Violele taking shape... Is it possible to...

If you are planning on using the standard violin tailpiece and a bridge like a violin, or a uke style bridge, you won't need the sound post for either. The sound post in a violin is meant to activate both top and back plates together and since a violin is a bowed instrument, that makes perfect sense. The string downward pressure on a violin is also greater than a uke. This uke you are putting together is going to be a plucked instrument and therefore you don't want the back to be envolved accept as a reflective plate. No sound post is needed and will in fact hinder the sound if you install one.

Thanks for the advice, so if I do attach a uke saddle, the violin top won't fold in on itself.

By saddle, I take it you mean the bridge. It won't matter what type of bridge arrangement you use, fixed or floating, the top will not fold in on itself. Under the top plate, there is also a bass bar glued in that runs top to bottom to help support the top, normally under the bass foot of a violin bridge. Uke strings will not put the same pressure on the top that violin strings do for many reasons.

Thanks for the advice, so if I do attach a uke saddle, the violin top won't fold in on itself.

Top Bottom