First fret harder to press?

matakazer

Reaction score
Is this normal? I find it harder to barre or fret down the first fret compared to frets which are further down. Maybe because I'm new?

Last edited:
Your action is too high, and your nut needs to be adjusted.

Your action is too high, and your nut needs to be adjusted.

In case you are not sure want that means. Action refers to the height your strings sit above the frets or fret board and nut is the white plastic looking thing that your strings sit on. There are slots cut into the nut that the string pass through or sit in. These can be filed deeper to lower the string height relative to the fretboard.

I have had my action lower on two ukes because of the same issue you are having and it makes a world of difference.

I did an estimated measurement with a ruler and it is about 1mm and 2mm on the 1st and 12th frets respectively. From the fret, not the fretboard. I am playing a tenor if it makes any difference.

I actually send it back to the shop once as I found a fuzz on first fret of C and E string. They kinda solved the issue as it's not that serious anymore, but I still do get buzz if I play the C string 1st fret hard enough. They said it's the way I'm plucking that caused buzz and they could bring the action higher if I want. They asked me to try other ukes and yes Indeed most of them have the same buzz, except for one.

So now, it seems contradicting that I have to lower the action? Or it could means the frets are not leveled?

Last edited:
I did an estimated measurement with a ruler and it is about 1mm and 2mm on the 1st and 12th frets respectively. From the fret, not the fretboard. I am playing a tenor if it makes any difference.

I actually send it back to the shop once as I found a fuzz on first fret of C and E string. They kinda solved the issue as it's not that serious anymore, but I still do get buzz if I play the C string 1st fret hard enough. They said it's the way I'm plucking that caused buzz and they could bring the action higher if I want. They asked me to try other ukes and yes Indeed most of them have the same buzz, except for one.

So now, it seems contradicting that I have to lower the action? Or it could means the frets are not leveled?

I did omit to say that on every stringed instrument it is harder to push the strings down on the first fret compared to the third or fifth or seventh. The closer to the nut the more tension there is so yes it is harder at the first fret The measurement you gave shows the action is not too high. Just time to practice a lot.

You could go with thinner lower tension strings, most times you will get callouses, on your fingertips if you play alot

If you're getting buzzing on all the ukes you tried, it sounds to me likeyou are plucking/strumming too hard; assuming they're properly set up and yours seems to be properly set up.

In which case, perhaps you need to be a bit more gentle in your playing.

Press as close to the fret as you can.

It does vary ukulele to ukulele. My Harmony has a zero fret, which also makes things interesting.

One of my "tests" on a uke is how well I can play a Bb. Not surprisingly, I play it the best on my most expensive ukulele. But my new $40 babysitting uke (a Zither Heaven) does well, too.

Top Bottom