PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Ebony vs mahogany vs Acacia

clarkking
05-30-2015, 09:02 PM
I have found only two videos which to hear an ebony uku. These were both a kala model concert and tenor. My mind was set on a solid mahogany. These ebony models are actually of laminate construction but they sound a lot different than other woods i've heard. I guess the best way to describe the difference I'm hearing is that the Ebony seems to produce brighter crisper tones than other woods i've heard. I assume this may be due to ebony being harder and more dense.

Any opinions on this, I'd love to know what someone with more experience than myself would say about this.

Thank you,

C.

Mivo
05-31-2015, 11:25 AM
I have never heard an ebony ukulele "in real life", so I can't comment on those (they are less common, it seems, but I actually love the look - just googled pictures). It's a very hard wood, so I imagine the sound is more percussive than other wood types, but others here might have first hand experiences to share.

In my ears, acacia has a bright, lively, crisp-ish tone, whereas mahogany is a little warmer, more mellow. It's hard to describe, and words don't really convey sound well because we all have our own definitions of what "bright" or "mellow" means, and different instruments sounds different (also depends on the strings and string type). Acacia and mahogany aren't on opposite ends of the wood spectrum, so there isn't (to me) a stark contrast in how they sound.

Adrian Ortiga
06-01-2015, 04:30 AM
I have a custom ebony back and side, Spruce top tenor uke, amd recently borrowed my friend's solid mahogy kala and solid acacia kala. i can say that my ebony custom produces a sound inbetween mahogany and acaia but with good volume and this full fat sound. but take note every set of wood is different. I prefer my soruce/ebony tenor cause i do both fingerpicking and strumming , best of both worlds!

DownUpDave
06-01-2015, 10:01 AM
For the most part an all laminate uke will sound similar whether made from ebony laminate, mahogany laminate or acacia laminate if it is made by the same manufacture. There might be slight differences but not as prononunced as a solid wood. The thin veneer on the outside does not colour the sound enough to make a big difference from one laminate to the next assuming the manufacture is the same.