Bari-tenor strings

I got to work with Craig closely on putting that set together, so I have a little experience with them. It's a different sound than what you'd expect from a tenor, but not as deep and rich as a baritone (due to the size, as well as it being re-entrant). We opted for ground nylon and a smoothwound silvered copper D string as we couldn't get a good nylon string that thick tuned that low, so went the wound (smoothwound is not truly "squeakless" but it's pretty close) route.

I got to work with Craig closely on putting that set together, so I have a little experience with them. It's a different sound than what you'd expect from a tenor, but not as deep and rich as a baritone (due to the size, as well as it being re-entrant). We opted for ground nylon and a smoothwound silvered copper D string as we couldn't get a good nylon string that thick tuned that low, so went the wound (smoothwound is not truly "squeakless" but it's pretty close) route.

Did you mean G string (which would be the lowest pitched of the strings on a reentrant DGBE set)? Do you know if there are any plans to make a non-reentrant set of these strings? If not, do you have a recommendation for a low D string that could be substituted for the re-entrant D string?

Did you mean G string (which would be the lowest pitched of the strings on a reentrant DGBE set)? Do you know if there are any plans to make a non-reentrant set of these strings? If not, do you have a recommendation for a low D string that could be substituted for the re-entrant D string?

Sorry, yes. Working on lots of different projects right now all at once.

I'd probably grab a 2395, which is the .034 version of the same smoothwound silvered copper. That would hold up for a linear baritone tuning on a tenor.

I'd probably grab a 2395, which is the .034 version of the same smoothwound silvered copper. That would hold up for a linear baritone tuning on a tenor.

Thanks! That's helpful. I got to hear the strings when Craig and Sarah were in San Francisco some months ago, and the strings sound neat. I'm just not sure that I want re-entrant sound.

Top Bottom