Mya Moe - I wonder if my Design Inspired This One

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
About two years ago I had this concert made by Mya Moe. I used a dark Myrtle wood and everything else Maple. I've never seen anything quite like it, and I was thinking maybe it was too weird - since I don't have the best eye.

1312Shoulder_03100213.jpg

Then along comes Mya Moe with a Spec instrument made from some of their master grade blue pond Myrtle, and it looks a lot like my design. I wonder if mine was this inspiration for this.

1773Shoulder_05211239.jpg

Mine is a concert and the Myrtle is striped so it's not quite as nice as the blue pond, and mine is darker, but its the same idea. That blue pond Myrtle sure makes it a lot more expensive.

By the way I love the instrument and play it all the time. Lots of ukes have come and gone but that one has stayed.

It sure looks like your uke inspired it Sherry, a beauty by-the-way. I think I might be in the same boat, I had a custom D hole gypsy uke made by Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam about a year ago and noticed in the last month or so that he has D and oval hole models on eBay now out of his store there, though mine is solid flame maple/Indian rosewood and those are solid acacia koa.

I think your MM is beautiful. Dark Myrtle like yours is actually somewhat rare I believe. The maple is a nice contrast, and I believe the maple binding has some nice figure in it which makes it even more beautiful.

I initially did not like that kind of contrast but the more ukes I see with it the more I appreciate the look. My custom mya moe that is in the schedule is a walnut with maple binding, and my Hoffmann ml tenor will have maple binding with ebony back and sides and a maple fretboard binding with ebony fretboard.

Aaron would probably come right out and tell you if you asked.

katysax,
What are the number for each of these ukuleles. I'd like to look them up to see more pictures. Both very beautiful but you dark Myrtle is stunning.

And for only $4800 you can avoid the two year wait. :rolleyes: MMs are nice but great googaleemoogaly! :eek:

And for only $4800 you can avoid the two year wait. :rolleyes: MMs are nice but great googaleemoogaly! :eek:

I hear you, Jim. Yes.

The good news: the uke is only $1800. The bad news: the pond-myrtle is $3000. lol

I hear you, Jim. Yes.

The good news: the uke is only $1800. The bad news: the pond-myrtle is $3000. lol

That price really is insane! I saw it and thought what a nice companion for my uke it would make ---- but not at that price. I'm ok with the striped Myrtle.

That price really is insane! I saw it and thought what a nice companion for my uke it would make ---- but not at that price. I'm ok with the striped Myrtle.

Agreed, that price seems super aggressive. But the fiddleback mahogany uke at $2,150 is quite attractive and more reasonably priced!

Unfortunately, they added the rope binding to wood that really looks stunning without the frills. The striped Myrtle is fantastic, btw. Wow.

Last edited:
katysax, I think yours is the most beautiful of the two. Love the contrast of your darker, striped wood with the binding.

Top Bottom