accidental?

tnob

Thanks a lot for all this Tnob :)
Well, i understand what you mean about the sound and mix, but for us it's just some demos so we don't work it as well as we should. We recorded it fast and the takes were not that great (especially the voices ones, the mic was not that good). We prefer to play it live a lot before doing a "real" new recording. In fact as i put on back this band and that we have two new musicians in, we needed new demos in a hurry for booking and stuff. So it went fast.
I think the next demos will be much better, even on the mix and global sound.
The drum on "a ladder to the moon" was bad ercorded too, not enough mics... it was hell to mix, but we had to cheat some stuff.
:)
And for the voice, yes i'm a big fan of Tom Waits and so i sometimes sing a bit like him (boogaboo style), well, i try to sing low but i surely cant go as low as he does. The voice on "ladder to the moon" is more my usual voice, i sing only 2/3 songs really low.
It kills my throat so i dont abuse of it.
But thanks again for the nice comments and appreciations, it's very helpful.

Top Bottom