What Harmonica?

UkEdman90

Reaction score
So i want a harmonica guys! REALLY BAD! i want to play along with my uke! so can anyone point me in the right direction to a nice harmonica? you know beginner ones preferably a diatonic. thanks!

-Don

Here's a good basic review: http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/harmonicas.htm
I'm just a beginner Harmonicaist (real word?). Start with a decent C key, I like my Suzuki East Rider, though bang for the buck hard to beat a Japan made (by Tombo) Lee Oskar.

I play harmonica way better then I play uke and I have not practiced harmonica in years. Best harmonica I ever owned for playability is a Suzuki Pro master MR 350. The reeds bend like butter. The Pro master series ain't cheap but this line http://www.harmonicasandstuff.com/suzuki-diatonic/suzuki-harpmaster-harmonica-mr-200.html is not bad and it has many fans. I can't compare the harpmaster series to what Hohner harmonicas you will find in your local music stare as I have never played harpmaster.

I can tell you this though. I learned on cheap Hohners and every thing I can do on my Pro master, I could do on my Hohners. It was harder on the Hohners but in a way that is a good thing. Had I learned bends on the Suzuki, i doubt I could pull it off on any other harmonica.

I love my Suzuki but I recomend learning on a low end harmonica. If you can do it on a low end, you can do it on anything.

Luck with your choice.

Get a "Hohner Special 20"....They take a beating, which is important for a beginner. They also have a plastic body, which is a good thing, as the wooden ones swell...crack...and rip your lips up.

Special 20's can also be disassembled easily for cleaning, and can be dunked in a glass of water(or beer) before playing.....helps to bend your notes.

You'll need to buy several keys. If your playing "straight harp"... folksy, Dylan, Neil Young kinda stuff.....you'll buy a key to match the key of the tune, like if it's a C F G progression...you'd buy a "C" harp.

For blues, or "cross harp" where you'll be drawing more notes than blowing, you'll need to buy a harp 4 steps above the key your playing in. Like So:

Top row key of uke....bottom row key of harp......so, "E" uke "A" harp...."F" uke "Bb" harp..."G" uke "C" harp and so on...........Get it?

ABCDEFGABCDEFG
.......ABCDEFG.......("B" in this row is Bb...don't ask...it just is)

Worth the slightly higher price (around 30 bucks)

Have fun.....I played for many years on Special 20's....still do.....you can't go wrong.

Eric

Last edited:
thanks you guys for the kind words! i like that suzuki waterguy!

ive been practicing for only about a day :p but i can already play individual notes bend vibrato etc. i learned really fast! Its awesome! its not that hard for me! i was looking at this bad boy here, which is in the key of "c". is that ok? what key would be best? also its pretty and has a good price what do you think?

here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Lee-Oskar-1...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Get a "Hohner Special 20"....They take a beating, which is important for a beginner. They also have a plastic body, which is a good thing, as the wooden ones swell...crack...and rip your lips up.

Special 20's can also be disassembled easily for cleaning, and can be dunked in a glass of water(or beer) before playing.....helps to bend your notes.

You'll need to buy several keys. If your playing "straight harp"... folksy, Dylan, Neil Young kinda stuff.....you'll buy a key to match the key of the tune, like if it's a C F G progression...you'd buy a "C" harp.

For blues, where you'll be drawing more notes than blowing, you'll need to buy a harp 4 steps down from the key your playing in. Like So:

Top row key of uke....bottom row key of harp......so, "E" uke "A" harp...."F" uke "B" harp..."G" uke "C" harp and so on...........Get it?

Worth the slightly higher price (around 30 bucks)

Have fun.....I played for many years on Special 20's....still do.....you can't go wrong.

Eric

ZOMG MORE INFO! wow thanks alot here! i want to start out with just one to mess around with and play solo at school and such. what key would be best? is it just personal preference when it comes to that?

"C" is a good starter......."A" for blues, cross harp.

That Lee Oskar is a nice harp. You know who he is? Lee was the harmonica player in the band "War".......Low rider.....get a little higher......

I bought a few,nice harps for sure, but I still prefer Hohner.

Last edited:
"C" is a good starter.......A for blues, cross harp.

That Lee Oskar is a nice harp. You know who he is? Lee was the harmonica player in the band "War".......Low rider.....get a little higher......

I bought a few,nice harps for sure, but I still prefer Hohner.

yeah i know who he is haha. i love the look of that one and for 28 is a nice touch to! ok now to convince the parental units to let me use their paypal!!!!! haha im on it! going for the "c". I just got hired today finally after 6 months of searching for a job so many more in different keys are short to follow!

I second the vote for the Special 20. I actually started with a Lee Oskar and found them difficult to bend as a beginner. I went back to my Lee Oskar which I shelved and after a couple of months of working with the Special 20 and it was much easier. So, I'd stick with a Special 20 in the key of C for a beginner.

Also, I recently just tried the Bushman Delta Frost and liked it. The holes seem a bit larger (ever so slightly) than the Special 20 so I think it'd be easier to nail single notes on it. The downside is though you may be thrown off when going back to a Special 20 or Lee Oskar. I've been playing for 6-8 months now, mainly on Special 20's, so I can't be sure.

Good luck! If you're looking for harmonica instruction, look up Adam Gussow on YouTube. Fantastic instruction and he has downloadable lessons too -- but it's mostly blues and a little jazz. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about online resources for harmonica... I've been building a fair collection. :)

I second the vote for the Special 20. I actually started with a Lee Oskar and found them difficult to bend as a beginner. I went back to my Lee Oskar which I shelved and after a couple of months of working with the Special 20 and it was much easier. So, I'd stick with a Special 20 in the key of C for a beginner.

Also, I recently just tried the Bushman Delta Frost and liked it. The holes seem a bit larger (ever so slightly) than the Special 20 so I think it'd be easier to nail single notes on it. The downside is though you may be thrown off when going back to a Special 20 or Lee Oskar. I've been playing for 6-8 months now, mainly on Special 20's, so I can't be sure.

Good luck! If you're looking for harmonica instruction, look up Adam Gussow on YouTube. Fantastic instruction and he has downloadable lessons too -- but it's mostly blues and a little jazz. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about online resources for harmonica... I've been building a fair collection. :)

ok that is nice to know!

No love for the Marine Band?
And I will second the Adam Gusso vids. And he plays Marine Band harmonicas.

oh man so many choices! im looking online at sam ash and they have fairly reasonable prices on their hohner's! im thinking about snagging one tonight :D

Im in heaven with my little cheapy one! i can actually play individual notes now! haha. so has anyone made one of those little things you put around your neck???

oh man so many choices! im looking online at sam ash and they have fairly reasonable prices on their hohner's! im thinking about snagging one tonight :D

Im in heaven with my little cheapy one! i can actually play individual notes now! haha. so has anyone made one of those little things you put around your neck???

You should be able to buy a harmonica holder for around 10 bucks....it will last forever.
I've tried making my own......it's not worth the trouble. You need the wing nut adjustments, and spring loaded action of a store bought holder. I believe the Hohner brand are around 10 bucks.

i have a few different brands: hohner special 20, lee oskar, hohner golden melody. i rank them in that order as well.

if you want a cheap alternative, look for the huang star performer. its shaped and sounds quite similar to the hohner golden melody but costs under $10. you can bend notes just fine with them too.

good luck!

So i want a harmonica guys! REALLY BAD! i want to play along with my uke! so can anyone point me in the right direction to a nice harmonica? you know beginner ones preferably a diatonic. thanks!

-Don

Funny your'e asking, cuss when I was shopping at Target the other day I ran into a harmonica they have for sell and it comes with a learners book with notes and everything! I was thinking about putting it in the cart, but then my daughter broke my distraction of gettting it! It was pretty cheap at target or even wal mart carries dem!

For blues, or "cross harp" where you'll be drawing more notes than blowing, you'll need to buy a harp 4 steps above the key your playing in. Like So:

Top row key of uke....bottom row key of harp......so, "E" uke "A" harp...."F" uke "Bb" harp..."G" uke "C" harp and so on...........Get it?

ABCDEFGABCDEFG
.......ABCDEFG.......("B" in this row is Bb...don't ask...it just is)

You don't buy a key "4 steps above" you buy a key "one fourth above", which is 5 half steps.

You need to know your chromatic scale. It's easy. You can download my "Cheater Music Theory" pdf file on the Ukulele page of my site (link in sig) and it'll give you some good grounding but I'll quickly jump through the rules.

The chromatic scale consists of the letters A through G plus sharps (#) and flats (b). This makes 12 half steps.

There is a sharp/flat between every letter except B and C, and E and F. Therefore it looks like this:

A -- A#/Bb -- B -- C -- C#/Db -- D -- D#/Eb -- E -- F -- F#/Gb -- G -- G#/Ab

When you get to the end of the notes you "wrap around" do the beginning again. The sharps/flats are the same note, just named differently depending on the key. Don't stress overmuch about that right now.

So... If you want to play blues/rock/etc. in the key of G you start at G and...

1. Go up a half-step to G#
  2. Go up a half-step to A (note how you've wrapped around to the beginning)
  3. Go up a half-step to A#
  4. Go up a half-step to B
  5. Go up a half-step to C (remember, no sharp/flat between B/C or E/F)
... see? Five half-steps, aka a "perfect fourth" in music talk.

Work it out for F and you'll see why it turns out to be Bb.

It's even easier if you know your circle of fifths. It's one note counter-clockwise.

You don't buy a key "4 steps above" you buy a key "one fourth above", which is 5 half steps.

You need to know your chromatic scale. It's easy. You can download my "Cheater Music Theory" pdf file on the Ukulele page of my site (link in sig) and it'll give you some good grounding but I'll quickly jump through the rules.

The chromatic scale consists of the letters A through G plus sharps (#) and flats (b). This makes 12 half steps.

There is a sharp/flat between every letter except B and C, and E and F. Therefore it looks like this:

A -- A#/Bb -- B -- C -- C#/Db -- D -- D#/Eb -- E -- F -- F#/Gb -- G -- G#/Ab

When you get to the end of the notes you "wrap around" do the beginning again. The sharps/flats are the same note, just named differently depending on the key. Don't stress overmuch about that right now.

So... If you want to play blues/rock/etc. in the key of G you start at G and...

1. Go up a half-step to G#
  2. Go up a half-step to A (note how you've wrapped around to the beginning)
  3. Go up a half-step to A#
  4. Go up a half-step to B
  5. Go up a half-step to C (remember, no sharp/flat between B/C or E/F)
... see? Five half-steps, aka a "perfect fourth" in music talk.

Work it out for F and you'll see why it turns out to be Bb.

It's even easier if you know your circle of fifths. It's one note counter-clockwise.

Thanks Hobbit more information i never knew! its greatly appreciated!

Look for plastic (ABS) combs. Wooden combs are a pain to keep clean, and they swell with age and use. Plastic is easy to clean, too. Metal combs are nice, but a lot more expensive.

Best bang for the buck in diatonics: Suzuki Bluesmaster. Great, responsive reeds, very good price and durable as hell. Bushman sells a great harp, but their delivery and stock situation are spotty at best.

I also highly recommend Seydel harps - they're the oldest harmonica maker (older even than Hohner) and they have some terrific harps. They now have a US distributor and you can buy online.

If you can't get some of these locally, they're on eBay and sold through various websites. You can also look for a Lee Oskar or a Hohner Golden Melody. (the Hohner Special 20 is okay, but I think the Golden is a tad better and their inexpensive Big River is the loudest of the three).

Start with a C. Eventually you will probably want at least six major keys (C, G, D, Bb, F and A). Don't worry about the rest or the minors for now (but when you're ready there are two main minor tunings, as well as a Dorian tuning that are cool).

When you're up for some cool stuff, look for the Turbodog harps (Hohner harps with ergonomic, engineered covers).

Check my harmonica reviews for more.

Last edited:
Look for plastic (ABS) combs. Wooden combs are a pain to keep clean, and they swell with age and use. Plastic is easy to clean, too. Metal combs are nice, but a lot more expensive.

Best bang for the buck in diatonics: Suzuki Bluesmaster. Great, responsive reeds, very good price and durable as hell. Bushman sells a great harp, but their delivery and stock situation are spotty at best.

I also highly recommend Seydel harps - they're the oldest harmonica maker (older even than Hohner) and they have some terrific harps. They now have a US distributor and you can buy online.

If you can't get some of these locally, they're on eBay and sold through various websites. You can also look for a Lee Oskar or a Hohner Golden Melody. (the Hohner Special 20 is okay, but I think the Golden is a tad better and their inexpensive Big River is the loudest of the three).

Start with a C. Eventually you will probably want at least six major keys (C, G, D, Bb, F and A). Don't worry about the rest or the minors for now (but when you're ready there are two main minor tunings, as well as a Dorian tuning that are cool).

When you're up for some cool stuff, look for the Turbodog harps (Hohner harps with ergonomic, engineered covers).

Check my harmonica reviews for more.

I HAVE READ THEM ALL :D:D

very informative thank you! im leaning towards a Honer but i might snag a lee oskar im just not sure yet :confused:

Top Bottom