Wood buttons for Pono tuners?

cpmusic

Reaction score
I'd like to replace the metal tuner buttons on my Pono MGT with wood buttons, partly for looks but primarily to reduce weight on the headstock. Grover Mini Rotomatic buttons don't fit as the hole is too large, and I don't want to start buying buttons on the off chance that I'll luck into the right size.

Has anyone else found wood buttons that do the job?

I'd like to replace the metal tuner buttons on my Pono MGT with wood buttons, partly for looks but primarily to reduce weight on the headstock. Grover Mini Rotomatic buttons don't fit as the hole is too large, and I don't want to start buying buttons on the off chance that I'll luck into the right size.

Has anyone else found wood buttons that do the job?

Yes - the metal buttons made my Pono head heavy. No - I couldn't find wooden buttons. The problem is that the tuners on the pono have a shaft such that after market buttons can't get purchase on the shaft. I finally replace my tuners with a set of GOTOH micro tuners that weigh a fraction of the originals and give the uke good balance. They aren't a 1:1 fit and the original holes (filled and polished) still show, but I don't care because the made the Pono so much more pleasant to hold.

Thanks, folks. I had a feeling those buttons would be a tough find, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Waverly makes ukulele tuners with ebony or koa buttons and specs that appear to be a direct fit for the Pono tuners, but like all Waverlys, they're expensive. Grover Sta-tites may also fit, but they're on the cheap side of the fence in quality as well as price. I'll have to give this some thought.

For those who are interested, here's the listing at Stewmac: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Ukulele/Waverly_Ukulele_Tuners.html

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Grover open back are drop in fit for Pono open back as far as the two screw holes? I have on bad tiner on my AT. I like Grover.......they are smoother and wor great. Also, get inexpensive......only black and white plastic buttons though. In can live with black to get better, smoother performance.........

Top Bottom